Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Toplef10trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs I22gcj10trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Toplef10trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs I22gcj10trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs

+6
FamilyGardening
abeyerl
littlejo
camprn
walshevak
jazzymaddy
10 posters

Go down

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Empty trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs

Post  jazzymaddy 2/25/2012, 9:46 pm

Those three bugs really got me down last year. What companion plants can I grow that will repel these bugs? And how close do I have to plant said companions? Somewhere in the garden, or in the next square over?

Thanks y'all!
Tracy in SC
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Empty Re: trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs

Post  walshevak 2/25/2012, 10:13 pm

Start checking out row covers as well.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Empty Re: trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs

Post  camprn 2/25/2012, 10:24 pm

Barriers like tulle over your brassicas are helpful. Keep in mind the cabbage worm has 3 maybe 4 generations in a growing season, so you may want to use tulle all season. For the horn worms, for me, daily visual inspection and hand picking are what has worked. Squash bug were also a daily battle, as was keeping an eye out for the squash vine borer. Any eggs seen on squash get squished. HERE is a write up about organic control of squash bugs.
I am going to try something different this year. in the past I have direct sown squash into the garden. this year I think I will grow in pots and set out later then hopefully avoid the squash bugs. I need to do a bit more research on this.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/25/2012, 10:38 pm

Thinking back to last yr. I use lots of onions, and planted them sort of on the line between squares of tomatoes. I had no problem with the hornworms at all.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7941314_organic-hornworm-repellent.html

or

http://www.ehow.com/how_8211049_control-hornworms-hot-pepper.html
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/25/2012, 11:28 pm

Thank you all! This is so helpful. I think I will line my tomato squares with dill and basil and onions. And I'll keep my non-trellised box covered with my tulle. Glad I bought the drip irrigation system. Watering last year with the tulle was kind of a pain. Smile

Any other ideas are still welcome!

Thanks!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/26/2012, 6:58 am

don't forget the marigolds. Their odor is supposed to help with bugs. Besides they make a bed cheerful. I try to tuck one in or near every bed.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Empty Squash bugs

Post  abeyerl 2/27/2012, 11:19 am

I too live in South Carolina and have had to deal with all the pests you have. I tried row covers but once the blossoms set you have to take them off. The squash bugs just waited around until the row covers came off and then moved in. I have heard that Nasturtiums planted near the squash will help. I have not tried that yet. What did work better was to plant the squash late in the year and the squash bugs had already run their course. There were still some but not nearly as many. Best of luck!
abeyerl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/24/2012, 7:19 pm

hubby just finished two new raised beds in our back garden area.....he put hoops on them and on one of my SFG bed.....we bought tulle to put over them to keep out the cabbage moth this year.....Very Happy

the tulle we bought had to be cut into two seperate sections....to fit the hoops.....how do you all attach the telle to the hoops?
has anyone tried velcro?
thanks

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/24/2012, 7:36 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:hubby just finished two new raised beds in our back garden area.....he put hoops on them and on one of my SFG bed.....we bought tulle to put over them to keep out the cabbage moth this year.....Very Happy

the tulle we bought had to be cut into two seperate sections....to fit the hoops.....how do you all attach the telle to the hoops?
has anyone tried velcro?
thanks

hugs

rose

1" binder clips from the office store is the easiest to get hold of right away. Boffer makes clips from pvc. The kind Boffer makes are sold at a greenhouse supply. Can't remember where I saw them.

Kay

found some at Territorial Seed http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1657/171

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 3/24/2012, 8:59 pm

I bought the fancy PVC clips last year, and when I tried to fit them over the hoops, I kept ripping little holes in the tulle. So I got the 1" binder clips, and they are perfect. My tulle may be weaker than others, so I wouldn't discourage trying them out if that sounds good to you.

A question for abeyerl: when do you find that the squash bugs are finished for the most part?

Thanks.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/24/2012, 9:47 pm

thanks Very Happy

i like the idea of the binder clips....see what hubby thinks Very Happy sounds like it would make it easier to open and close Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/25/2012, 2:03 am

Binder clips brillant!trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 3170584802
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 3/25/2012, 5:05 am

Binder clips are a good idea. I used hair clips, the big rounded ones slip perfectly around the pvc pipes Smile And got them from The Dollar Tree, 3 per pack!
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/25/2012, 6:35 am

Nice, you guys are great at thinking outside the box. LOL
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs Empty when the squash bugs leave

Post  abeyerl 3/25/2012, 3:43 pm

For jazzymaddy, I found that starting seeds in pots in mid-May then transplanting them to the garden in late June worked better. I still covered them with row covers until they set blossoms. I may wait even later this year.
abeyerl

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 5:39 pm

abeyerl wrote:I too live in South Carolina and have had to deal with all the pests you have. I tried row covers but once the blossoms set you have to take them off. The squash bugs just waited around until the row covers came off and then moved in. I have heard that Nasturtiums planted near the squash will help. I have not tried that yet. What did work better was to plant the squash late in the year and the squash bugs had already run their course. There were still some but not nearly as many. Best of luck!

Why do you have to remove the covers when the blossoms appear? Are they self-pollinating? Or do they need a pollinator?

Has anyone tried white bread bag clips as a decoy for the cabbage moth? I saw it on a video from an Aussie garden guru. I've got 4 clips so far...going to the grocery store to see if the bakery use them and will give or sell me a few...my Brussels sprout gets the most attention from the moth. (If not, I'm tempted to try and make my own from dairy containers I've previously cut for plant labels.) It has 3 clips on it now, and the moth never stopped on it while I was there, although it kept flitting around my brassicas!

They say the clips look like a moth is already on the leaf, so the real moth flies away. Territorial are they! affraid
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  abeyerl 4/9/2012, 7:05 pm

They are not self-pollinating so you have to remove the covers for the bees to have access. It would be nice if we could grow them in a bubble. I am worried about this year since we had virtually no cold weather to kill off the bugs lying dormant in the dirt:twisted: .
abeyerl

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 4/9/2012, 7:28 pm

AvaDGardener,
Where can I find that Aussie garden guru video about fooling the Cabbage Butterfly? Meanwhile, I created fake white butterflies from yogurt containers and posted them on bamboo sticks. I only had yellow bread clips. I am very willing to try a non-chemical method to save my Kale.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 10:37 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:AvaDGardener,
Where can I find that Aussie garden guru video about fooling the Cabbage Butterfly? Meanwhile, I created fake white butterflies from yogurt containers and posted them on bamboo sticks. I only had yellow bread clips. I am very willing to try a non-chemical method to save my Kale.
Rose...are you in Pasadena?

Here is the idea in action with the bag clips. No cabbage moths, worms or eggs on any of the brassicas (this Brussels sprout, a broccoli in flower, a cabbage, and a yet headless cauliflower). Not claiming victory yet, as it's only been a day!
trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 17_whi10

I DID find a fat cabbage worm running away from my lettuce 3 boxes over. He made the most delightful squish and green juice!

Must get more tabs to put all around the garden!

THEN I saw this...6 cabbage moths dancing in a column, 2 others on the outskirts of the dance, twisting and moving along, looking like they were on an air current (but it was still). I was amazed as I watched, almost forgot I had my camera! I took them on backdrop of the tree, but zoomed in, it looks like spots between the leaves!

Mating ritual perhaps?
trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs White_10
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/11/2012, 2:44 am

great idea about the bread clips and hair clips Very Happy

thanks for the pic of the dancing moth's trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 936924162

well....hubby put up the telle as soon as i told him that the moths were all over his collard greens trying to avoid hornworms, cabbage worms and squash bugs 53366 funny thing though......i hadnt seen any moths around our broc and cauli box's.....in those two box's we planted a lot of onions and garlic.....i read that the moth will smell the onions and garlic and move on ......

went out this morning and all look very happy under their new vails.....im just waiting to find one of those pesty moths flying around under there Laughing ....i told my hubby it looked like a perfect moth aviary for those little guys What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 4/11/2012, 11:53 am

The picture clearly explains how you used it! Thanks for posting it. I will look for those clips next time I buy bread. Yes, Ava, I live in Pasadena. I did blast my Kale with water yesterday in the morning but as I was cutting some out for dinner I discovered small whiteflies under the Kale leaves. So obviously I didn't blast correctly under the leaves.

Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/13/2012, 12:04 am

Hair clips? FamilyGardening...what did I say? (sometimes I say the dumbest things!)

Rose, I haven't tried to wash off the eggs. I just scrape them off and squish.

There were no worms on the Brussells sprout plant, but there was a tiny one on the lower leaf of the broccoli. It has no clips on it...for now! Still haven't made it to a bakery to ask for more...I'm just grabbing them off loaves we buy, and twists used for bags of potatoes.

Irony - the cabbage has no damage from the cabbage worm, but the other cole crops do!

Only bugs this afternoon were bees! Rain is on the way - maybe that is why they are confused and polinating at the wrong hours?

I noticed at the store tonight everything had a white tag, which is 'fresh bread' for Friday (tomorrow), according to Snopes.com.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down