Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Toplef10Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening I22gcj10Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Toplef10Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening I22gcj10Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening

+4
Lavender Debs
FarmerValerie
shannon1
Uprooted
8 posters

Go down

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Empty Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening

Post  Uprooted 4/23/2011, 1:30 am

Just wondering if by any chance vertical gardening of zucchini makes them any more resistant to squash vine borers? I guess it's not likely since the eggs are laid in the soil and they tunnel into the vine at the base and can still do that whether the vine is growing up or sprawling on the ground. But a girl can hope, right?

I lose my squash plants every summer to the borer/squash bug team before I've had time to get sick of the produce. I would love to have the chance to be that obnoxious gardener who inflicts her overabundance of zucchini on friends, family and neighbors this year! Very Happy

I just read an great article on Gardens Alive about borers which suggests wiping down vines w/ insecticidal soap every week (smothers the caterpillar) and another link said Neem oil is effective against the squash bugs. I just don't see myself either using row covers or injecting vines with anything, but I have gotten out the razor blade to extract the borer. Worked quite well -- until the inevitable squash bug infestation demolished the poor plant shortly thereafter.

Any practical wisdom?
Uprooted

Back to top Go down

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Empty Re: Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening

Post  shannon1 4/23/2011, 1:58 am

I like to use gardens alive superlight insect barrier of corse you must either uncover when bees are present and recover, or be the bee to pollenate the squash but the squash bugs and other biglegged bugs never get a chance to invade.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Empty Re: Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening

Post  Uprooted 4/23/2011, 9:08 am

So do you leave it on all season when the plants are huge? If so, does it have to be tucked in all around down to the base in order to prevent the buggies from getting in? I'm having a hard time picturing how it works. I'd like to try staking the vine to a green fence post like I saw in someone's photos on here.
Uprooted

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/23/2011, 9:16 am

I lost my battle with squash bugs last year due to a back injury that sidelined me for almost 4 months. Here is a post I shared on how I started out the season, and what I learned while on my back to help prevent them from getting ahead, although I've already killed a couple of cuke bugs.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6023-how-to-keep-away-the-pests
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/23/2011, 9:17 am

FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/23/2011, 9:41 am

FarmerValerie wrote:I lost my battle with squash bugs last year due to a back injury that sidelined me for almost 4 months. ....snip
I had no idea that the battle was so heated! Be strong Val!

And to the OP, I'm from the NW and sorry to intrude on this important discussion. Welcome to the board (I think I did notice you were at 6 on the post count)

Deborah....who gives beer to slugs and shakes her head in shock at what southern gardeners must overcome.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/23/2011, 9:45 am

Debs, I've had back "trouble" for as long as I can remember, add to that 4 babies and 25 years of hard work, last year just hit me hard. I'm taking it slow now, and keeping up with my work outs and yoga, I'm gonna hit those suckers hard this year. I also realized that with summer squash I can keep planting the stuff. I have 2 successsive plantings out there, and if I begin to see signs of them, I'll just do another planting. I still may yet do a seperate from the garden planting, leave it untreated, and torch it.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/23/2011, 11:47 pm

Yes I keep it on all season. I use hoops of PVC to support it (but you don't have to) and when I had my on the ground SFG I used discarded broom and mop handles gathered from friends held down by U pins. I did that because it is so windy here if I just used pins alone the cover would tear. So yes, tucked in all around if not they enemy will find a way in.

Here are what the U pins look like

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 8786
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Onepixel

8786U-Shaped Pins Pkg of 25
1 - 2 $4.95 Qty
3+ $4.45

Other Useful Items:
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 1980Turbo-Tomato!TM MulchSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonmoreinfo
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Greenpixel
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 2005Floating Row CoversSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 2111Escar-Go!® Slug & Snail ControlSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 8349Vegetables Alive!® FertilizerSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening CM1210Stay Organic Garden ClubSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 1298Quick-TiesTM Velcro® TapeSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow

Recently Viewed:
Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 82274Super-Light Insect BarrierSquash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening Buttonbuynow
"U" Shaped Pins

Reusable year after year!

Anchor your row covers and Weed Barrier Mats with these heavy-duty, non-galvanized wire pins. These pins hold better in soil than plastic or galvanized pins do because they “bond” to the soil as they rust. Reuse year after year.
U pins are in most garden centers.

I did not cover my verticaly grown toms but sewed draw string pouches out of the SLIB cloth to cover toms so the stink and squash bugs did not make hard spots and ruin the fruit.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Uprooted 4/30/2011, 10:24 pm

So someplace (maybe in one of the links one of you provided above? Or in one of the links from one of those sites?) someone recommended wrapping reemay around the vines to keep the borers from getting in in the first place; the source said to start out under the soil line. But then I thought, wait a minute -- zucchini vines start out little and spindly and end up being big and fat -- wouldn't the reemay just split like the shirt on the Hulk? Anyone ever tried this?
Uprooted

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/30/2011, 11:51 pm

What's reemay?
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Uprooted 5/3/2011, 5:22 pm

Sorry, Reemay is a brand name for the floating row cover fabric.
Uprooted

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/6/2011, 12:09 am

Squash bugs and squash vine borers and vertical gardening 109486
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 5/6/2011, 10:48 am

Last year I had volunteer pumpkins and read that wrapping the vines with old pantyhose works to keep out the vine borers. I didn't have any problem with them last year and will do the menthod again this year. The hose stretches with the vine better than other materials so it worked really well. Good luck.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/6/2011, 4:58 pm

Maybe I'm going to have to start wearing pantyhose again.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/6/2011, 5:10 pm

elliephant wrote:Maybe I'm going to have to start wearing pantyhose again.

I bet acara is thinking the same thing! Wink

Oops, I forgot, that would be just on weekends, according to him.

Last edited by boffer on 5/6/2011, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 5/6/2011, 11:02 pm

Boffer, you forgot what?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down