Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

+22
OhioGardener
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
BlackjackWidow
kristi@cookcraftcultivate
countrynaturals
sanderson
camprn
CiderSapling
ashort
Furbalsmom
Goosegirl
shannon1
boffer
Windsor.Parker
ericam
plantoid
javaaddict
RoOsTeR
yolos
newstart
madnicmom
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Empty Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  madnicmom 2/24/2012, 9:12 am

CARROTS

Family: Carrot

Height: up to 12 inches

Spacing: 16/sq. ft.

Growing season:

Spring - everyone

Summer - everyone

Fall - everyone

Winter - southern regions.

Earliest and Last outdoor planting:

3 weeks before last spring frost, or 10 weeks before first fall frost

Disease/Pests:

Carrot fly - Carrot flies do not fly above 24 inches, so carrots in a table top are immune from them.

Resource: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot_fly (Thank you Boffer for this info!)

Companion planting:

Onions, Leeks and herbs (Rosemary, Wormwood and Sage) act as a repellant to the carrot fly. Carrots help peas.

Lettuces do well with carrots

Parsley mixed with carrot seeds helps to repel carrot flies by its masking aroma.

Resource: Carrots Love Tomatoes - Louise Riotte, pages 33,96-97, 123 copyright 1975

Planting techniques: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7901-better-way-to-plant-carrot-seeds?highlight=carrot+fly

http://chiotsrun.com/2009/03/19/square-foot-gardening-templates/

http://www.green-cityzen.com/in-the-garden/square-foot-planting-templates/

Watering:

Carrots like it moist at all times. Keep them moist until they are almost mature, then you can back off the watering. I, personally, water with a watering can in the beginning since they are very shallow in the ground and my nozzle on the garden hose can't get to a gentle shower. I have disturbed them with watering with too much water pressure.

General info:

Carrot seeds are very small making them very tedious to plant, you can try the techniques listed above or hand plant. Plant at least 2 seeds per hole and thin when they are about 1 inch tall. Thinning is the "key" to get the best yield. They are slow to germinate (1-3 weeks) and love temps 60F-70F. They can tolerate some shade but not much. The varieties range from Giant to dwarf (golf ball size) with the Danvers being the most popular. They come in a variety of colors (white,purple,red) but the coloring does not affect the flavor. To ensure sweet/tender carrots, harvest them young before maturity. To see if your carrots are maturing, just take your finger and work the dirt away from the tops. Don't let the sun bleach the tops, so cover them back up.

If you choose longer varieties for your SFG: you will need to build your square up. See page 61 or http://www.squarefootgardening.com/products/Top-Hat-box-for-Carrots%2CLeeks-%26-Potatoes.html or https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5273-extra-deep-boxes

http://carrotgardeningtips.com/

All other information obtained in ANSFG book pages 61, 192, 201-202,

See the colors of Carrots: http://www.seedrack.com/carrots.html?gclid=CPy1kdupy60CFUHc4AodeRQ-hw

Other informational sites: http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/cultivation.html includes video on how to save seeds, if you’re interested. (Thank You Camprn) and http://carrotgardeningtips.com/

Interesting facts for cow and goat owners: They give more and richer milk when fed on member of the Umbelliferae family. (Umbelliferae - plants having flowers in umbels: parsley; carrot; anise; caraway; celery; dill). Goats with worms may be relieved by feeding them carrots.

Resource: Carrots Love Tomatoes - Louise Riotte page 87,104

Wintering Carrots: Napoli variety work well. Sow those 10-12 weeks before first fall frost. We can place a hoop house over the bed just before the first frost and harvest throughout the winter until ground is frozen solid. This is utilizing cool-soil storage. I’ve done this and it works great.

Resource: The Winter Harvest Handbook Eliot Coleman page 80-81.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  newstart 2/24/2012, 9:18 am

that was great thank you.

so they are great for tomatoes. Can you plant in the same square or next square over ?
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/24/2012, 11:26 am

Tomatoes love carrots but carrots do not love tomatoes??????. I have been researching companion planting on the web and have found a number of sources disagreeing with the "carrots love tomatoes" statment. Apparently tomatoes will stunt the growth of carrots but not change their flavor. study Don't know if that is true. I am getting ready to order the book "Great Garden Companions" by Sally Jean Cunningham and also "Carrots Love Tomatoes". So I shall get two different perspectives on companion planting.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/24/2012, 11:45 am

yolos wrote:Tomatoes love carrots but carrots do not love tomatoes??????. I have been researching companion planting on the web and have found a number of sources disagreeing with the "carrots love tomatoes" statment. Apparently tomatoes will stunt the growth of carrots but not change their flavor. study Don't know if that is true. I am getting ready to order the book "Great Garden Companions" by Sally Jean Cunningham and also "Carrots Love Tomatoes". So I shall get two different perspectives on companion planting.

Curious minds want to know Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  936924162

Kim, I know you've been really busy, so thanks for taking the time to cover and start another great topic for us!!

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/24/2012, 12:22 pm

newstart wrote:that was great thank you.

so they are great for tomatoes. Can you plant in the same square or next square over ?

LOL, No, "Carrots love Tomatoes" is a book about companion planting.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 2/24/2012, 12:26 pm

I'm so excited to plant carrots. I need to construct a fence around them to keep my 2 year old out of them though, he'll just pull them up and eat them. Not unlike any other veggie out there, but he loves the carrots.
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/24/2012, 12:30 pm

javaaddict, I know the feeling. Last thanksgiving, I harvested some for dinner and before I knew it, my 4yr old was eating them with dirt and all. lol!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/24/2012, 1:02 pm

Don't believe all you read in wikipedia have a look in wikileaks & wikirubbish as well...Wink Laughing

Here in the UK it is often spouted that the dreaded carrot fly does not fly above 18 inches from the ground ....so put up a 24 inch clear plastic sheet around your carrots.

I can only say I must have some olympic medal contenders here for the top edge of my raised beds are 900 mm high ....thats three feet from the ground folks , yet my carrots got slaughtered before I put some nematode controls in the beds .

Once I discovered I had a prolblem with the carot fly I pulled out all the baby carrots ( then rotted them down in a bucket of water to kill off any eggs or grubs ).

I used the nematodes on the beds and left the beds without carrots for three weeks just incase there were any eggs still in the ground . I ended up sowing the seeds late when according to all the " experts " the carrot fly should have been long gone , then gave the beds two more nematodes doses as the temperatures reached strike temperatures before christmas .

A few weeks ago I cleared the beds which had these over wintered carrots , it didn't look as they had done much growing . Loads of carrots about as long as my little fingeer and just about as fat came out really easily .

On checking these fingerling carrots a good 1/3 were damaged by carrot rootfly maggots.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 2/24/2012, 2:07 pm

madnicmom wrote:
newstart wrote:that was great thank you.

LOL, No, "Carrots love Tomatoes" is a book about companion planting.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed sorry didnt sleep well lat night I was fearing my dentist appt. now that i REREAD the post i get it lol
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 2/24/2012, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the great info, I'm a newbie to SFG and vege gardening so I planted a square of carrots last week to have a test run before the challenge and you just answered a bunch of questions that I hadn't gotten around to looking up answers for yet!

Now to find out if we get carrot fly in Australia....
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/24/2012, 5:08 pm

[b]Interesting facts for cow and goat owners: They give more and richer milk when fed on member of the Umbelliferae family. (Umbelliferae - plants having flowers in umbels: parsley; carrot; anise; caraway; celery; dill). Goats with worms may be relieved by feeding them carrots.

That is an interesting fact I did not know!! albino

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/24/2012, 8:34 pm

Kim,
Thanks for all the great info! This will be my first try with carrots. Just hoping my 2y/o seed (Nantes Coreless) will produce.
Lee
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/24/2012, 9:19 pm

Windsor.Parker wrote:Kim,
Thanks for all the great info! This will be my first try with carrots. Just hoping my 2y/o seed (Nantes Coreless) will produce.
Lee
That shouldn't be a problem. Just remember they are slow to germinate.

I'm not a very precise carrot seed planter: thinning with scissors is a must for me. I wait until the plant is two inches tall to thin. That makes it much easier to distinguish which leaves belong to which plant.

Carrots are one of those veggies that get sweeter after a frost or two.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/24/2012, 9:40 pm

Carrot seeds are so small, at one time I thought about putting them on seed tape. Then it occurred to me that if I could place the tiny seeds on tape, I could just as easily place them in the ground cyclops

Boffer, have you tried any of the colored varieties that you are particularly impressed with?

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/24/2012, 10:57 pm

Words of wisdom admin!lol! with you! I want to talk about my carrot "plan" but I can't stop Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  930802 .
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/25/2012, 5:00 am

Carrot fly - Carrot flies do not fly above 24 inches, so carrots in a table top are immune from them.

i want to believe. i was not paying attention and planted peppers in my carrot squaresFriday Rookie Topic: Carrots  926169 guess I'll replant.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/25/2012, 8:19 am

shannon1 wrote:Carrot fly - Carrot flies do not fly above 24 inches, so carrots in a table top are immune from them.

i want to believe. i was not paying attention and planted peppers in my carrot squaresFriday Rookie Topic: Carrots  926169 guess I'll replant.

OOPS!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/25/2012, 5:06 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:Carrot seeds are so small, at one time I thought about putting them on seed tape. Then it occurred to me that if I could place the tiny seeds on tape, I could just as easily place them in the ground cyclops

The biggest difference (for me) in placing those tiny seeds on tapes or directly outside, is if you are making seed tapes, you are usually indoors with no wind to blow them around before you get them placed and covered. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  370856013
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/25/2012, 5:22 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:
nKedrOoStEr wrote:Carrot seeds are so small, at one time I thought about putting them on seed tape. Then it occurred to me that if I could place the tiny seeds on tape, I could just as easily place them in the ground cyclops

The biggest difference (for me) in placing those tiny seeds on tapes or directly outside, is if you are making seed tapes, you are usually indoors with no wind to blow them around before you get them placed and covered. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  370856013

True. True. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  3085260134

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  Empty companion plants to reduce pests.

Post  plantoid 2/25/2012, 5:52 pm

As I've already said I had a major loss of my sense of humour when my 36 inch high raised brick bed got ripped off by the dreaded carrot fly .

A few seconds ago I did a search for something else and found a decent list of supposedly useable companion plants to use along side your veg etc to help ward off pests .

Amazingly in it is something for carrot root fly which did surprise me for I have always been told nothing that's legally available/ approved for use by the private citizen will stop them.

(Unless you have a farming chemicals purchase licence etc. & use farming chemicals on them ).

Anyway here is the list ..it might be worth making a note of some things on it.

Using Herbs As Companion Plants to Deter Pests

• Aphids - Chives, Coriander, Nasturtium

• Ants - Tansy

• Asparagus Beetle - Pot Marigold

• Bean Beetle - Marigold, Nasturtium, Rosemary

• Cabbage Moth - Hyssop, Mint (also clothes moths), Oregano, Rosemary, Sage, Southernwood, Tansy, Thyme

• Carrot Fly - Rosemary, Sage

• Flea Beetle - Catmint (Contains nepetalactone, an insect repellent. Steep in water and spray on plants.), Mint

• Flies - Basil, Rue

• Fruit Tree Moths - Southernwood

• Japanese Beetles - Garlic & Rue (When used near roses and raspberries), Tansy

• Potato Bugs - Horseradish

• Mosquitoes - Basil, Rosemary

• Moths - Santolina

• Nematodes - Marigold (Marigolds should be established for at least 1 year before their nematode deterring properties will take effect.)

• Savory, Winter - Some insect repelling qualities

• Squash Bugs & Beetles - Nasturtium, Tansy

• Ticks - Lavender (Also thought to repel mice and moths.)

• Tomato Horn Worm - Borage, Pot Marigold
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 2/25/2012, 6:02 pm

Plantoid, you had me worried there for a minute, I have that companion planting suggestion listed. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  43549 LOL
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/26/2012, 4:16 am

plantoid wrote: I have always been told nothing that's legally available/ approved for use by the private citizen will stop them.
One thing that will stop them for sure is super light insect barrier.Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 3/1/2012, 12:01 pm

Nice job on carrots! I always have a problem with a few not germinating when I plant single seeds, maybe I will try the boffer method....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  CiderSapling 3/1/2012, 12:19 pm

We love carrots and a lot of the compainion plantings but lose all of the above ground greenery to butterfly larvea. Tough problem, because we also love the butterflies. Does anyone know if the herb companion plants to deter moths will help?

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  1280598131
CiderSapling
CiderSapling

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/2/2012, 2:47 am

CiderSapling wrote:We love carrots and a lot of the compainion plantings but lose all of the above ground greenery to butterfly larvea. Tough problem, because we also love the butterflies. Does anyone know if the herb companion plants to deter moths will help?

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  1280598131
I do not but you could plant some dill in a pot and relocate the butterfly larva there. The ones that like carrots also like dill. I plant extra every summer just for them.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next