Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? Toplef10carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? I22gcj10carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? Toplef10carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? I22gcj10carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:36 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:34 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Better way to plant carrot seeds?

+5
BackyardBirdGardner
Furbalsmom
Lurach
camprn
milaneyjane
9 posters

Go down

carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? Empty Better way to plant carrot seeds?

Post  milaneyjane 6/14/2011, 11:18 am

I have no problem personally planting carrot seeds at home, but the carrots planted at the school garden didn't do so well. I worked with the kids to plant the gardens, but since it is a learning process for them, they actually do all the planting. I don't quite know what went wrong, but in 4 squares of carrots, we maybe have 10 carrots growing. I am thinking that the small seed size played a roll in it since the kids couldn't even see the seeds once they were on the dirt. Any good suggestions for next year on a better way to plant carrot seeds? I thought it was pretty straight forward. We actually took the square and drew four lines in the square 1/4 inch deep and I had them plant the four rows. I have heard of mixing them with sand.

I ended up planting beets in the squares yesterday just to fill them in.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? Empty Re: Better way to plant carrot seeds?

Post  camprn 6/14/2011, 11:25 am

My first thought is: use papertowels that are about 12"x12", a light layer of spray adhesive, sprinkle the carrot seed then put another paper towel on top. then plant the whole paper towel. :?:
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

carrot fly - Better way to plant carrot seeds? Empty Re: Better way to plant carrot seeds?

Post  Lurach 6/14/2011, 11:46 am

Great idea with the paper towel, camprn! Another trick is to cut strips of toilet paper and place drops of glue at the appropriate intervals, then use tweezers to drops 2-3 seeds onto each drop of glue. Cut the strips into 12" lengths, then place the 12" strips in the appropriate places within your squares. (Ok, I stole the idea from Garden Girl, but I adapted my version for SFG. =P) Best of luck!

~Lu
Lurach
Lurach

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/14/2011, 4:23 pm

At the Children's Garden here in my little town, we used a single layer of 12X12 paper towels (most are double layers), placed drops of Elmers Glue All at the appropriate spacing, but don't be stingy with the seeds like I was, make sure you use 2 or 3 seeds on each drop of glue. Situate in SFQ, then cover the paper towel lightly with soil, and keep moist until they sprout.

We have nice lettuces, radishes, carrot and beets planted this way and the spacing is great.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/14/2011, 6:53 pm

If it were me, I would move the top layer of MM to the side with my hand, broadcast the seeds as best I could into 4 short rows, cover up with the MM I moved aside, and lightly pat it down. Those seeds are so small for little kids.....and big kids. I would also be prepared to go back and thin in a couple weeks without the kids.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  scooter 6/15/2011, 5:41 pm

Some places sell pelleted seeds... cost per seed increases, but maybe so much easier to handle and less thinning that it washes out in the end.

I used regular seed this year, but next year I am going to give pelleted a shot for carrots and lettuce...
scooter

Back to top Go down

Post  bev 6/15/2011, 10:05 pm

I used seed tape carrots this year (purchased, not home-made). They are more expensive - I think it was $2.79 for 15 feet but they are growing great.
bev

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 6/16/2011, 6:41 am

How about getting them some wide spaced wire mesh, cut to the size of a square and they can drop one seed into each hole, or into every third or fourth hole, in the mesh?
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 6/16/2011, 5:00 pm

The paper towel/toilet paper idea is a good one. Works just fine.

With my carrots, I typically spread out the seeds on a paper plate and wet my finger so the seeds stick. I then dust with a little dirt to cover. I had some carrots last year that looked like they came straight from the store (nice, straight & long).

TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down