Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First timer...first year Bean question Toplef10First timer...first year Bean question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First timer...first year Bean question I22gcj10First timer...first year Bean question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First timer...first year Bean question Toplef10First timer...first year Bean question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First timer...first year Bean question I22gcj10First timer...first year Bean question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

First timer...first year Bean question

+3
jpatti
littlejo
VintageHippie
7 posters

Go down

First timer...first year Bean question Empty First timer...first year Bean question

Post  VintageHippie 2/20/2012, 9:07 pm

This is my very first year with SFG. Hubby and I are newbies....and we have a master gardener coach that is helping us (thankfully).

However, I have a green bean question: In our area, many gardeners are having trouble with green beans--little flavor, poor color, etc. It's been going on for about five years now. I have four varieties that have been suggested to me (we're ONLY doing heirlooms, AND pole beans BTW). How much yield do you get from a single square of green beans with SFG approx. in an average year?

Since we're REALLY new at this, we've got a 5 year longitudinal plan for development, and this bean thing is really hard to figure. I don't want so much that I can't eat them all, but I'd really like to try all four varieties to see which ones I want to continue with for the next four years of development.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
VintageHippie
VintageHippie

Back to top Go down

First timer...first year Bean question Empty Re: First timer...first year Bean question

Post  littlejo 2/20/2012, 11:25 pm

If all four varieties are pole beans, I'd only plant 1 or 2 squares. 8 seeds per square, 4 of each variety. ther you can try them and see how you like them. Pole beans put on a grunch of beans. I don't have any idea 'how many'

Bush beans usually put on all at once, but I only had about 10 plants and had to put some in the freezer, with only 2 people eating them.

Did they find out what was causing the green bean problem?

My suggestion is to be sure to get your seed from a reputable company, preferred either herloom or organic. Don't buy from the same folks that the other gardeners did. May be a genetic thing (GMO) or may be a disease in your area.

By the way WELCOME!!!Very Happy
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

First timer...first year Bean question Empty Beans...

Post  VintageHippie 2/21/2012, 10:48 am

Thanks for the advice. I have been talking with our local extension agent, the local master gardener and my individual coach, and no one seems to know why our beans are so....um...odd. They had been blaming it on the rain till last year when we had a normal amount of rain vs sun, but they still were awful. Nearly all gardeners in my area use the traditional half runners and of course, everyone locally except a small handful of us use commercial GMO seeds. That's one of numerous reasons I will only use heirlooms. My beans will also be a local "experiment" for us all as the varieties I am choosing are not normally grown locally but are fine for my zone. We hope that they will be more "flavorful" and "normal."
VintageHippie
VintageHippie

Back to top Go down

First timer...first year Bean question Empty Re: First timer...first year Bean question

Post  jpatti 2/21/2012, 11:19 am

I do Kentucky Blue and a romano type each year. I usually plant around 3-4 squares of each.

Hard to say how much I get. There's a point where I'm only getting a few handfuls and am greedy to keep the plants well-picked. Then they take off and there's the point where there's gobs and I have to start freezing (I don't like either canned or dried green beans).
Then there is the point (I'm ashamed) where I'm sick of beans and quit picking and let them dry in the pods and quit producing. Wink

My Bountiful Garden catalog says to expect 30-100 lbs of green beans per 100 square foot planted at 6 inches - this assumes using biointensive planting, which isn't quite the same as SFG, but is about planting closely in very fertile soil, so is similar WRT to yields. So I'd assume 3-10 lbs per square IF you keep them picked. If you stop, the plant decides it's done and after the seed pods dry, you can harvest dry beans if you want.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

First timer...first year Bean question Empty thanks, jpatti

Post  VintageHippie 2/21/2012, 11:41 am

One of the varieties that is doing "ok" here is KY Blue. It's not as good as it was, but it's still better than the others. Actually, your description helps a lot. Pounds/numbers of beans doesn't help me as much as saying a "mess" or a "potful" or whatever to me. Very Happy I think that if I use the recommendations here I should be able to get enough of each type to see what tastes good, which ones are less trouble, and which ones can be seed saved easiest from the recommendations here. I am used to bush beans with very long rows of them and I didn't want that large of a yield when I'm experimenting.

As of now, I'm planning Climbing French, Ideal Market, Mayflower (a heritage variety), and Cherokee Trail of Tears (also a heritage variety). I hope that the Mayflower and Cherokee grow well since they're a heritage variety and I'd love to help continue the species. French and Market are traditional beans as far as looks/yield, so I figured I'd do two traditionals that are NOT being grown here and two heritage varieties.

Anyone grown these? Liked them? Hated them?
VintageHippie
VintageHippie

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/21/2012, 1:22 pm

We are doin Asian long beans again this year. Last year we could get a meal at least once a week from 4 squares planted 3 vines each. ( My son didn't belive me on spacing.) A single bean is half a serving for the little one.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/21/2012, 4:07 pm

VintageHippie wrote:This is my very first year with SFG. Hubby and I are newbies....and we have a master gardener coach that is helping us (thankfully).

Just make sure your master gardener coach understands SFG or at least does not lead you astray on the basics.

It is interesting about the flavor of the beans. If you have had a variety of sun to rain and temp experiences and it still is the same then maybe the soil? If this is your first year using MM it will be interesting to see. Just seems odd.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 2/21/2012, 5:16 pm

"Just make sure your master gardener coach understands SFG or at least does not lead you astray on the basics."

So true....and hilarious
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 2/21/2012, 7:32 pm

For bush beans, I average about 1 pound of green beans per square (Derby,Bush Blue Lake). I plant 9 seeds per square.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down