Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Toplef106 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 I22gcj106 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Toplef106 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 I22gcj106 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by markqz Today at 11:01 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, June 2015

+14
CapeCoddess
mollyhespra
yolos
AtlantaMarie
DeborahC
sdugas164
Marc Iverson
donnainzone5
sanderson
ImperfectPotager
boffer
NHGardener
quiltbea
camprn
18 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: New England, June 2015

Post  CapeCoddess 6/4/2015, 4:34 pm

The clear blue sky is great today but I sure wish someone would turn down the air conditioning and shut off the blower. My little summer plants are shivering outside, and it seems crazy to keep pulling the space heaters out of the closet every morning to warm the house.
Rolling Eyes
At least the leafy greens like it , but  the  poor flowering peas are getting blown off their trellises.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/4/2015, 5:02 pm

We were cloudy, damp and cold most of the day. AND there's a dusting of pollen on the deck you can actually leave footprints in. (Maybe it's the new deck stain...) Makes it kind of hard to get out there. I'm still itchy.

I did a tiny amount today, getting cardboard out there to line the outside of my garden fence on one side. I plan to build that up with a bunch of brush and then other mulches to make a raised row to plant fruit trees next spring, surrounding the garden. It's an area downslope of a drain pipe and gets flooded every spring, so I'm trying to slow down that water stream, hopefully suck it up some with the raised mulch bed, so it doesn't flood my plantings below in the spring, and so that I can capture runoff in case we have issues with drought in the future. After last month it kind of woke me up that instead of letting all this water run off the property in the spring, I should try to capture it. This is one method, I'll have to think of others, because I'm entirely on a downslope here and when it's snow melt time, we have little rivers running down the yard.

I'll get photos of that, maybe this afternoon.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/4/2015, 6:39 pm

Okay, here are my latest pics. It's kind of long. I'll probably split these up.

My garden is under construction, so remember that. I'm in a project to build soil, as well as to raise the mulch level between rows, as well as build new rows. My method is to put cardboard down (mostly), throw a lot of brush on there (faux woodchips), then layer with all kinds of stuff, but that's as far as I am now. There are weeds that will be squelched by the time this is done, and there are leaves that need to mulch down into humus. The beds have a layer of mulch on top, so it's not really all that pretty, but they *will* break down, eventually.

The awkward tween stages:

Along the outside of the fence, the drain pipe is at the top, is my cardboard layer, to become a raised row for fruit tree planting:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Cardbo10
From the other direction:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Cardbo11
Overall:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 June2010
Pole Bean - There are 3 beds like this, this one is the first to sprout because I ran out of seeds, but the other 2 should be sprouting shortly:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Polebe10
Strawberries:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Strawb10
Kale/lettuce (and calendula):
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Kalele10
Garlic (with 2 tomato plants stuck in the middle of one because there ended up being a gap there):
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Garlic10
This is the work in progress, with cardboard and brush on top, which will have lots of layers, hopefully building the whole garden floor up 6":
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Brush610
And this is one of the buckwheat patches:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Buckwh10
This is interesting. I transplanted wild raspberries along the outside of the chicken run. Well, they rooted underneath and now there's a huge growth of them inside the run! The chickens will love that when they produce. The berries must love the chicken manure!
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Raspbe10
And the elderberry tree outside the chicken run, which also must be loving that manure, because that was just a cutting from someone 2 years ago:
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Elderb10

I have more but I better stop there! Phew.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/4/2015, 7:16 pm

Oh wow, NHG! You've got a lot going on! Is the buckwheat the flat leaves that look like the beginning of bush beans? Or the grassy stuff on the left ?  Also , is that garlic behind the strawberries? I love the tomatoes right in the middle of the garlic. Lol. I have lettuce amongst my garlic. I mean there's space there, right, so why not? Good luck building that ground up 6 inches. It's almost like you could put a compost pile there and eventually that's what would happen. Boy, your raspberries and elderberry sure love that manure! What a great bunch of boulders you have out there. Cute chickens, too! How many do you have? Are they named? Do you eat them?

Anybody know if my new raspberry babies will mind sharing the new bed this season with some volunteers - 3 tomatoes, 1 squash of unknown variety and a few Collard plants?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/4/2015, 8:01 pm

From what I've found online, the only enemies to raspberry would be potato and blackberry. Raspberry is like a weed! Mine keeps spreading everywhere. Altho I did have one patch that completely disappeared, so I think it can get a virus.

Buckwheat has heart-shaped leaves, but within another week they should be blossoming with white flowers, and they stay for about 6 weeks. They should get about 2' high. (Oh, duh, that's buckwheat in my avatar <-- from a couple summers ago)

Yup, the garlic is in 2 raised beds, 2 x 8. It's hard to see the raised beds in those photos! Some of them are double high, but the ones that aren't are slowly sinking into the ground. Laughing  The strawberries are in 4 raised beds, 4x4, but they don't respect boundaries... I noticed that the strawberry bed with the biggest, fullest plants is the bed I used as a compost pile a couple years back. So that says something for compost!

This entire town is pretty well composed of boulders and wet soils... Perfect for raised bed gardening.

I have 15 or 16 chickens right now, but Mr. Noisy is going to have to vacate the premises soon, and one kept flying out of the chicken yard I have fenced for them and I found a pile of feathers today, so I'm not sure if Mr. Fox finally found success or whether she escaped. I would eat them but I can't seem to stomach the whole processing thing. If someone else did it, I'd eat them. So they're just Pampered Pets.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2015, 11:59 pm

NHG, You have an impressive garden, there. The boulders are huge!! I'm in awe of the strawberry spread.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/5/2015, 12:50 am

Nice big space! What do you do with the buckwheat?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/5/2015, 7:05 am

The buckwheat is a weed suppressor, a green manure, and a source of nectar for pollinators of all kinds (which also help with garden pest control!), including honeybees. It grows in the cooler climates of the north, and likes 70s/day and cooler nights.
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Bees6-10
(Bees. Lawnmower is broken right now, things are a tad grown out of control)

Next summer we may put dried beans in much of the buckwheat area, so it will hopefully get the soil started for that.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/5/2015, 1:54 pm

I grew some last year, and it can seed every three weeks, supposedly. And be kind of hard to get out after that. Wonderfully lush growth that helped fix the soil from running off, but I have to be very careful or they'll just turn into weeds!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/5/2015, 2:13 pm

Interesting, Marc! We haven't had a problem with it become a weed, altho I heard it can. Maybe our harsh winters just kill it off, or maybe the weeds that come in the spring do.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/5/2015, 2:22 pm

Curious. I've read that winter will kill it off nicely, but it's the seeds they may have dropped into the ground that I worry about. I had a fresh crop this spring and I hadn't even noticed it because I assumed winter would have killed it off, and I had no reason to venture back to the compost pile where I planted them yet. But we had a mild winter and I guess last fall's seeds were sufficient for a thick spring crop.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/5/2015, 3:34 pm

Wow Marc, I wish mine did that. I tried replanting seed last year in the same place it was the year before, but it didn't grow, got choked out with weeds, etc. So this year we had to till the area again and then plant it, and it took. Would have saved us a lot of $$ in seed and trouble if it had just replanted itself. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/5/2015, 6:47 pm

Interesting. One reason I planted buckwheat in one area was because I read it grows so fast it will choke out weeds!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/5/2015, 7:02 pm

Yup, but if you don't prepare the soil before you throw the buckwheat seed, you're not likely to get much out of it, as I found out. My husband told me "that's not going to work" last summer when I thought I could just toss the seed onto the ground without it being prepared, and he was right. (I'm not into tilling.) I've read as much online lately too. While it's a great fast grower and smother crop, you still can't neglect working the soil first.

When you planted it, did you stir up the soil first, or just throw it around? Just curious, because I found just throwing it around did not let it get a good enough toehold before the weeds came.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/6/2015, 2:00 am

I threw it on top of the soil, but then I sprinkled more soil gently over the top so it was just lightly covered.

You know, now that I think about it, I remember having less spectacular results in another garden a bit earlier. The soil wasn't as good and so the result wasn't as great either. Kinda spotty coverage. That soil was well turned, but it was very tired from 20 years of over-cultivation, and sometimes seized up like clay.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/6/2015, 7:46 am

Breakfast -baby collards & slug nibbled strawberries: 6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Img_2012
The slugs were caught in the act and moved to the rock in the center of the bird bath. I don't care that it's 7:30 in the morning, it's definitely Miller time!

So so cold and windy still. Today is overcast and a bit drizzly. I  pulled out my snow pants this morning because I'm tired of the cold wind blowing on me. The tomatoes and ground cherries are showing signs of stress, and the cucumbers aren't budging. The squash seems to be moving along though and the greens are prolific. Haven't put the peppers in yet, looks like Tuesday is the next window for them.

Heading out shopping with the throngs  to  Home Depot for couple more trellis fixings and hopefully some Winterbor kale. Then I'll get the netting at Bennys because theirs is better than anyone elses.

Whatta crummy day... tongue
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/6/2015, 9:55 am

Marc - Yup, it seems crusty soil is an enemy to buckwheat, as well as "wet feet". I'm finding out which areas of my yard are soggy by the yellowish, stunted buckwheat seedlings. For an easy grower, it sure is picky.

CC - Yeah, it's overcast here right now too, and last night we must have had a light shower because I see pollen polka dots on the deck. At least you're getting damp weather!

Went to the library plant sale this morning! Oh, the treasures... Garlic chives, chives, sorrel, sedum, tansy, lemon thyme, thyme, garden sage, rhubarb... Now to look up what they need, and figure out where to plant them.... Goodbye Saturday...

Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/6/2015, 7:50 pm

I got most of my peppers transplanted outdoors which makes me happy.
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 06-06-10
Above:  This is my covered raised bed with the mini-tomatoes.  Now there's the sweet peppers in the bed, too.  Today in went 2 Jimmy Nardello, I Mini-Red Bell, 1 Lunchbox, 1 Lipstick and 1 Mohawk Yellow Bell. 
Into containers I planted some extras in the flower bed and I also transplanted a nice Genovese Basil into a pot.
Sowed cukes today, too; Boston Pickling and Summer Dance in the Back 40 at the trellis and in a pot, Spacemaster and Bush Crop to put in the flower bed where I have easy access to them daily.

I resurrected an old blog of mine from 2010.  I had 2 since then but can't get into either of them since I got the new computer so resurrecting my old quiltladysgardens blog was a happy circumstance.  Now I can update my doings in the garden, my quilting, and even recipes.
If anyone's interested check it out on:

http://quiltladysgardens.blogspot.com/

I posted my recipe for Potato Pancakes and photos of my gardens.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/6/2015, 8:50 pm

Wow, QB! I'm so impressed with your blog! Great job!

I tried to comment on it but I don't have an account with any of those options listed.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/7/2015, 12:31 pm

I'm getting ready to put potatoes on the perennial list...

My garden transplants of peppers, tomatoes, celery and basil are finally turning green (adjusting to their new environment), but darned if last year's potatoes aren't also sprouting in that bed! I tried to remove all potato segments last summer.

So I wonder. And I think we've talked about this before. Just throw your old, deformed, unwanted potato parts into a bed, cover them, mulch them, and then voila, will they sprout in the spring? Just maybe. Easier than ordering seed potatoes every year.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/7/2015, 1:03 pm

In my climate, potatoes are hard to get rid of once planted. It's easy to miss potatoes the size of a marble when harvesting, and they will start growing the following spring. Harvest orphans are survivors.

I've gotten to the point where I plant potatoes any time of year, particularly when I have stored potatoes that start sprouting and getting soft. Sometimes the foliage in early spring gets freeze damaged, but the potatoes keep coming back.

It sounds like your potatoes can survive your deep freezes. If you plant some in the fall, they just may be some of the first green you see in the spring. It's worth a try.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 6/7/2015, 1:36 pm

Yup, I think that would work. And we get pretty cold and snow covered here in the winter. Maybe potatoes will be classified as an invasive. Laughing
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sdugas164 6/8/2015, 12:02 pm

[url=6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 02325BFF-5C24-4C55-9749-D1CBCEC770D1]

First berry!

Nothing much happening. A squash seedling disappeared... Someone ate it. Gonna go make some essential oil spray to get bugs away. Eta... I lied, it's about to pour so no spray.
sdugas164
sdugas164

Back to top Go down

Post  DeborahC 6/8/2015, 8:25 pm

The Garden June 2015
6 - New England, June 2015 - Page 2 Garden10

DeborahC
DeborahC

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/8/2015, 8:33 pm

Ooooh, nice Deborah.  You're doing good this year.  Love all the greenery.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next