Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 Toplef10worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 I22gcj10worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 Toplef10worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 I22gcj10worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm Tube for the SFG

+116
OhioGardener
AtlantaTerry
YorkR88
Becky8813
vortex
NanSFG
momvet
ralitaco
rhfollett
CitizenKate
AtlantaMarie
FRED58
Cajun Cappy
has55
bbroomm
Esteban
Drpepperz
jimmy cee
grownsunshine
Frenchbean
Marc Iverson
Rosey
Inkspirations
GiGiTN
windsong969
sanderson
Yardslave
jazzycat
ETNRedClay
SherrieLou
audrey.jeanne.roberts
EggplantWizard
Turan
jplee3
petunia52
Kelejan
mollyhespra
hamguy
squaredeal
lzalvis
Triciasgarden
crs
Coelli
elysia
UnderTheBlackWalnut
GWN
llama momma
JustMe
kimberlee
kittykat
Roseinarosecity
FamilyGardening
ltree74
Boz
curio
AvaDGardner
bbzoe
Goosegirl
trukrebew
sfg4uKim
Windsor.Parker
plantoid
martha
newstart
yolos
MoneyMan94
RoOsTeR
Luci Dawson
ishootaction
janezee
hankyknot
camprn
mtgrl788
Joan N
tabletopper
H_TX
shannon1
JBS636
Nonna.PapaVino
Patch
Miss M
FarmerValerie
model a man
staf74
OahuSFG
walshevak
greenfingers
outsideasy
SouthJerseySquareFoot
sgeades
The Cat's Other Mother
WardinWake
carolintexas
dmpower
middlemamma
ChristyMC
fw2000
Megan
Dietryin
miinva
Chopper
kiwirose
junequilt
Odd Duck
PeggyC
Bec
sbeach
Lavender Debs
boffer
mckr3441
jenjehle
milaneyjane
timwardell
ColoradoNatureGirl
choksaw
Josh
120 posters

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 Empty Re: Worm Tube for the SFG

Post  petunia52 10/30/2012, 1:07 pm

Turan wrote:Has any one tried raising a few night crawlers? My compost is full of them and I was thinking of dropping a few into my potted plants for the winter.

Turan, sounds like you are doing a great job already, is your compost cold? I also have an abundance of nightcrawlers in my garden. Until I planted the garden this summer I had never seen one, now I can go out and get as many as I want. It must just be that providing them the right environment and you'll have more than you need. worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 3170584802
petunia52
petunia52

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/30/2012, 1:34 pm

Hey guys, do you think these perforated drain tubes would work out well?:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100211705/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=drainage+pipe&storeId=10051#.UJAPQG_A8bc

The description shows they're 3" but I saw some 4" tubes at a local HD recently.
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/30/2012, 4:51 pm

You just need holes in the bottom 6 inches where your soil is. Not sure that picture shows it would work. May have to cut your own holes.

Or - take a look at this stuff. I had a bunch of this left over, cut a few holes in it with scissors and it worked great. Diameter is wider and it's economical too. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100212428&R=100212428
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jplee3 10/30/2012, 5:26 pm

llama momma wrote:You just need holes in the bottom 6 inches where your soil is. Not sure that picture shows it would work. May have to cut your own holes.

Or - take a look at this stuff. I had a bunch of this left over, cut a few holes in it with scissors and it worked great. Diameter is wider and it's economical too. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100212428&R=100212428

Great idea! I was thinking about installing a few french drains in my yard eventually so was looking into getting some kind of piping. I guess corrugated is the way to go for all-around use Smile
jplee3
jplee3

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/30/2012, 5:51 pm

Glad to help worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/1/2012, 5:08 pm

Turan wrote:Has any one tried raising a few night crawlers? My compost is full of them and I was thinking of dropping a few into my potted plants for the winter.

I would do it! Here is an article mentioning this.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5556716_use-worms-indoor-plants.html

I read another that said just put some old plant material or bits of fruits or vegetables on top of the soil as food. I am seriously considering doing this myself. You would also want to make sure chemical fertilizer was not used in the soil. You would also want to keep the soil moist, not sopping wet.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/1/2012, 11:54 pm

"Tips & Warnings
Worms and plants will both benefit from additional fertilizing. This will feed the worms and help you maintain them.

Worms can reproduce quickly and may overwhelm your potted plants. Worms will die in freezing temperatures.

Read more: How to Use Worms in Indoor Plants | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5556716_use-worms-indoor-plants.html#ixzz2B2A1cSgQ"

The above were two replies to the article above and cut/pasted here. I doubt if worms will overwhelm the potted plants.
Any thoughts?
What's with this fertilizing business? Worms need feeding, not fertilizing.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 11/7/2012, 10:55 am

Help! I am concerned that my worms are no longer healthy and want to correct the problem before it is too late. They seem slower than when I got them and paler in color then when I got them. I don't see that they are eating the food either. Because I bought 1/4 lb of them I have been weighing the food to just under 1/4 lb. I have stopped adding new because they don't appear to have eaten any of the other. I'm not sure what to do other than start over and I need to find the problem so as not to repeat it. Am I just being a paranoid "mother" & worrying too much?
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/7/2012, 11:26 am

Since you've only had your 1/4 pound of worms a week or so, please understand when worms are moved to a new environment they need a couple weeks to several weeks to acclimate. You said the food is not beng finished which is a perfect clue they are not ready for more food. Any food not finished in a week can be removed. At this point keep the moisture light but not soggy. You really can keep things dryer than one might expect. My tubs do not have drainage and are lightly misted maybe once or twice every 2 weeks or so. If things smell really bad it could be from dead worms and or rotting food.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 11/7/2012, 12:31 pm

llama momma wrote:Since you've only had your 1/4 pound of worms a week or so, please understand when worms are moved to a new environment they need a couple weeks to several weeks to acclimate. You said the food is not beng finished which is a perfect clue they are not ready for more food. Any food not finished in a week can be removed. At this point keep the moisture light but not soggy. You really can keep things dryer than one might expect. My tubs do not have drainage and are lightly misted maybe once or twice every 2 weeks or so. If things smell really bad it could be from dead worms and or rotting food.

Wow, I have been misting the top almost every day, I will stop that!
Good news, there is no smell.
Thanks a million for putting my mind at ease.
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/9/2012, 4:30 pm

Petunia:

worm tube - Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 12 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  EggplantWizard 11/27/2012, 10:07 pm

Posting in here so I can keep track of this thread. How is this working out?
EggplantWizard
EggplantWizard

Male Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/30/2012, 11:16 pm

I had to announce I bought 30 (got 32) bait worms in the sporting goods section of a store. I got the container all set up with shredded newspaper, some food, dried leaves and my daughter put in some soil. I don't know if we needed the soil but she seemed to want to put that in. It probably can't hurt. Everything was moistened and I have the lid slightly ajar to allow for air circulation. I will try to keep updating and we should ask Petunia how her worms are doing.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/30/2012, 11:28 pm

Kelejan wrote:I doubt if worms will overwhelm the potted plants.
Any thoughts?
What's with this fertilizing business? Worms need feeding, not fertilizing.

I read about someone putting a garden worm into an indoor potted plant and they would sprinkle cornmeal on top. I also read that you can stick a little bit of kitchen waste in the soil for the worm. I think one worm in each pot would be enough.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 12/1/2012, 8:57 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:I had to announce I bought 30 (got 32) bait worms in the sporting goods section of a store. I got the container all set up with shredded newspaper, some food, dried leaves and my daughter put in some soil. I don't know if we needed the soil but she seemed to want to put that in. It probably can't hurt. Everything was moistened and I have the lid slightly ajar to allow for air circulation. I will try to keep updating and we should ask Petunia how her worms are doing.

They are doing great!!! I can actually tell there are more, at least it seems to me. Were your worms red worms and if so would you tell me, via PM if you wish, which store it was. I tried so many and only found nightcrawlers. And how much were they.
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 12/1/2012, 9:04 pm

@Josh,
I am almost finished with my cold frame and after I prove out the temps for the month of December I want to use it. I so want to put worms in it but am very concerned about the possibility of them overwhelming the space. Seems like quite a task to remove them when that happens. How did it work out with your worm tube and what did you do when the cold set in, or did it? (don't know where you live)
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/3/2012, 11:17 pm

petunia52 wrote:
They are doing great!!! I can actually tell there are more, at least it seems to me. Were your worms red worms and if so would you tell me, via PM if you wish, which store it was. I tried so many and only found nightcrawlers. And how much were they.

I got the worms at Walmart. They are red worms and my daughter said she thinks they cost around $2.50. So far mine are moving around some. I was going to feed a worm to each of my four chickens and when I went to pick up the third worm, he was like all muscle, very squirmy and freaked me out. I changed my mind!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 12/8/2012, 10:48 pm

Evidently I was wrong in my assessment of the worms. Today I went down to find 3 worms at the top of a wall of the bin. They couldn't get out with the lid on, still alive I put them back in. Something is wrong, why are they trying to get out of the box? Anyone have any ideas?
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/9/2012, 12:06 am

I did some reading on the "Wiggler Hilton" topic. I have only gotten to page 7 (there are many more) and it seems quite common for the worms to travel up or down. One person mentioned to check the moisture level of the bedding, that if it is too dry they may try to crawl out. I read through this site in the Spring or Summer but was so busy growing vegies, trying to find out what was eating my plants and trying to find a way to keep many ferrel cats from using my beds as their bathroom that I couldn't wrap my brain around this topic. Now is a much better time and by just reading the first 7 pages, I found I need to take the leaves out of my bin. I sure jumped the gun on getting set up. I am going to get the three bin system they mentioned set up in the very near future.

Oh also, someone mentioned that worms would tend to travel at night when the sun goes down. They do not like light so if you are concerned that they may be trying to escape, you could have some sort of light above.

Anyway, here is the link for you: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t997-wiggler-hilton?highlight=wiggler+hilton. I think you will like it. I didn't finish reading because I wanted to get you this info asap. I may finish my reading tomorrow because I am sure tired. Good luck!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 12/9/2012, 11:04 am

...Anyway, here is the link for you: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t997-wiggler-hilton?highlight=wiggler+hilton. I think you will like it. I didn't finish reading because I wanted to get you this info asap. I may finish my reading tomorrow because I am sure tired. Good luck![/quote]

Tricia, you are such a jewel!!! This is so much like mine, I cannot believe it. I built mine trying to duplicate the one the "worm lady" had which she purchased and it was quite expensive. My only level is almost identical to the first on the hotel. I already have 2 more identical bins (all 3 stolen from my camping set-up) that I will duplicate this today. I guess I will have to don some gloves (still squeamish) and re-do their home. My biggest concern is disturbing them as they seem to have just gotten comfortable enough to eat.
I know what you mean about summer taken up by gardening concerns, I am glad I started this in the fall, I would not have made it in the summer. I do have my set up in an unused room downstairs and the only light would come from the window above it, but surely can't be much at night. I will go through the whole site you sent and see what else I can learn. I too "jumped the gun" on mine.
By the way, I loved your story about feeding the chickens and freaking out when you got the muscley worm. Did the chickens ever get their treat?
Thanks so much for the info!!!
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 12/9/2012, 11:29 am

petunia52 wrote:@Josh,
I am almost finished with my cold frame and after I prove out the temps for the month of December I want to use it. I so want to put worms in it but am very concerned about the possibility of them overwhelming the space. Seems like quite a task to remove them when that happens. How did it work out with your worm tube and what did you do when the cold set in, or did it? (don't know where you live)

It does get pretty cold here where I live, once it gets cold I stop putting food in the worm tube. I don't know where the worms go, but come early spring even when it's still cold, I have found worms in my SFG. I then start adding food to the tube. I have never had any problems with the worms overtaking the garden, or dying out either.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  petunia52 12/9/2012, 11:41 am

...It does get pretty cold here where I live, once it gets cold I stop putting food in the worm tube. I don't know where the worms go, but come early spring even when it's still cold, I have found worms in my SFG. I then start adding food to the tube. I have never had any problems with the worms overtaking the garden, or dying out either.[/quote]

Appreciate the info Josh, that makes me feel much better. The reason I have taken so long in finishing my cold frame is due to following much of the research on making a cold frame useable the entire winter and not needing additional heat source. I was hoping that would keep the worms from freezing, as I read they will do. Sounds like you get pretty cold as well so I will no longer worry about that. Thanks a million!
petunia52
petunia52

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/10/2012, 1:38 am

I read the entire 20 pages of this post today, my husband asked me (when I got done) if I was now a qualified "wormologist!" Hmmm.... not quite yet, but I feel confident that I can do the worm tubes! From what you guys have described, I think I can make things work even though we get very hot weather during the summer. Everything I had read before just discouraged me from even trying.

Thank you Josh, for sharing your journey and what you've learned. I'll get things ready and order worms before spring.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/11/2012, 8:23 pm

petunia52 wrote:
By the way, I loved your story about feeding the chickens and freaking out when you got the muscley worm. Did the chickens ever get their treat?
Thanks so much for the info!!!

No, I put them all back and said forget it until next time. I was going to pull out four because I have four chickens. I had two in my hand and was dealing with them good enough. Then I got the short fat one and he was a fighter. I screamed and dumped them all back in and gave up, lol! My heart rate still speeds up a bit when I think of that one! I can't remember what I gave them but I got something that didn't move.

You're welcome! One thing about doing some research is I learn a lot. I needed to anyway.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/11/2012, 8:25 pm

I agree with you all! The questions, answers and discussions fill in all the details nicely!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next