Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 Toplef10How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 I22gcj10How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 Toplef10How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 I22gcj10How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How many square is too many squares?

+18
Unmutual
littlesapphire
janezee
sfg4uKim
tomperrin
Squat_Johnson
Chopper
Red-Leg
gwennifer
ModernDayBetty
camprn
walshevak
quiltbea
EatYourVeggies
martha
ashort
boffer
No_Such_Reality
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many square is too many squares?

Post  Unmutual 1/19/2012, 7:44 am

I think the only limiting factor to "how many squares is too many" is money. A simple suggestion would be to add a 4'x4' bed each season so you know when you're at your limit, although 3-4x4 beds per person is probably a good starting point(or Mel wouldn't have suggested it otherwise!).

If you start small and add small, I don't think you'll go wrong and end up with too much work. Just make sure you have some storage space for leftovers of vermiculite and peat moss(30gallon garbage cans with lids are great for this).
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

How many square is too many squares? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many square is too many squares?

Post  CindiLou 1/19/2012, 2:22 pm

Last year I started a "salad" bed. Just 2 2x4s on the south side of my house. After it started producing I was worried it was too much. I am the only one that eats salads very often at my house. Hubby will eat a chef salad sometimes lol..

As it was growing, I actually had people that were walking by asking if I had extra! Including my mail carrier! So any extra I had was spoken for before I picked it! Just a phone call to pick up!

I had also added two more 4x4s in the back so had three of them. Still had to build a 4x6 for my garlic!
I know...sounds like a lot of garlic lol but my children and friends all love garlic so this is something I can grow to share without it costing more than the startup!

This year hubby is helping to put in two more 4x6s. My oldest daughter now lives a block away and has a part time job. The extra veggies will be for her and the grandmonsters!

Although I will pick the strawberries when the 2yr old is NOT around! The little bird mouth followed me as I harvested last year lol...

So the total squares I have are 88 at present (I plant tomatoes, zucchini, and squash in 5 gal buckets of MM) with another 48 planned. So the total for the end of year will be 136 for me and my hubby with sharing and some canning.

Time wise, after the making of the beds and the main planting, is mainly planting/watering/weeding/harvesting, will be about a half hour to an hour a day on days I have to water. I water by hand from rainbarrels. This time will be less at times with grandchildren and children helping.

I am not going to call that my last total on squares! Never say Never lol....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 1/20/2012, 3:23 am

I say +1 to the auto watering idea here in sunny florida that is the most labor I do water,water,and more water. Last year we had a record drought, during the hottest part of the summer I watered twice a day, even with the MM . If you can install an automatic drip system you could have more squares with less work. My garden is tiny, hope to expand this spring. It is in the front yard so my neighbors kid me that all I do is sit there and watch the veggies grow. That is just because I get the chores done early before the sun gets too hot then kick back and enjoy.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 1/20/2012, 10:32 am

If my husband has his way we will end up with about 960 squares. Shocked

I keep trying to tell him let's wait on that but he's so insistant, lol

We too have big plans for our land. It's only 3 acres and it's rocky and uneven as all get out but .. it's what we have and we're gonna work with it! Smile
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  killjug 1/20/2012, 1:32 pm

I am expanding from 80 to 240. I had 1 long bed last year 20' long. I am rebuilding to nothing longer than 4x8. 20' was to long.
killjug

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2