Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how hot to compost? Toplef10how hot to compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how hot to compost? I22gcj10how hot to compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how hot to compost? Toplef10how hot to compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how hot to compost? I22gcj10how hot to compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

how hot to compost?

+2
ayanefan
kimbies
6 posters

Go down

how hot to compost? Empty how hot to compost?

Post  kimbies 3/31/2010, 10:09 pm

Just starting making our own compost, and wondering how hot it has to get how hot to compost? Icon_question to kill off any seeds. I don't want volunteer strawbabies & tommytoes ( or weeds ) coming up in the beds. Do you actually take the temperature, and how? or just hope for the best?
kimbies
kimbies

Female Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

how hot to compost? Empty Re: how hot to compost?

Post  ayanefan 3/31/2010, 10:28 pm

The pros bake the compost in an oven before they use it. My wife worked for the school board on the garden crew, the crew boss had 2 green thumbs and cured the compost before using it, killing any seeds and drying the stuff in the process. You can do that too in your own oven if you want.
If you are using a hot composting method, the seeds are usually destroyed when the pile hits above 120 degrees, turn the pile and add moisture if it goes above 150 degrees. How can you tell how hot it is? I really don't know. I'd throw in a thermometer in the middle of the pile and then take it out after 20 minutes and see what the temperature is (if the thermometer goes that high).

If you are using cold composting, you are basically throwing in browns and greens then topping it off with kitchen scraps and leaving it untouched for 2 or 3 years. I don't know about the seeds with this method, I'd probably put a batch in a turkey roaster, pop it in the oven at 150 for 30 minutes or so and be careful it doesn't catch fire or explode.
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/4/2010, 12:04 am

Good Question. I was just wondering the same thing, hence my post on "Garden is in!" I just decided to start hot composting since I had three empty aluminum garbage cans. I filled two with layers of my take from my friend's farm. I have been turning it every couple of days, since it has been cold. Will increase to once a day when it starts to get some sun. Just wondering if this will work and what others have been doing to hot compost, other than the expensive barrels.
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 4/4/2010, 10:18 pm

related question - if one has homemade compost and wants to kill any weeds in it - would laying it on a tarp in the hot sun for a few hours have the same effect as putting in the oven? i dislike the idea of putting dirt in my oven - and esp. scared of the possibility my dirt could explode (per ayanefan's post).
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2010, 10:28 pm

I started a new hot compost pile last week. I'm thinking it' getting close to 110F . It's hot in the middle of the pile, I can leave my hand in there for a bit before it gets too warm. To kill weed seeds takes between 120F - 150F. these temps can be achieved with layering your various compost ingredients. Make sure you have a good source of nitrogen to get the heat cranking. I made approx 4 cu. ft pile with lawn debris, winters kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, chopped leaves, 15 pounds of fresh poultry litter, dried blood. turning every few days, I should have some usable compost in another week or 2. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

how hot to compost? Empty how hot to compost?

Post  eerwah 4/4/2010, 10:53 pm

G'day kimbies,

I'd be a bit worried about baking compost the finished product as it would probably kill all the good microbs that it has in it.
I use 3 x compost bins all at various stages. If you get the right combination of materials your compost pile will get very hot and kill most seeds however some tomatoes seeds will still survive but you just let them grow a bit then pull them out and re-compost them.

Cheers, Peter.
eerwah
eerwah

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  ayanefan 4/4/2010, 11:51 pm

The compost bin I have is a 4 foot diameter circle, 4 feet high; according to a TV show I watched last year, this is the critical mass for composting as it has enough weight when it's full to start cooking. I added brown mulched leaves at the bottom, green grass clippings at the top and drizzled it with lots of raw vegetation from the kitchen. It took 4 days before you could really feel the heat. My problem is that I did not add enough moisture in the mix to keep the cooking going, this is what I'm doing now; turning every day and adding water to the dry areas. It's coming along but there are a lot of flies buzzing around.

The other method I heard of from Betty Kennett, CBC Saint John green thumb, is to take the same 3x3 or 4x4 bin, fill it with as much vegetation you can and then at the end of the year, just leave it, don't touch it at all. Next year start a new bin and then do the same the year after that. On the 4th year, the first bin will have nothing but great compost you can use in your garden. Empty that one and then start filling up the first bin and enjoy some wonderful rotted muck!

I'm not sure if the latter method works well in warm climates but you may just ask the operator of a plant and garden nursery what they would recommend in your area.

I asked my wife why Mark (her boss on the garden crew) cooked the soil. She said it's because he had no backup at the time in case something went wrong with the soil. He started cooking the compost because of blight in the area that turned all his flowers he planted at the schools into white, powdery mildew. After he cooked his soil, he never had a problem and it seemed to make the plants perkier. As for the microbes, as soon as you add water and the soil starts to breathe the microbes will start repopulating in no time.
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down