Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Toplef102012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  I22gcj102012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Toplef102012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  I22gcj102012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG

+4
walshevak
gwennifer
boffer
Furbalsmom
8 posters

Go down

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Empty 2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG

Post  Furbalsmom 1/1/2012, 3:22 pm

NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS FOR MY PNW SFG

1. I must remember that just because the last frost date in my little coastal micro-climate is March 1 does not mean that I can plant warm weather crops one or two weeks after the last frost date. May or June is when the soil starts to warm up.

2. Adjust the indoor seed starting date for warm season plants. Don’t start seeds so early that they are blooming and setting fruit indoors before the soil warms.

3. Try varieties of Ultra Early and Extra Early tomatoes which are a better bet for my location because the lack of heat will not support late maturing tomatoes.

4. Cool weather crops grow pretty well here, so take advantage of my climate.

5. Instead of dreaming about covered hoops for my table tops, get them covered with contractors 6 mil plastic so I can actually have warm soil a bit earlier.

Anyone else ready to share their SFG New Year's Resolutions?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Empty Re: 2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG

Post  boffer 1/1/2012, 4:03 pm

Resolutions: lose weight, blah, blah blah...

As for gardening, last year I started planting in my H3s at the end of January. Stuff did OK temperature wise, but I wondered about the available light slowing things down. That's why I had decided to plant later this year. But this year my winter has been so 'light' that I couldn't resist; today I planted lettuces and radishes.

I haven't thought of using 'light' to describe my winters before. Usually, we get dark heavy clouds hanging around tree top level (it feels like) and drizzling for months. It feels darkish at 10am and 3pm. This year, we've had some real rain, and some real wind, but a lot fewer dark days. So winter feels lighter. We'll see what happens.

When is the best time to start spring planting of cool crops in the PNW? You'll know for sure about 30 days after the best time has come and gone! My weather varies enough from year to year, that that's the way it is. So I make smaller, staggered plantings to either take advantage of early nice weather, or cut my loses if we have unusually bad weather.

I have made little progress on my greenhouse for tomatoes and peppers, but I guess I can procrastinate a little while longer since I won't need it until May. LOL

A reminder to self: I can squeeze in all the lettuce, radishes, and scallions that we can eat, around the broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage I'll be planting. No need to dedicate squares to those items.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Empty Re: 2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG

Post  gwennifer 1/2/2012, 1:38 am

Ooh, great thread Furbalsmom! Let's see, SFG resolutions:

1. I had planned on a second 2'x6' bed under my kitchen window to complement the 4'x6' bed I built last spring. I have been thrown off by the vent in the foundation (didn't have THAT on the drawing board) that I can't block and I MUST come up with a decision on a solution! If I really want a few more squares, I'll have to figure out how to build a table top type bed to avoid blocking the vent. But then it won't match, which will bug me, so I keep thinking it may be best to just put in a row of berry bushes there. But I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep any type of berry within the two feet of alloted depth! It's a quandary, and I've got to figure it out soon!

2. Love broccoli but hate cabbage moths! Also hate spraying weekly for cabbage moths (my, but I'm lazy). Must. Buy. Tulle!

3. Potatoes! I resolve to grow some in tubs!

4. Tomatoes. Ugh. I will try them again this year. This year I want to try a tomato I can put up as tomato sauce or tomato soup - something my family uses. (So... I'll also have to learn how to can if I'm successful at the growing!)

5. Compost! Makin' my own this year folks. Wink
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/2/2012, 2:46 am

I am pretty confident that my resolutions are doeable.

Boffer, thanks for the reminder of interplanting some of those smaller veggies in among the bigger veggies.

Gwennifer, sorry I have no suggestions for your under window garden. Too bad you feel the TT would not match the beds because TT are so great to get your crops up where you are eye to eye with them. Very easy to keep up with bug awareness. Hope we have a good tomato summer, canning is pretty easy.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/2/2012, 9:33 am

3 beds at various height like stair steps down to the ground level bed. Or what ever layout looks nice and deliberate not accidental.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 1/2/2012, 3:11 pm

Maybe I'll post a picture and see if all you wonderful folks can figure it out. Major part of what has me stumped is that I built my existing bed out of vinyl fence parts - posts and railings - and I had purchased enough of these parts to build the second, narrower bed the exact same way. I can't figure out how to use those parts in a table top! And I've kind of got too much money into it to want to change directions now.

But see, it's kind of a personality flaw I have - struggling with perfectionism. My "perfect" plan isn't going to work, and so I've been stuck. That's why it's at the top of my list of resolutions. I've got to push through and figure out another solution!

Kay, I agree that stair-stepping beds are lovely. From North to South I have two feet against the foundation, a three foot aisle, my four foot bed, another three foot aisle, and two feet against the fence. 14 feet total. Can't fill in those aisle spaces, or wouldn't be able to get through the yard from East to West. Can't use the two feet against the fence for fruit or veggies, because they are in the shade from the neighbors Cypress hedge. You're exactly right - I want it to look planned and deliberate, not like and afterthought or something I made do with. Smile
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/2/2012, 5:19 pm

I will make all new mistakes this year, and not repeat any of last year's.

(anyone wanna start a betting pool?)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Empty i vow to...

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/9/2012, 12:33 am

Protect tomatoes, cukes, zucchini and peppers from squirrels
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

2012 New Year's Resolutions for my PNW SFG  Empty Resolution

Post  GardenrZK 1/15/2012, 12:43 am

Find a way to cut a huge hole in the clouds over my garden that is long east to west and follows the suns path from south to north and back.
GardenrZK
GardenrZK

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/15/2012, 3:11 am

Hey, hi, Des Moines GardenrZK!
Welcome to the pack!

Could you mow those clouds just a little further north? I'll trade ripe tomatoes for that!

Janezee
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down