Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer Toplef10Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer I22gcj10Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer Toplef10Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer I22gcj10Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer

+5
sfg4uKim
genright
B maier
llama momma
WVGurl
9 posters

Go down

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer Empty Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer

Post  WVGurl 12/31/2011, 7:42 pm

Hey everyone! I just found this site while trying to find more information about gardening using raised beds. I live in the suburbs, but we still have deer. I'm trying to plan now for the Spring, and in doing so, am trying to figure out how to keep the deer out of my garden.

Any ideas or tips? Also, looks like I'll be getting this book soon.

Thanks!
WVGurl
WVGurl

Back to top Go down

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer Empty Re: Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer

Post  llama momma 12/31/2011, 8:34 pm

glad you\'re here
to the forum! You will find lots of wonderful help. Definately get the book, All New Square Foot Gardening, the 2006 edition. Easy reading and the author Mel Bartholomew writes in a very friendly manner. The book tells you everything to get off to a great start. This forum compliments the book and allows you to get personal answers. Enjoy and hope to hear about your new garden!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer Empty Re: Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer

Post  B maier 12/31/2011, 9:23 pm

This will sound gross... but coyote urine will keep them away. You can even buy it online.
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  genright 12/31/2011, 11:04 pm

50\50 mix of blood meal and last season's cayenne pepper powder keeps them out.
genright
genright

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/1/2012, 12:10 am

Garden Commander

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Newbie from West Virginia - Question about Deer WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/1/2012, 1:03 am

I keep the deer out of my garden and away from my dwarf fruit trees by hanging deodorant soaps in net bags and tying them around the trees and/or garden area. It works for me.

After having some of my dwarf trees nearly ruined by deer, I tried the hanging soaps and they never came near them again. I change the soaps every 6 months.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/1/2012, 4:08 am

quiltbea wrote:I keep the deer out of my garden and away from my dwarf fruit trees by hanging deodorant soaps in net bags and tying them around the trees and/or garden area. It works for me.

After having some of my dwarf trees nearly ruined by deer, I tried the hanging soaps and they never came near them again. I change the soaps every 6 months.

That is very interesting. I had heard of that but always wondered if it worked. If it keeps out Maine deer, it should work anywhere.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/1/2012, 11:21 am

Welcome aboard! Great idea reading the book. I think you'll get a ton out of it.

I don't know much about keeping deer away....out of deer season. But, I do know a lot of people can provide more ways than you care to learn here on the forum.

I hope you come around more while reading the book. And, I hope you give a small SFG a shot in your other gardening. I think you'll see a nice difference.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/1/2012, 11:30 am

Chopper wrote:
quiltbea wrote:I keep the deer out of my garden and away from my dwarf fruit trees by hanging deodorant soaps in net bags and tying them around the trees and/or garden area. It works for me.

That is very interesting. I had heard of that but always wondered if it worked. If it keeps out Maine deer, it should work anywhere.
It doesn't work on my deer. I've watched them push the net bags aside with their heads in order to get a better bite of a chestnut. And that was with fresh soap.

And what's in Irish Spring anyhow. I had slivered a bar to use, and in three years of hanging on the tree it didn't melt away.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/1/2012, 11:31 am

And what's in Irish Spring anyhow?

Topsoil.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/1/2012, 11:36 am

I would have guessed a light scotch!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/1/2012, 1:56 pm

boffer.....I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't explain it then. I don't do anything different and my fences around the trees are less than 3' tall. We've always had the dogs so can't be that either. Anyway, I'm not going to tell my local deer about you. What they don't know.....

Sounds like you'll have to go with 10' tall deer fencing, the black nylon stuff that you can't really see until you're on top of it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down