Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Poop Day video!! Toplef10Worm Poop Day video!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Poop Day video!! I22gcj10Worm Poop Day video!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Poop Day video!! Toplef10Worm Poop Day video!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Poop Day video!! I22gcj10Worm Poop Day video!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by arussman Today at 6:08 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm Poop Day video!!

+4
gwennifer
martha
RoOsTeR
staf74
8 posters

Go down

Worm Poop Day video!! Empty Worm Poop Day video!!

Post  staf74 12/20/2011, 6:37 pm

Enjoy this short video of us getting our hands real dirty and let me know if you have any questions. I'm no vermi-culture expert but we have lots of castings all the same and the worms seem to like their home. However, I did let the bottom get a little too soggy. I left the bin out in the rain one day by mistake. I'm sure I can dry them a little. There were a ton of egg cocoons also which I added to the new bin.

There's been a few worm threads recently and was going to tag onto one but I guess its okay to post it alone. Basically this is just a simple worm bin design with plastic totes. The worms have produced a lot of great castings and the second bin is now well underway.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Worm Poop Day video!! Empty Re: Worm Poop Day video!!

Post  RoOsTeR 12/20/2011, 7:02 pm

rock on Another great video from you staf! Looks like you have a great helper there too, just dying to play in the poo. Nicely done.

Worm Poop Day video!! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 12/20/2011, 8:31 pm

Worm Poop Day video!! 593714

Is it Spring yet?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/20/2011, 10:27 pm

Hey - that's great! I obviously missed something when reading through all the worm bin threads... How is it that all the castings got into the bottom bin? And would you be willing to share a picture of the egg cocoons?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/21/2011, 9:30 am

Hi Gwen,

You start off the project in just the one tote with all your scraps, bedding etc ready to go and add the worms. As the worms break this down into mostly castings you then add the second bin on top with fresh bedding / food. The bins have about ten 3/8 inch holes drilled in the bottom to allow the worms to migrate between the two bins. When all the food in the bottom bin has been turned into castings, the worms naturally migrate up to the second bin in search of new food. At that point you take off the top bin and harvest the castings below and add back the few remaining worms you might come across. Voila!!! you're back to the one bin set-up again. The cycle repeats.

Hope this helps Very Happy

Almost forgot..worm cocoons /eggs. This link shows a pic and describes them

http://wormcompostingblog.com/raising-worms/what-a-worm-egg-looks-like-%E2%80%93-worm-cocoon/

The eggs prefer slightly warmer temps to hatch than what the bin requires and you can take them inside in a plastic bowl or something in a handful mud and sit them at room temp (70 ideal) for a couple of weeks and most will hatch. Then you can add the baby worms back into the bin.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/21/2011, 10:18 am

Nice one Staf,
Especially the self operated worm elevator to bring the worms up into the new container. Smile

I noticed the carrot pulp ... Now that's interesting .
Back in the days when we had a rabbit farm and loads of muck we researched the idea of a dozen 10 mtr long 3 mtr wide outside worm beds to add value to the enterprise.

I joined several major worm producers groups in the UK & as a result .... according to most of the growers ,found out that a three or four inch layer of pulped carrots on top of the base bed of rabbit muck was supposed to be one of the best worm growth products you could get.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/21/2011, 10:46 am

Great job. lots of great stuff in the bottom tub.
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/21/2011, 11:10 am

Very good video. Don't you just love that compost!

Note to newbies: Some companies suggest a heater to hatch your coccoons. Its not necessary. The eggs will hatch very well without any. Mother Nature takes care of her own very sufficiently. Dig into any worm bin and you'll find scores of young half-inch-long babies among the parents that made it without extra heat.

Worm Poop Day video!! 04_the10
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/21/2011, 12:14 pm

of a dozen 10 mtr long 3 mtr wide outside worm beds

Holy worm poop Plantoid! That would have been a serious amount of the good stuff.

That's a really neat tip also Plantoid on the carrot pulp. I add my almost daily juicing pulp to the bins and its gone really fast so yes, they must really like it Very Happy

I do have a rabbit farm close by where I scored some free muck for the compost pile. I might go larger on the worm bin now myself to satisfy an ingredient for the SFG and have a larger worm farm going . You've really got the wheels turning and yet another thing on my long list of things to build..... my bucket list must differ sooo much from the average persons.....

They - a week in a Fijian paradise for themselves.
I - a week building paradise for worms.

QB - I agree (on babying cocoons w/heat mats etc). I had the bin outside until very recently and even at colder temps than recommended I still saw many tiny worms when I harvested in that video so they are more resilient than perhaps given credit for.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Worm Poop Day video!! Empty worms in my head

Post  plantoid 12/21/2011, 1:24 pm

Does any one reading these worm posts & threads ( notice I didn't say thread worms Wink ) , know the smallest diameter twist drill you can use to make a series of holes to drain off juices into a lower bin /box that still tends to keep the worms up in the upper levels of stack inside each other wormery containers that we may be likely to use .

I've got several 18 inch by 18 inch by 15 inch high stacking boxes that go inside each other.
It's around 50 o F warm in my glasshouse , at present and hasn't dropped much below it so far during this end of year weather despite three decent frosts of down to 26 o f or so outside air temps.
( I got the builders to mix two cartons of black concrete dye powder into the glasshouse's concreted base , so to have a six inch thick black concrete heat sink .

I'd like to try working a worm stack out in the green house whilst it's cool and nothing much is going on in the green house for a couple of months.

I'd be using the bottom bin as a juice/tea collector , knowing the smallest hole size is needed to stop escapees working their way down into the teapot area. Failing that perhaps I can use the mesh off a small damaged plastic food sieve that I have out in the garage & use external grage silicone sealing adhesive to stick a bit of it over a 3/4 inch hole in the first true worm bin.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/21/2011, 2:56 pm

Think panty hose for seiving worms.

I use a piece to cover the hole where the spigot drains the worm tea into a container outside the condo. Keeps the worms from falling thru onto the bathroom floor.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/21/2011, 3:37 pm

Wink Now theres a thought to boggle the mind .

I suppose my lycra fishnets are too big a denier mesh ??
I'll just have to ask Alison if I can have some her old ones instead.

When you've stopped laughing ...... Thanks for the tip/idea .. that would work very well .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/22/2011, 3:44 pm

Just wanted to say Worm Poop Day video!! 109486 for your attention to my question. Worm cocoons don't look at all like I thought they would based on the word cocoon. They remind me of those little moisture balls in bagged potting soil.

I'm very tempted to try worm composting. But I keep thinking it would so easy to neglect and I'd feel terrible if I starved all my wormies. Plus, ugh, fruit flies. I really hate those things, and have such a problem with them every year, even without saving my food scraps. Are you keeping your bin indoors?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/22/2011, 7:20 pm

Gwennifer ,
Think Quiltbea !

She suggested to me using panti hose to filter the worms out .. why not use a pair with the legd knotted and cut off to make a pullover cover for the wormery if they stretch that much to keep any flies away . Just don't place the wormery too close to an open window or your door.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/11/2012, 11:35 pm

staf74 wrote:Hi Gwen,

You start off the project in just the one tote with all your scraps, bedding etc ready to go and add the worms. As the worms break this down into mostly castings you then add the second bin on top with fresh bedding / food. The bins have about ten 3/8 inch holes drilled in the bottom to allow the worms to migrate between the two bins. When all the food in the bottom bin has been turned into castings, the worms naturally migrate up to the second bin in search of new food. At that point you take off the top bin and harvest the castings below and add back the few remaining worms you might come across. Voila!!! you're back to the one bin set-up again. The cycle repeats.

Hope this helps Very Happy

Almost forgot..worm cocoons /eggs. This link shows a pic and describes them

http://wormcompostingblog.com/raising-worms/what-a-worm-egg-looks-like-%E2%80%93-worm-cocoon/

The eggs prefer slightly warmer temps to hatch than what the bin requires and you can take them inside in a plastic bowl or something in a handful mud and sit them at room temp (70 ideal) for a couple of weeks and most will hatch. Then you can add the baby worms back into the bin.

im bumping this thread to say thank you for posting this video! and the link of worm coons/eggs

ive been doing some searching here about worms and found this thread Very Happy im so glad someone asked about what the worm eggs/coons looked like.....these little yellow balls are what we have been wondering what they were the last couple of years when we would come across some in the garden soil....never new they were worm eggs Shocked

im thinking about maybe building a tote worm bin like you have in the video....i have a couple of questions

1. does both the top and the bottom bin have holes in them?....i dont under stand how you switch them....

2. how often do you change out the soil/with the food in it?..to switch them around

3. how many worms should i start with in a tote like yours?

4. i have only a couple so far that the kids picked out from the garden....we are building some towers for the garden....but the weather is awful so we havent finished them....so for now the worms are living indoors with us....i put some compost, news paper, card board and a few scraps of food (blue berries and old bread) well....yesterday the food stuff had mold on it and it smelled very strong amonia (sp?)...i changed out the food scraps and put in new paper and card board and the smell seems to be gone for now....any thoughts?

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down