Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Planning for Spring Planting Toplef10Winter Planning for Spring Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Planning for Spring Planting I22gcj10Winter Planning for Spring Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Planning for Spring Planting Toplef10Winter Planning for Spring Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Planning for Spring Planting I22gcj10Winter Planning for Spring Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter Planning for Spring Planting

4 posters

Go down

Winter Planning for Spring Planting Empty Winter Planning for Spring Planting

Post  martha 12/13/2011, 11:59 am

So, for most of us, this is the quiet season in our gardens, but in just a few weeks, it will be time to start some seeds indoors, for those who plant from seed. For some of us, it's time to plan new boxes, or try to figure out companion and succession planting - I know, it should be easy! (My problem with companion planting is conflicting information from various sources, combined with questions such as - if two plants should avoid each other, is it air space? Dirt space? Is it okay in an adjoining SF box, if they aren't sharing soil?)

I know I would love to hear from all of you on a number of subjects, so I can steal, um, I mean, implement your good ideas this coming year, instead of having to wait until next!

My next project is to research what needs to be pruned and/or transplanted when - the main thing in my SFG this will impact is my strawberries (that I allowed to get ridiculously overrun with runners this past year.) But I have other things, too, which of course should go to Non -SFG, such as when to prune the raspberries and when to move back the lilac that never should have been moved in the first place, and it almost died because the person who moved it did so at the wrong time of year, so it had to stay there all this past year to recover its strength!

What are you folks working on?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Winter Planning for Spring Planting Empty Re: Winter Planning for Spring Planting

Post  quiltbea 12/13/2011, 3:48 pm

Martha, potatoes are easy with a little thought. In very early spring as soon as the soil could be worked and it wasn't wet, I dug trenches about a foot deep, laid in a tater, covered it with a couple inches of soil. When it grew up about 6" I buried more of the plant til only the tops showed, by filling in the trench. Did that again when it grew another foot so I covered another 8" of plant, then left it alone. I thought that was deep enough for the taters to thrive underneath and with a mound of soil around the base of the plants.

Winter Planning for Spring Planting 06-03-10

As you can see, my patch was a raised bed without lumber. They are called berms when they aren't contained but they work just as well.

I made sure I added peat moss to the patch early in the season before planting because taters like a lower PH. I planted whole small seed potatoes instead of cutting them in halves or thirds because I didn't want to deal with possible rot on the cut sides. Other than that, regular watering, and then digging my bare hands beneath the plant to pull out new taters and then the full harvest. It sure felt good around my hands.

Winter Planning for Spring Planting 08-07-11

Winter Planning for Spring Planting 09-22-10

Kennebecs and Golden Russets harvested Sept. You'll love the flavor so much more than store-bought.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Winter Planning for Spring Planting Empty Re: Winter Planning for Spring Planting

Post  Lavender Debs 12/13/2011, 4:24 pm

Sorry it took so long Martha, I had bad gateway issues earlier.

Have you ever heard of "Winter Sowing"? The link is to my winter sowing blog from last year with a link to the person who taught me the how-to's. The facebook winter sowing group is kicking off the season with a sowing party on the solstice. I did great last year EXCEPT that everything sprouted at different times. This year everything gets its own container. I plan to start a container (each) of parsley, echinacea (purple cone flower), chamomile, and perhaps snap-dragons.

This solstice I am also going to put more shallots into one of the boxes. There is some old-timey thing about planting on the shortest day and harvesting on the longest. I like those sort of rules. I am just a little bit worried that I live too far north for that sort of time.

Fennel and green beans are not friends (fennel wins). Peppers and cucumbers are not friends (and peppers win) This is the only experience I have had with enemy plants.

My only other plan is...

• to make a plan,
  • Build a rabbit hutch
  • gather the stuff for aquaponics and read, read, read,
  • For New Years week, start small containers of lettuce, mustard and spinach to plant out in March.
  • Get my seed order ready.

Debs.....who just got a gift of goat poop and needs to turn the compost she thought she was done with until spring. Happy, happy!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/13/2011, 5:14 pm

Here is a link for companion planting. Hope it's accurate!!
http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html#ALFALFA: What a Face
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down