Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? Toplef10Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? I22gcj10Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? Toplef10Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? I22gcj10Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions?

3 posters

Go down

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? Empty Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions?

Post  jkahn2eb 12/4/2011, 2:22 pm

10 Day Forecast
Sun 58/33, Mon 53/30, Tue 54/24, Wed 58/31, Thur 61/33, Fri-Tues 66/37

I have a about ten four-foot tomato plants with fruit that is big enough to pluck but nothing has turned color. Should I harvest and try to save the plants or should I accept that they are done for and even the warmup at the end of the week won't do much to generate additional fruit (isn't 70 degrees the fruiting temp?)

My basil is in the same boat - should I just cut it all down and store in the freezer or should I try for another week out of my three plants?

I'll be planting lots of lettuce and spinach in the tomato spots and sugar snap peas in a few other areas.

I have one, maybe two bedsheets. My mom said I could tape newspaper together but... is it worth it?
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? Empty Re: Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions?

Post  martha 12/4/2011, 3:10 pm

With those temperatures, I think you are done with the basil and tomatoes. Earlier this season, we had temperatures here that were probably one or two degrees above frost, and my basil didn't actually die. But the leaves that it continued to put out had very little flavor.

The tomatoes didn't do anything either. One is supposed to be able to pick green tomatoes and put them in paper bags to help them ripen. I haven't had luck with this, but I suspect that is because of insufficient monitoring on my part.

Seems to me it's worth a try, since otherwise, you will lose all the fruit that is on the vines.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions? Empty Re: Here Comes First Frost... Fast Suggestions?

Post  Guest 12/4/2011, 3:20 pm

Surviving and thriving is two different things. I've read that temps under forty stunt the growth for a couple weeks until the plant recovers. Fruit-wise, I don't think you'll accomplish anything by covering them. You might save the plants though, and they might come back in the spring.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/4/2011, 3:30 pm

I would either pot the basil & move it inside or cover it very well if left outside. We just had some frost - got down below 29 degrees - and my basil died. I hadn't covered it because I was so busy covering the tomatoes and eggplants and snap beans, etc.

I would, I think, at least pick some of the largest tomatoes for ripening indoors to at least minimize my possible losses - if you wanted to take a chance on covering and leaving any of them outside. I had 2 tomato plants growing - one with 3 small 'maters on it and one that is blooming like crazy. I had some brown leaves that I had to pick off my tomato and my eggplants, but they look good. I think they will make it, but I did cover them with sheets. Looks like you'll be getting even colder on at least one night, though.

I will probably get a good bit more warm weather, though, here. I don't know how your climate works. I'm hoping my 'maters might keep growing! Good luck and let us know what happens!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 12/4/2011, 3:40 pm

Good note about the basil Martha. I think I'll cut and freeze today.

Went out and picked green tomatoes that had their stems curled way back up (am I right to assume it means it's done growing?). Also plucked the last remaining hot peppers out there and the 3 eggplant which look fantastic then ripped out the plants. There be holes in me garden! Will use the hot peppers in our tacos tonight.

Really happy with the queen siam basil. Can't wait for spring... Will likely get seedlings going even earlier in late Dec rather than mid January to get 'em even bigger before transplanting.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down