Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are you a hottie? - Page 5 Toplef10Are you a hottie? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 I22gcj10Are you a hottie? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are you a hottie? - Page 5 Toplef10Are you a hottie? - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 I22gcj10Are you a hottie? - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are you a hottie?

+74
countrynaturals
Docwas
Scorpio Rising
donnainzone5
No_Such_Reality
audrey.jeanne.roberts
grownsunshine
68carguy
giant_trainer
Stoney65
kauairosina
greatgranny
AtlantaMarie
dstack
brainchasm
Marc Iverson
kaylee
sanderson
2SooCrew
Gunny
bnoles
ddemeo
minervalong
brenda g
Kate888
Neeco
meatburner
gardenertaylor
TexasTracy
bwaynef
landarch
Boz
songstriss
cpl100
littlesapphire
crs
Kelejan
yolos
memart1
Belle87ad
floyd1440
Triciasgarden
toledobend
chelsea258
ramarks
Pepper
FamilyGardening
Goosegirl
llama momma
CapeCoddess
Turan
Missed-Em
Cincinnati
GWN
1airdoc
wncsohn
TN_GARDENER
curio
walshevak
morganfam7
martha
tomperrin
Lindacol
Furbalsmom
plantoid
BackyardBirdGardner
Too Tall Tomatoes
boffer
RoOsTeR
camprn
southern gardener
newstart
arla
staf74
78 posters

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next

Go down

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 Empty Re: Are you a hottie?

Post  camprn 3/22/2012, 2:58 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I do have LARGE compost piles that I turn 2x a year that is our chicken, goat and horse pen wastes (some steer as well). Straw, hay, manure, shavings etc. I clear it out of the pens with my tractor and add it to our large piles. Like I said, I turn it 2x a year with our tractor.
you are SO lucky !!!! Critters, poo and a TRACTOR! I'm Jealous! Are you a hottie? - Page 5 88662

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/23/2012, 11:07 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:For your SFG compost, keep the pile size managable Very Happy I currently have three piles that I keep right around 3.5 to 4 foot. 4 foot being the max for the compost I use in my SFG that I turn by hand.

With how beat up I feel there's no way I could even turn a 1ft x 1ft x 1ft pile.

I guess there's one positive to having an abnormally large pile. The temperature is STILL at 120F.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  morganfam7 3/24/2012, 2:48 am

With how beat up I feel there's no way I could even turn a 1ft x 1ft x 1ft pile.

Just think of how in shape you'll be.... Cool

Yeah, that's why I tried to go with a tumbler...ha ha
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/26/2012, 11:22 pm

Since rebuilding my compost pile again yesterday, the temperature shot up to 151F.

From 70F(just after the rebuild) to 151 is incredible. What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  morganfam7 3/27/2012, 2:37 am

Whoa! Man! That's so awesome! Did you end up adding the alfalfa and blood meal too?

I've had a sick kiddo, and ended up getting it myself, but anyways when I can I want to go out and do a side by side comparison of the tumbler stuff and the pile. I really think something is happening in the tumbler. I got a hand shovel-full out of the tumbler to put in my water bucket...,makes sort of a very weak compost tea for watering. The tumbler stuff looks like it's cooking down to me, and much faster than the pile. My son drilled a bunch more holes in the barrel, so it's getting a littler more oxygen. The experiment continues...
morganfam7
morganfam7

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 8:29 am

morganfam7 wrote:Whoa! Man! That's so awesome! Did you end up adding the alfalfa and blood meal too?

I've had a sick kiddo, and ended up getting it myself, but anyways when I can I want to go out and do a side by side comparison of the tumbler stuff and the pile. I really think something is happening in the tumbler. I got a hand shovel-full out of the tumbler to put in my water bucket...,makes sort of a very weak compost tea for watering. The tumbler stuff looks like it's cooking down to me, and much faster than the pile. My son drilled a bunch more holes in the barrel, so it's getting a littler more oxygen. The experiment continues...

Yep.....alfalfa pellets and blood meal too. I have absolutely no idea why the temperature is so high. Hey, I'm not complaining at all but I just wonder why it's so high......never had it that high before nor have I ever heard of compost that high either.
I can't think of anything I did differently than the last time except maybe I used slightly more water on the last layer, but that was just because I used the watering can to wash down the house siding behind the pile. I just have no idea.

Whatever is ailing you, drink lots of orange juice. That always seems to help me whenever I'm sick. Hope ya feel better!
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/27/2012, 8:39 am

I wonder if blood meal that's gotten wet (think standing water in the pail it's in) would work in the compost bin like if it was dry? I'd use the water in the pail also. If you're wondering why it got water in it, apparently the lid wasn't fastened down when I was using it a couple of weeks ago, and blew off during one of our rain storms.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 9:03 am

curio wrote:I wonder if blood meal that's gotten wet (think standing water in the pail it's in) would work in the compost bin like if it was dry? I'd use the water in the pail also. If you're wondering why it got water in it, apparently the lid wasn't fastened down when I was using it a couple of weeks ago, and blew off during one of our rain storms.

When you add the blood meal to the compost bin, it will wind up getting wet. So if you have wet blood meal before you add it to the compost, add it anyway. It should work.

Here's a picture of the thermometer in my compost. Sorry for the blurriness....it was taken with my cell phone. It was taken this morning and you can see that it's at 159F. So it went up 8 degrees since about 1am this morning.

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 Temp10
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2012, 5:22 pm

My advice is to keep your dried blood as dry as possible, it smells foul when it gets wet!
affraid nice temp in the pile there TTT! You are a HOTTIE! Did you pull out all the stakes? you may want to just poke that pile a bit with a garden fork. As the O2 gets used up the temperature will come down. This will probably be as hot as this pile is going to get and that is good enough.You will not need any more pellets or dried blood. Do not add anything new to this pile.
Here is a good read about composting temperature and physics from Cornell U. What a Face

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 5:29 pm

camprn wrote:My advice is to keep your dried blood as dry as possible, it smells foul when it gets wet!
affraid nice temp in the pile there TTT! You are a HOTTIE! Did you pull out all the stakes? you may want to just poke that pile a bit with a garden fork. As the O2 gets used up the temperature will come down. This will probably be as hot as this pile is going to get and that is good enough.You will not need any more pellets or dried blood. Do not add anything new to this pile.
Here is a good read about composting temperature and physics from Cornell U. What a Face

Yep....I did take out the sticks today and it was really neat to see steam practically pouring out of the holes. I took a video of it and I was going to post it here but any video taken with my phone looks like crap. Anyway, all I'm going to do is wait till the temperature drops somewhat and poke it around with a stick or a garden fork.

The highest temperature today was 161. I put the thermometer in another part of the pile and it dropped down to about 156F but then since increased to 159F.

It's just amazing. What a Face
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2012, 5:38 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
camprn wrote:My advice is to keep your dried blood as dry as possible, it smells foul when it gets wet!

Yep....I did take out the sticks today and it was really neat to see steam practically pouring out of the holes. I took a video of it and I was going to post it here but any video taken with my phone looks like crap. Anyway, all I'm going to do is wait till the temperature drops somewhat and poke it around with a stick or a garden fork.

The highest temperature today was 161. I put the thermometer in another part of the pile and it dropped down to about 156F but then since increased to 159F.

I dig it! My friend think I've lost it when I get REALLY excited about a HOT compost pile! In a few weeks you should be able to use it right in the garden! WELL DONE! Are you a hottie? - Page 5 965819

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 6:14 pm

camprn wrote:
Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:

I dig it! My friend think I've lost it when I get REALLY excited about a HOT compost pile! In a few weeks you should be able to use it right in the garden! WELL DONE! Are you a hottie? - Page 5 965819

LOL...thanks camprn. I owe most of my success to you.

At what temperature do you suggest letting the pile get to before I start poking/forking it? The last time I waited till it hit about 115F before I rebuilt it. That seemed to work for me but since you're the expert, I'll follow your advice.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/27/2012, 6:41 pm

Well, it's either use the wet blood meal or throw it away, so I'm going to use it. Since the compost pile is at the back of the property with no nearby neighbors, it really doesn't matter how foul it smells for awhile.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 6:49 pm

curio wrote:Well, it's either use the wet blood meal or throw it away, so I'm going to use it. Since the compost pile is at the back of the property with no nearby neighbors, it really doesn't matter how foul it smells for awhile.

That sounds like a good idea. I would think that the stink shouldn't last too long.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/27/2012, 7:39 pm

You don't really want the compile to get hotter than 160 as there is the possibility of fire:
http://www.nachi.org/compost-pile-hazards.htm
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/27/2012, 8:03 pm

Lindacol wrote:You don't really want the compile to get hotter than 160 as there is the possibility of fire:

affraid
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/27/2012, 8:11 pm

Lindacol wrote:You don't really want the compile to get hotter than 160 as there is the possibility of fire:
This is unlikely with the size pile TTT has, however I think a good poke with a fork and pull it apart a bit would cool it down a little. By opening the chimneys it may already be coming down. By tomorrow the temp should be coming down some. 160 is pretty hot and pretty quickly those organisms making all that heat will die from the high temps.

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/Factsheets/FS5.html

Last edited by camprn on 3/27/2012, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added informational link.)

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/27/2012, 8:47 pm

camprn wrote:
This is unlikely with the size pile TTT has, however I think a good poke with a fork and pull it apart a bit would cool it down a little. By opening the chimneys it may already be coming down. By tomorrow the temp should be coming down some. 160 is pretty hot and pretty quickly those organisms making all that heat will die from the high temps.

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/Factsheets/FS5.html

The last time I checked, the temperature was around 158F. When those sticks were in the pile, the temperature was around 162F. If my backyard neighbor would see the pile, he might think that it is on fire. The steam was really coming out of those holes.

It's still amazing to me that I got it up that high. I wonder how high it would've climbed if I didn't pull those sticks out.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 3/28/2012, 9:27 am

Lil brag here:

Saturday, I mowed the grass n bagged the clippings. I then drug out some bagged leaves I had been squirreling away all winter. I made a pile and ran them over with my mower. I then tossed a couple shovelfuls of finished compost and some "filtered" beer Very Happy . This morning (3 days later), I went to take a look and my thermometer was already >125* and rising Very Happy
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/28/2012, 9:56 am

TN_GARDENER wrote:Lil brag here:

Saturday, I mowed the grass n bagged the clippings. I then drug out some bagged leaves I had been squirreling away all winter. I made a pile and ran them over with my mower. I then tossed a couple shovelfuls of finished compost and some "filtered" beer Very Happy . This morning (3 days later), I went to take a look and my thermometer was already >125* and rising Very Happy

That's awesome TN. Are you a hottie? - Page 5 3170584802
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 4/4/2012, 1:35 pm

Well, I dunno what the temp was when I turned my piles. However, the "leaf & bloodmeal" pile wasn't "smokin hot" but it did have the ashy look to it. The horse manure, on the other hand, was steamin! affraid

Since the "leaf & bloodmeal" pile was only about 1.5 feet high, and the horse manure pile was about 2.5 feet high, I went ahead and combined them. My pile may be a bit wide/tall now, but it's not too out of hand. I'm really looking forward to turning it again in a few days! What a Face

I guess having at least one "steamy" pile puts me into the "hottie" catagory now! cheers
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/4/2012, 1:53 pm

wncsohn wrote:Well, I dunno what the temp was when I turned my piles. However, the "leaf & bloodmeal" pile wasn't "smokin hot" but it did have the ashy look to it. The horse manure, on the other hand, was steamin! affraid

Since the "leaf & bloodmeal" pile was only about 1.5 feet high, and the horse manure pile was about 2.5 feet high, I went ahead and combined them. My pile may be a bit wide/tall now, but it's not too out of hand. I'm really looking forward to turning it again in a few days! What a Face

I guess having at least one "steamy" pile puts me into the "hottie" catagory now! cheers

Welcome to the Hottie World! What a Face

That leaf and bloodmeal pile probably wasn't tall enough to build up any kind of good heat. An ideal pile size is between 3 ft x 3ft x 3ft and 4 ft x 4ft x 4ft. If it's a little smaller than that, no big deal and if it's a little bigger than that, again...no big deal.
Now that you combined those two piles, I can almost guarantee that the pile will be generating some nice heat. If you don't have a compost thermometer yet, get one.

as Chef Emeril Lagasse would say....

"It ain't rocket science"
Are you a hottie? - Page 5 3170584802
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 4/4/2012, 3:18 pm

I finally broke down and bought an analog (meat) thermometer with an 18" probe at Walmart in the grill supplies department for $5. It is now my new compost thermometer, much to the relief of my wife, who never was comfortable with my use of our digital grill thermometer for the compost, no matter how well I wrapped it or cleaned it!
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 4/4/2012, 3:24 pm

1airdoc wrote:I finally broke down and bought an analog (meat) thermometer with an 18" probe at Walmart in the grill supplies department for $5. It is now my new compost thermometer, much to the relief of my wife, who never was comfortable with my use of our digital grill thermometer for the compost, no matter how well I wrapped it or cleaned it!

OMG what a good idea!!! I've been eyeballing a compost thermometer on Amazon for about a month now, but the thought of spending $20+ for a thermometer had me "just" eyeballing it! Now $5 I can definately do without feeling like I'm spending too much money!
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 Empty trying again

Post  morganfam7 4/17/2012, 9:32 pm

Congrats on being a steamy hottie, wncsohn!

I'm using free city mulch - big stuff. I first mixed it with a variety of veggie scraps and pantry clean out items plus some coffee grounds from Starbucks. I got lots of grey, but not a whole lot of heat. It was a smaller pile - 1x3x3.

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 7089053327_bca8139938

I scraped half off the top and added 100 pounds of rabbit poo. The pile was still not that magic 3x3x3. The next day (Sunday) was 66 outside, but the pile was near 100!

Are you a hottie? - Page 5 6942994636_a03b972975

Today, we layered another 500 pounds of rabbit poo with about 35# of mulch and lots of water...and then piled another foot of mulch on top of the whole thing. I hope to have steam tomorrow.

I ran the numbers for 7# bark mulch at 400:1 and 100# rabbit poo at 6:1 which gave me 31:1 near that magic ratio of 30:1...seems like a lot of poo for a little carbon, but tomorrow will tell the tale. I sure hope this works.... :scratch:

I'm soooo trying to figure out how to make this free city mulch into compost.... Are you a hottie? - Page 5 27650
morganfam7
morganfam7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 26  Next