Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Toplef10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 I22gcj10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Toplef10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 I22gcj10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

+16
Roseinarosecity
LeeAnne12
littlejo
WolfHeart
Squat_Johnson
staf74
camprn
Rhianna78
nancy
llama momma
NorthWoodsFever
Goosegirl
Chopper
RoOsTeR
BackyardBirdGardner
Josh
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Empty Re: Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

Post  camprn 1/14/2012, 12:41 pm

Rhianna78 wrote:I guess I'm a bad bird feeder then. I enjoy watching all of them so I feed them all. I also feed the squirrels which seems to tick off some bird purists. Embarassed

I've got stuff out for thistle eaters, ground feeders, woodpeckers - like the suet I make & the occasional orange nailed to the tree, and hummingbirds come spring.
Nice!!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Empty Re: Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

Post  staf74 1/14/2012, 12:47 pm

Be careful out there Josh.....be very careful What a Face What a Face

staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/14/2012, 1:24 pm

Rhianna78 wrote:I guess I'm a bad bird feeder then. I enjoy watching all of them so I feed them all. I also feed the squirrels which seems to tick off some bird purists. Embarassed

I've got stuff out for thistle eaters, ground feeders, woodpeckers - like the suet I make & the occasional orange nailed to the tree, and hummingbirds come spring.

I do the same thing. However, I stop feeding when the Starlings and Grackles start taking everything under the sun.

I feed my squirrels to the side of everything. I have a bungee cord with two corn cobs on it. The squirrels jump up there and just bounce and eat. It keeps them occupied enough they stay away from my feeders for the most part.

I'm far from a bird "purist."
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/14/2012, 2:40 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I feed my squirrels to the side of everything. I have a bungee cord with two corn cobs on it. The squirrels jump up there and just bounce and eat. It keeps them occupied enough they stay away from my feeders for the most part.

I'm far from a bird "purist."

Ha! I LOVE the bungee cord idea...I may have to try that. Smile
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 1/14/2012, 6:39 pm

NorthWoodsFever wrote:Would these birds count??\
tongue
I don't have them on my list to report, but I think they would fit under unusual sightings.. Wink

staf74 wrote:Be careful out there Josh.....be very careful\
What a Face What a Face
I know staf74...it's scary out there! I turned in 500 of crackles and it sent up a red flag on my entry and they said Shocked ..are you sure... tongue

We had a bald headed cardinal last year, and no one knew what it was, everyone thought it was some kind of rare bird or something cause they really look weird! bald birds

I did have a visit at the feeders that I wasn't sure what it was, it's on the list of birds to report but not on my photo Id chart, BBG ID it for me, a mocking bird. BBG said they don't usually go to feeders, they like berries and things like that, but I had added a berry mix and that may be why it came to the feeder.
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Femalejay

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
You will notice that when the weather
turns bad/cold, your feeders heat up with activity. Just yesterday,
among the flurries of snow,\

Since it snowed, the feeders have been very busy! The cardinals look nice in the snow.
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Cardinalinsnow
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/14/2012, 7:24 pm

I have been battling the exploding squirrel population at my bird feeder this winter. However I do have the usual juncos, black capped chickadees, cardinals, the obnoxious blue jay, tufted titmouse, mourning doves, white breasted nuthatch, and last week a few finches, but today when I was driving I saw a beautiful rough legged hawk sitting on a highway sign overlooking the frozen marsh; it looked very similar to this one. In this article, see how large these raptors are, fabulous creatures. http://wildtowild.blogspot.com/2011/02/rough-legged-hawk-is-released.html
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Rough_legged_hawk_sim_1

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/14/2012, 7:57 pm

We had a small hawk of some sort on our back patio under the bird feeder a couple weeks ago...it had taken off when the DH walked over by the back door. Thankfully it was smaller than our chickens! lol They were in their coop at the time. We've had the usual sparrows - not sure which kind, Blue Jays, Cardinals, Chickadees, Wood Peckers, Titmice...I love watching them.Very Happy

Last edited by NorthWoodsFever on 1/14/2012, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/14/2012, 7:58 pm

Camp, I bet you see some Pine Siskins, Redpolls, and Grosbeaks from time to time....not every year. I would practically kill to see them at my feeders. They just don't get this far south....or maybe even west....with any regularity.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/14/2012, 8:08 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I feed my squirrels to the side of everything. I have a bungee cord with two corn cobs on it. The squirrels jump up there and just bounce and eat. It keeps them occupied enough they stay away from my feeders for the most part.

Please describe the bungee cord setup. Run between trees or just tied up around one tree? Never heard of that kind of feeding station, sounds like it would be fun to watch them.

I have a standard "L" feeder which they generally behave & leave the birds be, but they'll eat the suet as well (I put some in the feeder, some on the ground). No worries as I make my own so it isn't too pricey. The only time we have problems is we have a mating pair of Blue Jay and a mating pair of Cardinals so I have to set up more feed stations come spring just to keep everyone happy.

I haven't noticed a lot of starlings. I get a lot of crows at times but the dog seems to keep them in check. I know I have a family of squirrels, I actually put a house up for them. Part of our property is behind the fence so its got lots of trees, underbrush, and dead fall so I get a fairly decent assortment of birds. Come spring we'll hopefully get our crane back, he likes to take his breakfast in the drainage ditch where the frogs hang out. We've got racoons as well, but I don't know if they live out back or in one of the wooded neighbors' yards. Seen a couple deer back there as well but only as ones, never with young and never a mature buck. Like I said, a good assortment of creatures.

I'm thinking of registering the yard as a "Backyard Habitat" with the National Wildlife Federation. We have everything covered to include the bird water stations and a small fish pond, with gold fish. The husband has yet to agree to that one though.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 1/14/2012, 9:08 pm

Chopper wrote:Maybe he was a rebel without a clue. Or the bird version of goth.

Btw, I am itching to drive cross country and if I do I will be going through Illinois. I have GOT to see that garden if I get close.

Chopper, I missed this, if you come to Illinois, you have got to come and visit me!! You can help me pick cotton! tongue I might send you home with a giant tomato Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 832433
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 1/15/2012, 10:13 am

Josh wrote:
Chopper wrote:Maybe he was a rebel without a clue. Or the bird version of goth.

Btw, I am itching to drive cross country and if I do I will be going through Illinois. I have GOT to see that garden if I get close.

Chopper, I missed this, if you come to Illinois, you have got to come and visit me!! You can help me pick cotton! tongue I might send you home with a giant tomato Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 832433

Now, Josh, let's not go recruiting what can be misinterpreted as "slaves." Wink

I haven't been taking a lot of pictures lately....kind of burned out. However, I have meant to get out an document the bungee set up a bit.

My feeding stations revolve around one thing.....baffles. If you place your feeders on poles, and away from trees (like 10 feet minimum), all you need is a baffle on the pole about 4 feet high and under the feeders. Squirrel proof to 99%. Done.

If you are near trees, you need crazy contraptions. Baffles above. Baffles below. Whatever you do it will be like a war. Everything you do the squirrels will thwart. You will never be 100% free of them eating your seeds. They are just too agile and attack from above, below, and even sideways. I've seen them use their weight on the right branches to sling themselves into range and jump from there. They are amazingly smart critters.

I have to use the trees for my setups because I need to bring the birds in super close to my windows to photograph them. I'm just too lazy to go outside and sit for half an hour in a chair waiting for a single opportunity. I like it better when I have the camera by the window and can pop off a few pics when I see activity outside. So, I have a squirrel issue a lot.

One way to reduce them getting the feeders, and the "good seed" is to throw trash seed on the ground beneath the feeders. The cheap store mixes are perfect for this. However, I went even cheaper. I bought a bunch of cracked corn from a feed store for about $.60/lb. I mix it in with the cheap seed mix and toss about two cups on the ground every morning. The squirrels take the easy route and stay off my feeders.....until the ground is picked over and they get hungry.

The bungee is for entertainment. It's store bought....called the Squngee. You could probably google it. I found it in a bird store for about $16. When you open the package, it has a chain, a bell, a tethered bungee section, two "eye" screws, and some ties to tie to a hook in the tree. It's completely ready to go.....my kind of contraption.

It takes about 5 minutes to hang it and another 5 to get the corn cobs screwed in. You go back inside and just like fishing, the bell rings when you got one! Go to the window and watch them bounce.

At first, I put it about a foot or two off the ground. Now, its up a ways....several feet. The squirrels don't care in the least. They want the corn.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 1/15/2012, 8:01 pm

Hey...if you and chopper both come over...we can have a cotton picken party! Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 832433
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 1/16/2012, 10:53 am

Patti and I are also doing the Birdwatch this winter. It was cold this weekend, and we saw _lots_ of birds. I think the most cardinals we saw at one time was 18.

Last weekend I was down at the garden, and saw a Bald Eagle. This is the first I have seen one at my place in KY.

I was mesmerized by the graceful bird... First I saw it just over the treetops, and I was surprised by how large it was, it seemed to be 7 ft. wide. It kept riding the thermals, and in a minute it was a mile up, and appeared to be just a pinpoint.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/26/2012, 3:05 pm

Josh how is this project coming along?
Here are some amazing birds to watch!

Live Video streaming by Ustream

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 2/27/2012, 7:20 pm

The Eagle and the hawk are pretty awesome! We have some hawks that fly around, but they don't look as pretty as that one!
I've not seen anything new, but there has been an increase in the amount that is coming to the feeders now.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/27/2012, 7:52 pm

I finally have some brown/gold finches visiting. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 2/27/2012, 8:04 pm

Wow! Josh you have an amazing backyard feeding station, I really envy you! I used to feed all the backyard birds when i lived out in the country. Now I live too close to the city and all i get are the European house sparrow and starlings Sad I am sort of a snob when it comes to bird feeding and I don't want to feed those so I packed in the feeding station and haven't done it for over a year Sad

I have seen a few things that I would like to comment on through the thread:
Cardinals molt their head feathers all at once (basically) and you end up with some very un-pretty birds. Cardinals only molt once a year, generally in the spring, unless they were hatched that year. you can tell the young birds by the dark bill.

In order to limit the amount of "trash" birds that come to your feeder there are a few things you can do:
I had a lot of problems with common grackles and starlings kicking out the feed trying to find what they wanted. I started feeding safflower, think of it as a white version of the black oil sunflower. it virtually eliminated all of those "trash" birds from cleaning me out! cheers the other thing i can suggest is this feeder called the Squirrel Buster or This one called the Eliminator They are both the same product just sold through different vendors. It is an expensive purchase but the nice thing with this type of feeder is you can set the tension of the system to eliminate those "trash" birds as well as squirrels and raccoons cheers cheers cheers I have four of them in my back yard and never worried about what i fed, I had everything from grosbeaks to cardinals titmice to nuthatches....even had a brown creeper come in one time, not sure why I think he was just visiting with friends Laughing

Any how didn't mean to hijack, I would love to see what your numbers were for the winter.
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 4/12/2012, 9:45 pm

Baby Eastern Bluebirds

I noticed the bluebirds going in the bluebird house about a week ago, so I took a look and there were 6 eggs in the nest.
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Bluebirdeggs

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Easternblubird2

I saw them today waiting for me to move away from the nest box
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 EasternBlubird3

I looked inside and the eggs had hatched
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Babybluebirds4-12-12
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 4/13/2012, 4:40 am

Great pictures Josh!!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/13/2012, 6:35 am

WOW! How exciting! nice photos! Thanks Josh, for sharing.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/13/2012, 7:49 am

I started a bluebird trail with 2 nesting boxes so far. Just wish there was a way to keep the tree swallows and sparrows out of the boxes. The bluebirds are so gentle they hang around trying to get a box but are not up to fighting hard for one. They are nesting somewhere else. They spend lots of time on the pasture fences, hawking for bugs on the ground and they do come up to the house for mealworms. It's pretty nice to have them anyway. In the past I've enjoyed watching the babies apparently learning the ropes from dad. Just wish they would use the nice boxes, poles, and baffles I paid for, instead of the other cruddy birds.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/13/2012, 8:18 am

My feeders are out in the yard and we have all sorts of birds. My DH put the bluebird houses nailed to the uprights on the porch, under the eves. The bluebirds are the only birds that are tame enough, unafraid of humans, so had no problems from other birds.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/13/2012, 9:04 am

That's interesting, I like that idea. My husband keeps asking me to put a nest box up close. I keep trying to go by the book and put them out in the pasture, 100 feet from tree lines, and nest box spacing of 100 yards apart. Nice little effort of measuring, then the other birds take up residence. I have a third nest box, and doggone it, think I will try your method, bring it up close to the house and see what happens. Thanks!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 4/13/2012, 9:35 am

If you put the sunflower course hearts in a feeder, the bluebirds will come to it to feed in the winter. I have been battling the house sparrows this spring. I am a bird lover, and hope I don't offend anyone. House Sparrows are not a native bird of the US, so it is legal to kill them. I don't have a problem doing it, because I opened my bluebird box a couple of years ago after seeing the sparrows and bluebirds fighting for territory. The male was dead with his eyes poked out and his beak torn up. If we, as bird lovers, don't try to stop them from getting in the boxes, there won't be any bluebirds left. Another mean bird is a house wren, but they are native, so there isn't a lot you can do about them. They poked holes in the bluebird eggs last year.

The next few weeks are exciting times for the bird photographer, because there are a lot of migrants coming through. Josh, you may know this, but if you put grape jelly out, you might get some Baltimore Orioles coming into your feeders...if they come through your neck of the woods. They LOVE it! Happy birding!!!

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Female Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Empty Blue bird boxes

Post  littlejo 4/13/2012, 10:36 am

I thought I'd give you'all a couple pics. These boxes were put up before we read the book! I don't think they are the suggested size either.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Pic_0231

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 2 Pic_0232

LeeAnn, what do you put the grape jelly in? I've had a couple B Orioles in yrs past.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next