Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thanksgiving Fun!!! Toplef10Thanksgiving Fun!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thanksgiving Fun!!! I22gcj10Thanksgiving Fun!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Thanksgiving Fun!!! Toplef10Thanksgiving Fun!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Thanksgiving Fun!!! I22gcj10Thanksgiving Fun!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Thanksgiving Fun!!!

+13
elliephant
moswell
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
Luci Dawson
boffer
squaredeal
UnderTheBlackWalnut
BackyardBirdGardner
RoOsTeR
Mamachibi
Too Tall Tomatoes
middlemamma
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Thanksgiving Fun!!! Empty Thanksgiving Fun!!!

Post  middlemamma 11/18/2011, 5:07 am

I know my family is crazy!

Is your family crazy?

I thought we could share our most crazy Thanksgiving Day stories here in a thread just to have some Thanksgiving Fun!

What is your favorite Thanksgiving Day tradition?

Post your favorite Thanksgiving Day Recipe!

BUT ABOVE ALL DO NOT FORGET TO TELL US ABOUT YOUR CRAZIEST THANKSGIVING EVER!

I think this year for me is going to top the crazy t-day list so I will reserve my story until next Friday Very Happy Thought you would like to be kept waiting... Twisted Evil

Let the games BEGIN!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Fun!!! Empty Re: Thanksgiving Fun!!!

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/18/2011, 5:19 am

hey middlemamma,

Don't forget to include pictures of all of your craziness!

While at work today, I'm sure I will remember some of my Thanksgiving fun. I'll report it and my all-time favorite stuffing recipe.

Thanksgiving Fun!!! 211713
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 11/18/2011, 7:47 am

I have two that rival each other. First, the year Mama learned to oil paint. We never did figure out how the turpentine got into the stuffing.

Second, us kids were always shuffled off to the kiddie table, but our poodle had a bib tied around her neck and ate turkey at the table from the china and silver. I was never fond of that hound.
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/18/2011, 7:52 am

This sounds like fun! I will have to break out my buttermilk pie recipe. My Thanksgiving is not complete without it. Very Happy
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/18/2011, 9:50 am

Oh boy....too many stories. I think I'm passing our hereditary dysfunction down to my kids, too. It's as if too much from the same genetic pool in close proximity creates mass chaos.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/18/2011, 10:12 am

Thanksgiving Fun!!! 656620 I guess its the chaos and craziness that create the best memories...
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 11/18/2011, 6:58 pm

My brother does the Alton Brown turkey derrick! Yes, it really works for frying turkeys! Smile

Here is the link to the video...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/thanksgiving-turkey-tips-and-how-tos/video/index.html?videoId=29726

Here is the link to the directions...
http://altonbrown.com/pdfs/AB_turkey_derrick.pdf

mm - Can't wait to hear your stories! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 11/18/2011, 11:15 pm

We had a dog who visited one of the neighbors' and ate some of the leftover turkey. We didn't know this before we left on a two hour trip to visit family. He wasn't a car dog to begin with and with a full belly of turkey .... well, let's just say we had to stop multiple times to clean up (and air out) the car!

Our other dog (we only had two in 30 years) snuck into a different neighbor's garage and stole the turkey carcass right out of the trash can. They called us, but couldn't be mad because he looked so proud trotting up the driveway with that carcass in his mouth. We got it away from him before he could chew on the bones.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/19/2011, 8:44 am

squaredeal wrote:We had a dog who visited one of the neighbors' and ate some of the leftover turkey. We didn't know this before we left on a two hour trip to visit family. He wasn't a car dog to begin with and with a full belly of turkey .... well, let's just say we had to stop multiple times to clean up (and air out) the car!

Our other dog (we only had two in 30 years) snuck into a different neighbor's garage and stole the turkey carcass right out of the trash can. They called us, but couldn't be mad because he looked so proud trotting up the driveway with that carcass in his mouth. We got it away from him before he could chew on the bones.

Reminds me of the movie Christmas Story LOL! The dog ate the Christmas beast.

I must confess I am somewhat concerned about the holidays. As of this morning I have lost 64 lbs doing Weight Watchers Very Happy Haha, I weighed more in highschool, even though back then I was solid as a rock...funny how solids turn to jello when you get older idk
Luckily, I am at a point where I can eat what I want for a few days on special occasions and not gain or drop quickly what I do.
Thank goodness cause I have been drooling on myself thinking about making my pies and eating mounds of mashed taters and graaaaavvvvyyyy bottoms up weeee
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/19/2011, 10:01 am

I really can't think of any Thanksgiving stories to tell. I guess I was lucky enough to have a normal family Thanksgiving Fun!!! 262465

Well, the only one I can think of now took place Thanksgiving of 1992(OMG....19 years ago!).

I was making the stuffing. I had everything prepared(bread cut up into cubes, sauteed onions and celery, spices, etc) and when I add the liquid from cooking the giblets, the bread just turned to absolute mush. I was horrified. It was the first time that the recipe ever got messed up and it happened while I made it. My Mom suggested that I just gently fold more bread cubes into the slop. Well I did and it actually turned out better than I anticipated.

The only thing I could come up with is that it must've been the bread. Maybe it was too fresh. I definitely didn't add too much liquid.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/19/2011, 10:03 am

I thought this would be appropriate for this thread.....

Cooking with the Three Stooges

if you don't want to watch the whole clip, you MUST skip ahead to the 2 minute mark. LMAO
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/19/2011, 10:56 am

rofl rofl Too funny. Never seen the 3 Stooges in color before. Nice.

Buttermilk Pie

9" unbanked pie shell, chilled

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. flour
2 cups buttermilk
6 Tbs. butter, melted
11/2 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt
Large bowl, beat eggs until they are light & lemon colored. Mix sugar & flour, add to beaten eggs 1/4 cup at a time, beating constantly. Stir in buttermilk, butter, vanilla & salt.
Pour into pie shell & bake in preheated oven at 450, on lowest shelf for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 & bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack.

You can increase or decrease the sugar to your desired taste. I typically use 1 1/2c.
If you have never had buttermilk pie before, its along the lines of a chess pie.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/19/2011, 5:01 pm

Turkey Stuffing

cooked giblets, finely chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 pounds bread(21 cups), measured after cutting into cubes
1 TBS salt
1 TBS poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sage
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup of liquid from cooking giblets
1/2 cup parsley, chopped

Cook giblets in just enough water to cover them and chop fine. Cube the bread and set aside. Melt butter or margarine and slowly simmer the celery and onions for a few minutes. Add the salt, poultry seasoning, sage, and pepper. Mix well and remove from heat, and let cool. Combine the celery and onion mixture with the bread. Add beaten eggs, giblet liquid, and parsley. Toss lightly until all ingredients are well blended.

You can chop the celery and onion as fine as you like. You can even put then in the food processor and chop them that way....that's the way I do it. When you clean the celery, you can always use the leaves or little stubby leftovers along with some onion and put that in with the giblets and cook. It'll make the broth more flavorful. If you get the usual giblets with the turkey(neck, heart, stomach, liver), they don't all go in the pot at the same time. Simmer the neck first for a little bit, then put in the stomach, simmer for a few minutes, then put in the heart and simmer for a few minutes more. The liver goes in last because that takes the shortest amount of time.
Depending on how much stuffing you are making, you might want to get yourself an extra tub of chicken livers. You don't have to use the neck in the stuffing, but cook it anyway and either pick the meat off and eat(like my brother and I used to do), or just throw it away. There's very little meat on it.

A single batch of this recipe makes enough stuffing for a 15-18 pound turkey. I ALWAYS made a minimum of a double batch of this because it's so good. And yes.....you can actually put this in the turkey. Just don't pack it in too tightly. Any extra stuffing can be baked in the oven. Just be sure you baste it a few times with turkey broth from the roasting pan.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/19/2011, 6:13 pm

almost forgot in that previous post....

The recipe calls for 1 cup of giblet cooking liquid but you might not need it all. Add it a little at a time.

geek
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/19/2011, 6:36 pm

Well, the first shoe just dropped on the holiday season. Mom just blew a gasket and sent all kids (including the one typing) to the basement to play where she can't hear them for awhile.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/19/2011, 7:04 pm

DoH! If momma aint happy...
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Fun!!! Empty cranberry sauce

Post  squaredeal 11/19/2011, 7:37 pm

hmmm Buttermilk pie! I had it for the first time about six weeks ago and it was heavenly!

How 'bout a recipe for Cranberry Sauce? Its been in our family since 1890 and its a jelly, not a relish or sauce, and it is quite sweet.

1 lb "box" of cranberries (1+ bags of cranberries)

1 cup boiling water

2 cups sugar

Wash, pick over berries, drain. Cook in one cup of boiling water until skins burst 10-15 minutes. Stir all the time. They should be tender and thick. Blend in a blender (or not), return to the pan, add the 2 cups of sugar and continue cooking 5-8 minutes more, stirring constantly. Pour into a 1 qrt mold and refridgerate.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/20/2011, 4:02 pm

Doesn't every crazy woman story begin with, "I was pregnant with so-and-so" ?

I was pregnant with Caleb, big pregnant, it was Thanksgiving and he was due January. Thanksgiving for 20+ was at our house that year and I was stressed out. The day before I was doing the cooking marathon. Pies, relish trays, cranberry sauce, veggie trays, dips, you name it, if it could be prepared the day before I was doing it. I boiled the eggs for deviled eggs. I was young, only 21 or 22, and no one had ever imparted the perfect boiled egg trick to me.

So I was hunched over the kitchen sink, as big as a friggin' house, feeling as big as a a duplex. My whole torso hurt, I had been on my feet for so long and after a while when you are that big pregnant gravity takes effect on that baby belly and you just hurt. It was like 11 PM and I still had a cheesecake to make. The shells wouldn't come off. I had peeled so many shells my finger tips were sore, every bit of shell was fighting for its life clinging to that egg white. The eggs looked like I had tried to peel them with the tip end of a veggie peeler.

I still had a dozen or so to go when I lost it. I screamed an animalistic guttural scream of frustration and I threw something that hit the wall with a bang, a coffee cup? I don't remember. Then I wilted into an enormous pile of fat human on the kitchen floor writhing with female hormonal sobs of anguish and frustration. When my husband at the time came from the bedroom around the kitchen corner and stood there like a deer in the headlights, that just made me cry more. I laid on the linoleum floor wailing in full on 3 year old tantrum mode. Had you been there you might have been able to discern my cries of hate toward the stupid eggs, or my sobs of how ruined the WHOLE holiday was, or my groans about how I hate the Holidays, or my whines about how everyone hated me even the eggs, or my distress about how fat and ugly I was.

Someone should teach a class to men on how to handle a woman this far fallen down the hormonal pit of despair, I have never met one to this day that handles it right. The proper response is to help her up off the kitchen floor, hug her, tell her dinner will be fine and the holiday is not ruined. Don't forget to add that she is beautiful. Dry her eyes, hug her again. Tell her you love her.

Whatever you do...don't get mad and start yelling about how ridiculous she is being....because THEN she goes from despair to pissed in about 2.6 seconds and might throw a freshly baked apple pie at you, or maybe a whole tray of freshly cut vegetables, or maybe a huge glass platter meant for Tom the Turkey. Or maybe all three and you spend Thanksgiving day not speaking. Either way it's better for all involved if you just follow the above advice. You might even get some Thanksgiving day lovin' if you play your cards right.

GOBBLE GOBBLE!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/21/2011, 2:18 pm

The forum is slow, so I figured why not stir up a little controversy with a rebuttal:
"mm's advice works, BUT, BEWARE YOU MEN OUT THERE..."

I've lost track of the number of post drafts that I've deleted. No matter how impeccable my logic and reasoning is that encourages and instructs men to avoid that situation altogether, I can't do it. As much as young men need to hear my advice, they're not getting here, today. I'm sorry, fellas, I can't do it.

You see, mm played the pregnancy card. Guys, when women get together, they like to out-brag and out-complain each other, about who got biggest, who hurt the most, who stayed skinniest, who got the worse stretch marks, who saw death's door during delivery, who got the biggest episiotomy or C section scar (or smallest), and who lost the most post-natal weight. They giggle that men don't know their secret word (perineum), and that men could never endure the pain of birthing, etc etc etc. However, as much as they like to compete with each other, when their hormone induced lunacy is challenged by a male, they will join together and circle the wagons faster than a pregnant woman looking for a bathroom. I would get shredded into worm food!

Sorry, gents, we're waaaaay outnumbered here. For now, let's keep mum about how to deal with wacked out hormones, and live to fight another day. I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving Day!

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/21/2011, 4:19 pm

I have a feeling this is about to turn ugly.

A topic such as this usually goes the way of a religion or politics thread.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/21/2011, 5:56 pm

As a former OB nurse who has delivered her share of the little darlings when the MD didn't make it to the hospital on time, I can assure you that some women really do have difficult pregnancies and labors.

HOWEVER, I've often wondered when overhearing them share their stories with each other whether they undergo selective amnesia at some point, since some of them came back for an encore or 2, or 3....and once for her 10th!!!
happy2
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/21/2011, 7:16 pm

please pass the stuffing chicken dance
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/21/2011, 8:40 pm

Give me stuffing or give me death! Thanksgiving Fun!!! 211713
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/22/2011, 5:06 am

I actually had two beautiful births and wouldn't use any other word to describe them negatively.

I didn't mean to imply that my craziness was valid...I was trying to be funny.

I apologize for missing the mark and making anyone feel uncomfortable. That includes every wonderful male member on the forum. Smile

I guess without posting too much lately I have lost my touch. LOL

Please commence with more Thanksgiving FUN!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 11/22/2011, 6:19 am

Does size matter?

I'm talking turkeys of course!

The biggest turkey I ever bout was just a hair over 30 pounds.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next