Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG Toplef10My First SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG I22gcj10My First SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My First SFG Toplef10My First SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My First SFG I22gcj10My First SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My First SFG

2 posters

Go down

My First SFG Empty My First SFG

Post  littlejo 10/31/2011, 11:17 pm

I was asked about my garden results in another thread. I wrote it out and did not realize I'd put up and eaten so much this yr. I plan on getting and learning how to use a pressure cooker this yr. I froze just about everything and a long power failure could be disasterous
We ate salads til we were almost sick of them. The lettuce went to seed and have been trying to get some to sprout, just now sprouting.
1-white potatoes- probably 30lbs-4x8 bed full-ones I didn't bring in are growing now. Will have to buy before spring.
2-English peas-froze 1 meal per week plus we ate lots off the vine raw. 4x8 bed with onions all around the outside of the vines.
Re-planted ½ bed of sw.potatoes, ½ bed of bush green beans. Got root-knot nematodes. I don’t think they bothered much. Froze at least 1 meal per week of the green beans(including the beans in with the corn) I just dug the sw. potatoes. Well, I have more potatoes than we will eat this yr.
3-lettuce and spinach then-Bell peppers, cayeene peppers and eggplant. froze prob 1 meal per week for eggplant. We ate the others raw and froze enough peppers to last as seasoning til spring. Froze lots of spinach, I prefer it fresh. Eggplant still blooming. Peppers are loaded, frost did not bother them a bit!
4-Beets, 4x8 with radishes intermixed. froze lots, I think canning would be better flavor- scared of pressure cooker.
5- carrots-onions all around bed. Carrots were ok, ate what we could. they didn't do as good as they coud have-At them all already.
Re-Planted corn and pole beans, did great but planted late and only got 1/2 ears. Froze most of the corn(don’t wash before freezing or the cob will spoil) Will last us til spring.
6- zucchini 4x8 bed. We ate so much, and gave away a lot. I froze 1 meal+ per week til next year.
7+8 2 ft x 8ft. 10 tomato plants in front ft. Cucumbers 1 row, very thickly planted in back ft. by the fence. I put up 16 pints bread + butter pickles and we ate fresh cukes til the heat burnt them up. The cukes will have a bed of their own, because they wanted to climb the tomatoes, a pain. The toms did great, all the salads til Aug. then put up 17 quarts spagetti sauce. That’s real thick, cooked down a lot.
I re-planted snow peas in this bed for fall-growing but not blooming yet.
Onions and radishes planted around the other plants, not in squares of their own. I didn’t count the onions, but won’t have to buy any.
I made a 9th bed this summer and moved the asparagus into it. Also put the tops of tomato plants, rooted into this bed by the fence. The frost got the blooms! Darn.
I’ve planted 4 cabbage, 4 cauliflower, 8 collards and 15 broccoli plants in vacant squares. Lettuce is planted in lots of the squares that were vacant. Mustard greens also.
Also re-planted Egyptian onions in 2 squares. Strawberries still in rows, but the boxes are built for them, now to mixing the MM.
This yr. I planted like items together, rather than having all plants in each bed. Next yr. I will try to plant a square of each plant type in each bed and see how it goes. I do have the squares marked off with string.

littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

My First SFG Empty Re: My First SFG

Post  Patty from Yorktown 11/1/2011, 7:07 am

Hi,
Congratulations on a very productive garden. Enjoy your hard work this winter with good food.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum