Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Toplef10Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite I22gcj10Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Toplef10Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite I22gcj10Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite

+3
San Pedro
shannon1
KellyEllisECS
7 posters

Go down

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Empty Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite

Post  KellyEllisECS 9/26/2011, 12:33 am

Does anyone have any information on the comparative use of Utelite versus vermiculite in the Mel's soil mix?
KellyEllisECS

Back to top Go down

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Empty Re: Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite

Post  shannon1 9/26/2011, 12:58 am

From what I read on their web site it looks like it improves drainage where as vermiculite helps to retain moisture.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Empty Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite

Post  San Pedro 12/10/2012, 1:32 pm

I think they both do basically the same thing: break up clay soils, improve drainage, retain and then release moisture. But Utelite has one advantage that it doesn't break down over time. Perlite will break down into smaller particles and lose its effectiveness, after which you need to reapply. That won't happen with utelite, which is rock-based. Utelite is rock, but it's also relatively lightweight, so it's also used in situations where weight is important, for example rooftop gardens, or for making relatively light-weight concrete.
San Pedro
San Pedro

Back to top Go down

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite Empty Re: Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite

Post  camprn 12/10/2012, 2:30 pm

San Pedro wrote:I think they both do basically the same thing: break up clay soils, improve drainage, retain and then release moisture. But Utelite has one advantage that it doesn't break down over time. Perlite will break down into smaller particles and lose its effectiveness, after which you need to reapply. That won't happen with utelite, which is rock-based. Utelite is rock, but it's also relatively lightweight, so it's also used in situations where weight is important, for example rooftop gardens, or for making relatively light-weight concrete.
I can see where the Utelite not breaking down part is useful for clay soils, but in the SFG I cannot see how utelite would be an equal or better product than the perlite or vermiculite. It would be like putting rocks in your Mel's mix. I know that perlite and vermiculite absorb and retain nutrients and moisture, but I have found no sources saying utelite does the same thing.If you would please cite some study or article that perhaps has side by side comparison??I would find that very helpful.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Haejin 12/10/2012, 4:00 pm

I cannot find any peer reviewed studies comparing utelite vs vermiculite, but I did find some information from a reputable source (my office just happened to have a quick reference) and so i'll just share what I found:

~They are both inert, pH neutral, organic materials (vermiculite=mica and utelite=shale) that are processed in the same manner and are also sold in similar grade (coarse particle sizes roughly the same)

~coarse vermiculite's water retention rate is about 32% (322mL/Liter); coarse utelite's rate is around 20% (200mL/Liter)

That said, I think either one will work fine although if evaporation is a worry (small or narrow beds or hot/dry climate) it might be better to use vermiculite (or you can water more).
~Haejin
Haejin
Haejin

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2012, 7:59 pm

Haejin wrote:

~They are both inert, pH neutral, organic materials (vermiculite=mica and utelite=shale) that are processed in the same manner and are also sold in similar grade (coarse particle sizes roughly the same)

~Haejin

I wonder if radon gas from shale factors into utelite? There are parts of Ohio where homes are affected by shale, as the radon gas from it seeps into home basements. The odorless and tasteless gas is cancer causing and should be vented out of the basement. I'll see what info I can find and share any findings.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2012, 9:10 pm

For what it's worth I found MSDS (material safety data sheet)for both utelite and vermiculite. My concern with Utelite and shale/radon issue though is not addressed anywhere, at least not from my limited online search:

http://www.utelite.com/MSDS.doc

http://ebookbrowse.com/pvp-msds-vermiculite-pdf-d416642001
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/10/2012, 9:21 pm

An interesting issue! In regards to radon gas, it is primarily a health problem in enclosed spaces (indoor air quality). An nerdy interesting read at wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Utelite use compared to vermiculite or perlite WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2012, 10:03 pm

Also, radon is not just an Ohio problem, there are maps that show which states have it since about 1 in 15 homes in the country have radon issues. I only heard of it when I moved here from Long Island. Which btw does does not have a radon problem lucky for them. What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/11/2012, 4:05 am

When reading the thread & knowing that shale tends to be an ancient oil bearing rock formed from clays , salts & is sulphurous , it occured to me that Uelite is not as inert ( contains nothing that will cause a reaction ) as vermiculite so I put " sulfur in uelite " into google & had a good read of several references given

My thoughts have been confirmed :- it is a calcium based sulphurous rock and that is why it helps break clays down ( the calcium ) . The calcium will also tend to help release nutrients out of the composts/soil which could be advantageous in certain mother earth soils .

The sulphur content will tend to make the soils slightly acidic and for that reason alone I would not contemplate using it in my MM . Neither would I want the extra weight of in in my MM for it is much heavier than vermiculite volume for volume .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down