Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Toplef10Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki I22gcj10Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Toplef10Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki I22gcj10Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki

4 posters

Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki

Post  pur3surf 9/25/2011, 3:46 am

I bought and read the book last week and am eager to start, and would like to connect with others in my area that are SFGardeners.

I first saw the SFG while in Santa Barbara the other week while visiting friends who moved there from HI. Loved the idea and concept, which was not too far off what I was doing on my own.

Planning and layout and where to get what are just a few questions I have. It would be great to connect with those who have an experienced knowledge base.

I read through a few of the forum topics and it looks like we almost had a Hawaii SFG association. Please let me know if there is any update on this.

Thank You!
pur3surf

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Re: Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki

Post  fh 10/2/2011, 5:32 am

Hello,
I live in Kaimuki as well and it's really, really hot here. I am starting a sfg as well. I have purchased the materials and have a box filled with the 3 ingredients for soil and placed a grid. I have not planted anything yet, but have started some seeds in small containers. I purchased the vermiculite on-line from Home Depot and they didn't charge shipped and I got it within a week. I couldn't find this at local garden supplies stores (Walmart, Home Deport, City Mill). I purchased the Kellogg Compost as I don't have enough of my own compost and then as well as the Miracle Growth Peat Moss from Home Depot in near Costco.

I picked up 4"x1"x6" pine planks from City Mill and drilled and nail them together. They were reasonable $3 per plank (already cut to size). They also have thin strips for 99 cents that can be cut up for the grid.

Let me know how your sfg is working out.
fh

Back to top Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Re: Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki

Post  OahuSFG 10/3/2011, 6:23 pm

I'd use 8" wood to start the box. The 6" is actually 5 1/2" tall and doesn't allow for extra space for watering. Raising it off the ground and using termite pans is a wise move too. My box got infested with termites! Moving it and re-doing it was a pain!

Free compost can be gotten at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden every Saturday.

How much did you pay for the vermiculite? How many cubic feet? There's a thread on vermiculite sources on Oahu if you need more in the furure.
OahuSFG

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  pur3surf 10/6/2011, 4:06 am

Glad to see there are others in the area - thank you for replying back!

I didn't use wood, i had a built in cement block flower boxes that I switched out to do the SFG method, and its almost the perfect size in a long 6' by 1' 3' rectangluar shape. I didn't think it was large enough to do the Mel's Mix so i bought the Kellogg planting soil. We'll see how it works, so far so good. I bought seeds and starters and all plants are doing well, but the Maui onions :-( may have to restart those.

Has any one heard of SFG seminar or the like coming to HI anytime soon. I saw some old posts and nothing else.
pur3surf

Back to top Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Symposium

Post  OahuSFG 10/6/2011, 4:26 pm

There will probally be another symposium. You can try to contact the local rep at this email address. sfgorders@gmail.com She can tell you if and when there may be an event.

Please post updates on how your SFG does using the Kellogg compost.
OahuSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  pur3surf 10/18/2011, 12:04 am

So far so good with the Kellogg’s. It has quite a bit of manure in it and attracts these funky little flies that do evenly go away.

In the rectangular section I am growing winter squash, spinach, carrots, radishes, 1 broccoli, 1 cabbage, three different kinds of kale, onions & peas both of which don’t seem to be doing well for some reason; and then by pots, tomatoes, herbs and lemon grass.

I really wanted to try sweet potatoes, but need a bit more depth and room for that. It’s really rewarding to pick a few leaves of kale or whatever and cook. I’ll expand early spring next year!
pur3surf

Back to top Go down

Post  pur3surf 10/18/2011, 12:08 am

I have tried to upload a picture but i can't seem to get it work. if i can get this figured out i can show you how i adapted the SFG to my existing space.
pur3surf

Back to top Go down

Post  fh 10/18/2011, 2:46 pm

Hi,
I just went for my morning walk in Kaimui and saw a sfg doing really well. Did you use all Kelloggs in your plot? I followed Mel's suggestion of 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermuculite, 1/3 peat moss and it's doing terrible, the seedlings I started and transplanted are either dead or just dormant. The 2 starter plants I bought from home depot are not doing much either. I need to redo the whole 4x4 plot.
Thanks for any suggestions!
fh

Back to top Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Free compost at Halawa?

Post  fh 10/18/2011, 2:56 pm

"Free compost can be gotten at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden every Saturday"

Can you please tell me if you used the compost from Halawa Xeriscape Garden and if you used it straight or mixed anything into it? And how it is working? I read about free compost on-line, but was thinking that it's just mulch and woodchips like they have at KCC (which I think is also free). They have a huge pile on the Kaimuki Street side of the campus.

Also, should I just use Kelloggs straight? It's about $10 per 3 cubic feet at Home Depot. I will need to get 4 bags to fill up 4'x4'.

After purchasing the vermuculite ($38 for 2 bags of 2 cubic feet ea. ) at Home Depot on line and then the peat moss along with the Kelloggs, I just don't want to spend all that money again and be disappointed.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
fh

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/18/2011, 4:57 pm

was your 1/3 compost a blend of 5 different TYPES of compost? That might be your problem. If it was 5 different types, I don't know Sad
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Looking for other SFGers around Honolulu Kaimuki Empty Compost at Halawa

Post  OahuSFG 10/18/2011, 10:16 pm

fh,

I made a mistake on the compost at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden/Board of Water Supply. Huge gomenasai (apologies/please excuse boo boo)!

When I went to get some, it was a special deal on the day I went. They were giving out as much Compost as you wanted for free at the Annual Plant sale day. This is not typical. Unlimited Mulch is given free every weekend. The staff said you can take the mulch and compost it further. There could be some mulch that has broken down that can be used, but there is no guarantee when you go. Really sorry, again for the mis-information.

However, you can get a cubic yard of compost from Hawaiian Earth Products for 34.00. The employee said the amount is a regular size truck bed. Here's more info: http://www.menehunemagichawaii.com/

I will definately check Home Depot on line for vermiculite. That is a great price for 4 cubic feet. I am guessing that you were not charged for shipping.

pur3surf,

My Chinese peas never did well in my box too. I would watch the lemon grass and sweet potatoes in your box if you decide to plant that. Both are super invasive! My whole front yard is full of sweet potatoes and I don't tend them or water them!!! Delicious though, when I do have to trim them.
OahuSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down