Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Toplef10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 I22gcj10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Toplef10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 I22gcj10Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

+23
shannon1
curio
Tuxdad
Nonna.PapaVino
AranMC
ksbmom
Squat_Johnson
plantoid
NorthWoodsFever
Glendale-gardener
CindiLou
Windsor.Parker
ModernDayBetty
kgooding
sherryeo
llama momma
duhh
boffer
AprilakaCCIL
southern gardener
Denese
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

Post  AranMC 1/24/2012, 5:17 pm

Hi ksbmom, I once 'permanently relocated' a coon too....
Farmers rules again:
Shoot once
Bury Deep
Say nothing...lol
It had been bothering my chickens, stealing the eggs, injuring and traumatizing the chickens so we used a trap and bye bye coon...lol

I no longer have the chickens and ducks and I'll be turning the old run into my veggie garden and their old shed into my seed starting and potting shed.
I know we have a lot of chipmunks and squirrels even though we have 10 rescue cats and a 93lb dog that thinks she's a cat but there's still plenty of wildlife around.. So I'll be making wooden frames and covering them with chicken wire to place over the beds to protect the crops.. And I've asked for a BB gun for my birthday...lol I'll scare them away if I don't actually hit them...lol
Not bad for someone who used to be a city girl in England...lol

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Female Posts : 80

http://vibrantinhealth.com

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"...

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/24/2012, 9:30 pm

Three years ago, out of a 2-1/2 foot by 25 foot bed of strawberries, we were able to harvest three ripe strawberries. The chipmunks got all the others, even those still green. So my near and dear set out to save our crop: he found a place under the deck where the 'munks (aka rats of fancy coats) were wont to travel, and he baited a couple of rat traps with seeds and peanut butter. By fall, he'd eliminated 53 chipmunks and several mice. The next year, we had a decent strawberry harvest, and 'munk catches were significantly lower than previous. Ya do what ya gotta do. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 1/24/2012, 10:03 pm

Good to know the traps worked... I've been planning to get mousetraps and rat traps for the shed cos we know that we have mice and chipmunks and squirrels in there too... they used to steal the chicken food.... I had a cat that used to sit in the middle of the run, and you could see him thinking, "I am a tree, I am a tree"....lol ...he never moved a whisker until a chipmunk or squirrel got too close and bam... the critter was gone....lol Then he was back to imitating a tree again....lol
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/24/2012, 10:29 pm

AranMC, love your description of the cat! Would love to have such a fearsome small predator. Alas, too many coyotes too close to the house to let our cats out. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 1/25/2012, 10:55 am

Nonna, unfortunately Mr Bojangles is no longer with us, only in spirit... Last August we had 14 rescue cats, then they opened the new bypass half a mile away from where we are, the road itself is not a problem. The problem is that so much of the woodlands has been blown up, removed, and diverted that the prey and predators have had to find new routes and hiding places. We now have a Fisher that regards us as the Mcdonald's of South River.
We lost Jade my 10 month old Blue Russian rescue, we hoped she'd found a new home. Then a week later Mr Bojangles the tree thinking cat, he just didn't come home one night. Then Tabby the week after that and her brother Thomas the following night. We heard nothing, there were no signs of fights or scuffles... they simply disappeared.

Then a month later, a neighbour had just let her cat out for it's last pee of the night when she heard a scuffling and a squalling on her front porch. Her cat was gone. We found the tracks next morning, they were Fisher tracks.

Luckily the winter arrived and the cats refuse to go out in the snow so they're safe for now. It is going to be difficult in the warmer months because our cats are outdoor cats in summer.

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/25/2012, 1:26 pm

Oh, Aran, I'm so sorry. It's so hurtful to lose a four-foot friend. Our youngest cat, a rescue I named Mimsey, is today at the vet getting spayed...surprisingly expensive on top of getting her healthy to begin with! Defiinitely an all-inside cat--I balk at providing expensive coyote food to the pack that hangs around here. A fisher, huh; I've never seen one in the wild. Probably some law against turning it into a fur coller, I'd guess. Here in Oregon, one is justified in removing predators that threaten, or injure, livestock or livestock protectors, like dogs. Hmmmm? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 1/25/2012, 1:47 pm

Oh yes, we're allowed to permanently remove them if they're a nuisance... It's just getting the beggars... I've been setting the trap every day and night...
I've seen one from 3 ft away... If you've never seen a Fisher just picture a Weasel, a 3ft Weasel it is... beautiful coat, fantastic tail and pure evil... No fear of anything or anyone.
In 2007 it was 5-30am and we'd just let the cats out when there was a horrible squealing... the Fisher had caught one of our cats, just at the bottom of our outside steps, it had hold of him at the base of the skull...That's where they aim for... long story short we tried to get close enough to kill it, but it finally ran off before we could and we had to put the cat down because it was brain damaged... But the amazing thing was, it had no fear of us, it stood there with my cats head in its mouth and just stared as if I was disturbing its breakfast and should get lost...

A Fisher can bring down a deer very easily...
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 3/2/2012, 8:04 am

Might not be a bad idea to invest in something other than a trap for your not so neighborly neighbor.. Like say something in the "smith and wesson", "marlin", "mossberg", or "winchester" persuasion Twisted Evil ....
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/2/2012, 8:20 am

ksbmom wrote: We also have a chicken coop in the yard and have had problems in the past with 'coons. Hope nobody squeamish is still reading.....my husband traps them and then they go for a little swim in the pond....after a few minutes, he pulls the rope in and voila! No more problem!

We really have a problem with a family of raccoons that decimated newly laid sod last year, to the point it all had to be removed because it died. They also had a field day in our apple tree, and got about $1000 worth of koi in our pond. Sad

So... I'm wondering what sort of trap did you use, and how was it set up so they actually were trapped? We have a large hav-a-hart trap, but it seems they can grab the bait without going all the way in, so when it springs, they just back out because their rear end isn't trapped. Someone that traps 'coons and other vermin for a living suggested setting the baited trap on it's end, which I intend to try this year.

We're also trying to figure out how to safeguard the pond before we buy new fish.
If I had a gun, I'd shoot the blasted things.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuxdad 3/2/2012, 8:37 am

Might wanna think about snares and such as well.. When we first moved into our new place my beloved thought the squirrels were "SOOO CUTE", running around and such .. Once they started digging up the bulbs, the "cuteness" went away.. Was then told by her to "Get'em ! I don't care how, but get'em !!".... So snaring, havaharts, and airguns were employed, and the populous was thinned down by about 12, which made the surviving bulbs and plants happy I'm sure... My beloved was happy as well...Twisted Evil
Tuxdad
Tuxdad

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/2/2012, 8:51 am

For your pond you may want to use plastic netting made for pond protection, a good pond supply store will have it. It lays on the surface of the water and you really can't see it. It attaches to the ground with U pins, cover with soil or mulch. Worked well against whatever was eating my fish.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Empty pond netting for the blinkin' 'coons

Post  curio 3/2/2012, 8:53 am

we've looked at that, but will need to figure out how to anchor it since our inground pond is surrounded by large rocks, making the fastening somewhat problematic. I still think that might be one of our best options, after we make a design change at one end that may have given them a shallow "fishing pier".

Thanks Smile
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 3/2/2012, 7:03 pm

We used a live trap, that's what they're sold as... you're supposed to trap the suckers then take them somewhere and let them go... ha!
We caught a nice big coon in our live trap, one that had been bothering our chickens.. that coon got 'permanently relocated'...lol

Very Happy

Aran
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/3/2012, 2:33 am

I hope you ate 'em. I was raised you kill'em you eat 'em. Coons can be tricky to clean they have these scent glands along the back but if you do it right they are some good eat'n.Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 3/3/2012, 12:02 pm

Nope, not learned how to do that yet.. Considering the fact that when I came over in 2003 I was a big city gal.. I'm doing okay...I can shoot a 22 but a shotgun near takes my hand off with the kickback... I have small hands and can barely hold the darn thing...lol
If the cats catch a squirrel or a Chipmunk I'll practice skinning on those first then graduate up to bigger stuff...lol
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 3/3/2012, 12:22 pm

where i live here in michigan, we pretty much have just bout every type of critter. i've wittnessed deer walk within 15 feet of my table tops an not even give them a second look. never seen a skunk,possem or coon in or near the garden, squirrels on the other hand are like the marading hun around here. if i dont put out a cob of dried corn and some peanuts for them. they are constantly tryin to eat the bird seed i put out for the birds. two years ago one spent ten minutes tryin to get a ear of corn thru the garden fence. last year one chewed off a giant sunflower head draged it off to a pine tree. to eat. so this year we noticed we have a (blonde) squirrel. ifin i ever find the flippin camara i'll post some pics. long story short the (otherhalf) likes watchin the critters so much that nuttin will end up in a pot in this house.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/4/2012, 12:18 am

AranMC wrote:Nope, not learned how to do that yet.. Considering the fact that when I came over in 2003 I was a big city gal.. I'm doing okay...I can shoot a 22 but a shotgun near takes my hand off with the kickback... I have small hands and can barely hold the darn thing...lol
If the cats catch a squirrel or a Chipmunk I'll practice skinning on those first then graduate up to bigger stuff...lol
there is a pretty good vid on youtube on coon cleaning.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/4/2012, 3:21 am

i feel like I should add, I eat very little meat these days due to my feelings about the factory farming industry. I guess I am kind of a hugger, however IMHO it is kinder to eat game animals that have at least lived a natural life. Pigs most of all they are wrecking havok here in Florida. We also have these great crabs called stone crabs. You catch them snap off one claw it grows back in a year, amazing! we get this delicious meat and the crabs keep their lives. Talk about a renewable resource.Wink
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Not for the squeemish or the "huggers"... - Page 2 Empty snapping off claws of stone crabs

Post  james lujack 3/4/2012, 8:20 am

does it hurt the crab very much when one "snaps off " a stnoe crab's claw? I bet it hurts like hell! I inject 200 mgs of lidocaine into anterior of dorsal of claw and ocycotten 20 mgs. prn per os for post operative pain. jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor
james lujack

Male Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/4/2012, 8:35 am

james lujack wrote:does it hurt the crab very much when one "snaps off " a stnoe crab's claw? I bet it hurts like hell! I inject 200 mgs of lidocaine into anterior of dorsal of claw and ocycotten 20 mgs. prn per os for post operative pain. jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor

I just crack open a beer.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/4/2012, 1:35 pm

I let somebody else do it.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  AranMC 3/4/2012, 5:58 pm

funny post lol! funny post

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
rock on rock on rock on rock on rock on
AranMC
AranMC

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/5/2012, 12:36 am

james lujack wrote:does it hurt the crab very much when one "snaps off " a stnoe crab's claw? I bet it hurts like hell! I inject 200 mgs of lidocaine into anterior of dorsal of claw and ocycotten 20 mgs. prn per os for post operative pain. jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor
They don't react like it does. I think they have evolved to lose claws as a self defence like the lizards that lose their tails that then grow back. They are unique among crabs in this way as far as I know.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum