Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just discovered SFG Toplef10Just discovered SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just discovered SFG I22gcj10Just discovered SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just discovered SFG Toplef10Just discovered SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just discovered SFG I22gcj10Just discovered SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 11:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 6:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 6:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 4:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/8/2024, 12:26 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 8:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 11:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 4:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 8:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/2/2024, 12:24 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 5:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 5:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 4:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 7:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 9:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 11:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 4:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 12:16 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 2:36 pm

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 9:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just discovered SFG

5 posters

Go down

Just discovered SFG Empty Just discovered SFG

Post  luefella 3/29/2010, 2:51 am

I recently moved to a new home and have horrible dirt...rocks...etc...and it's on a slope!

I've read a lot in the forums and the website...and I have two questions.

Someone mentioned Concrete blocks....has anyone done that? Just a little afraid that the beds would get TOO hot....live in Mid-Arkansas and the summers are extremely HOT...

Question 2....how do I deal with the slope?!

Any advice would be great.....

SFG may just be the answer to my prayers!!!! Didn't have a clue how I was going to deal with trying to amend my soil enough to have a decent plot this year!!!!
luefella

Back to top Go down

Just discovered SFG Empty Retaining wall blocks

Post  sunshine0408 3/29/2010, 3:07 am

My beds are not the completely square, wooden frames everyone is posting. I cannot afford them yet. This is my second yr with sfg and I had to improvise because I was gifted 815 landscaping red concrete blocks. Each block weighs 27 pounds so I made the beds as square as possible. I think they will be able to keep the soil at a reasonable temp. I had no problem last yr but I stood the blocks up on the edge. This year I stacked the blocks 3 high so I could (dig less) and have 12"-18" of great soil to work with. I am also on a slight slope. I catch all the neighbors' water from up the hill and my property ends in a creek on that side. (bottom land). good luck. I think the concrete works fine because of its r-value. Anyone else have an opinion??
sunshine0408
sunshine0408

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Just discovered SFG Empty Re: Just discovered SFG

Post  argardener 3/29/2010, 3:25 am

Yeah! Someone else from AR. I'm in Central AR and I used cinder blocks (4x8x16 - $1.09 at Lowes) last year for my tomatoes and they did fine. I do not feel like they required anymore watering than my wood bed, but tomatoes are more heat tolerant than other crops. I have built more beds this wknd, all with cinder block. As far as the slope, you may just need to have more blocks on one side than the other to level out your bed. I built 2 55gal rain barrels last year (they are both full and we really haven't even had any rain YET) and plan to irrigate with soaker hoses.
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTNJasonF 3/29/2010, 4:12 am

Welcome the the forums.

I understand your pain on the poor soil and slope issues. In my area we have about 6 inches of poor quality soil before you hit either thick clay or plain ol rock. Square Foot Gardening is in fact a great solution to those kinds of problems.

I have 4 boxes that are 4 foot by 4 foot each. I built them out of 2 x 10 lumber and the first two I went through a ton of effort to cut out the grass and dig a level spot out of the slope. That was a bunch of work so on the last two boxes I just sat on the slope as is and filled the boxes with mix. I leveled the mix so that the mix was deeper at the low end of the slope and a little more shallow at the high end. All 4 beds worked well and I noticed no real difference in any of them.

I have no direct experience with using brick or block as a box material but I would think it should work fine. the lighter colored concrete blocks would seem to me to absorb more heat from the sun than wood boxes. They certainly could insulate a bit more but I do not see that as a huge problem.
MidTNJasonF
MidTNJasonF

Male Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Just discovered SFG Empty Blocks are OK.

Post  WardinWake 3/29/2010, 9:59 am

Luefella:

God Bless and welcome to the SFG forum. I do not know of any two Square Foot Gardens that are the same. Square, Not so Square, Round, Octagon, level, on a steep slope or in a bucket, a tower shape or a combination of all. Most of my beds are made from found lumber, most did not have straight edges when I picked them up. So don't worry if your blocks are not lined up just so. The plants do not care and will grow just fine and the blocks will prevent your mix from falling out of the bed. I am even thinking of making a bed out of irregular firewood just to be different! The best part of SFG is that it can be adapted to almost any growing condition on the earth, maybe not outside at Santa Clauses house, but you get the picture.

Have fun, raise lots of veggies and flowers and post here often. Have questions? Ask. Have answers? Post'em. Keep us informed of your successes and what could be better. We are always looking to improve this forum so let us know what we can help you with and be sure to visit your regional forum as well.

God Bless, Ward.
Forum Moderator
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down