Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Netting issues Toplef10Netting issues 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Netting issues I22gcj10Netting issues 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Netting issues Toplef10Netting issues 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Netting issues I22gcj10Netting issues 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Netting issues

+9
trukrebew
laurainwinona
petals1973
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
Furbalsmom
floyd1440
killjug
squaredeal
13 posters

Go down

Netting issues Empty Netting issues

Post  squaredeal 8/13/2011, 5:41 pm

There's been a few posts concerning trellising and whether to use nylon netting or wire fencing. I have 3 trellises (threllisi?) with nylon netting and one with horizontal netting (corn). All three of the trellises have collapsed Sad , not due to the frames, but the netting rotted (sun rot, not wet rot since we've had little rain since mid June). The horizontal is hanging in there, but I put it up later, too. I know it was rot, because one collapsed and nothing was growing on it.

I'd show a pic, but there's literally nothin' to see, except threads. I showed this to my Community garden's master gardener and she was shocked.

Anyone else having problems with their netting?
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Netting issues Empty Re: Netting issues

Post  killjug 8/13/2011, 6:08 pm

I had the same problem. My cuke pulled it down and had to replace the netting with wire and reattach the plants mid season.
killjug

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/13/2011, 7:47 pm

I am building my first trelis so I have some questions regarding the netting

1 What is the diameter of the holes in the netting?

2 Can I use nylon netting as I have deer netting that I can cut for the correct size?

3 What is the best type of netting?

Floyd
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/13/2011, 8:25 pm

Squaredeal and killjug, I am on my second year using the same nylon netting and have had no problems. Of course, in my area, we do not have extreme heat (ever), but we have had a lot of sunshine this summer and last. (Fall, Winter and Spring are another matter, lots of gray skies and lots of rain)
I hope to use my netting for another couple of years. I did bring the netting onto my covered porch for the winter, but otherwise, it had no protection.
Sorry to hear you have had such issues, no one wants their crops to fall like that.

floyd, I would not want to use deer netting for trellising. The holes in deer netting are 1 inch or less, and if any flowers or baby fruit get through the deer netting, you may have a lot of fruit strangling.
Mel recommends nylon trellis netting with 7 inch holes to allow you to get your hand all the way through for ease of caring for your plants and harvesting them too.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/13/2011, 8:59 pm

I don't use manufactured nylon netting, instead I use sisal or jute twine. There are a number of previous threads that may be helpful. I suggest use the search feature to access them. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Netting issues WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 8/14/2011, 12:24 am

Camprn - I did as you suggested, and found a photo you posted 7/2/10 of the netting you created. I think I see how you attached it up at the top (I'd say the type of knot but then would be wrong), but how did you attach the bottom ends?
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/14/2011, 12:51 am

I used a mesh re-bar type trellis that I wire twist-tied to the EMT tubing. The mesh looks like cattle panel and is available at Home Depot here, maybe nationwide. I really wanted to use nylon netting, per the book, but couldn't find any and waited too long to have it shipped to me by the time my tomatoes needed it. I am happy so far, though, with the metal mesh.

I currently have a cherry tomato, grape tomato, 3 supersteak tomato plants, and 2 cucumber vines all 8 feet tall, and all fruiting, and all using the mesh panels. Nothing leaning, nothing sagging. Steady Eddie.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/14/2011, 9:10 am

Furbalsmom

Were did you purchase that nylon netting that are 7x7? Netting issues 601593

Floyd
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  petals1973 8/15/2011, 2:10 am

I had my nets collapse because they disintegrated. I ordered mine from burpee. I also bought a 15 foot trellis from home depot & that one did the same thing. It was made by burpee too. I do have some other ones that I bought in the staking section og home depot. They are a different brand & they are all doing fine. I guess it just depends on the manufacturer.
petals1973
petals1973

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/15/2011, 2:30 am

floyd1440 wrote:Furbalsmom, Were did you purchase that nylon netting that are 7x7? Netting issues 601593
Floyd

Available here >>> SFG STORE

I bought mine last year at our local Grange Store ( like a Farm and Garden type store) Wal-Mart did not have any later this year, but I bought some there last year. This year I bought some from Bi-Mart, a locally owned store in OR and WA.

They were all nylon, 7 X 7 inch holes, 4 to 5 feet high and various packs were 10 - 15 - or 20 feet long.

This is the second year I have used this particular piece of netting. Attached to the EMT with zip-ties.

Netting issues Sugar_11
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/15/2011, 7:04 am

squaredeal wrote:Camprn - I did as you suggested, and found a photo you posted 7/2/10 of the netting you created. I think I see how you attached it up at the top (I'd say the type of knot but then would be wrong), but how did you attach the bottom ends?
With this one I screwed two pieces of old moulding to the bed one on each side of the trellis frame and did an over and under net. Tied off at the ends only, there are no knots at the top, the string just goes over the bar.
Netting issues Img_1928

For this one I ran a string from one pole to another at the base, then did the over and under weave again. I tied the string loops at the bottom to keep them in place, evenly spaced.
Netting issues Nov_0311

The cotton string I have gotten more life out of, but there was no trellis failure with the sisal twine. At the end of the season I cut down the whole mess of string and vine and compost everything.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Netting issues WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 8/15/2011, 4:08 pm

I made a trellis for the first time this year. I ordered the nylon mesh from the SFG store. So far it is holding up well, even with three watermelons and four cantaloupes hanging from it! We'll see how it goes as the fruit gets bigger. I like camprn's netting...especially that it is compostable! I may try something like that, too.
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/15/2011, 5:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I could not find that 7x7 netting at any local stores and wondered were Mel got the nylon netting he talked about in his book. Figured it would be available in one of those box stores but so far no luck.

Will try Tractor supply but if not good to know I can get it on this website.

Thanks

Floyd
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 8/15/2011, 10:54 pm

The cotton netting on one of my trellises collapsed about 2 weeks ago. It was the one I had left out all winter. I, too, couldn't find any replacement netting at 2 nurseries or 1 box store. It's just too late in the season. So I ended up buying 300 feet of nylon marine string and making my own net.

It was actually pretty easy but took a looooong time, about 3 hours. Most of that included having to separate the 7-foot 'mater vines and 3-foot cuke vines from their jumbled mess on the ground. Weaving them through was a delicate task.

I think it turned out much better than what I would have found at the store, anyway. I was able to make each line very taught and super secure to the EMT frame. Since each line is separate, I'm thinking that one failure will not ruin the whole thing. And it was so much nicer to cut my own length to tie off instead of trying to use the dinky 1" ends they give you on those pre-fab nets! Those are so frustrating! uphill and win

The real bonus, however, is that it's bright orange! It adds a nice color texture to all those green leaves. Very Happy

And I think U R A genius, Camprn! I love that you just ran the string over and under and you used the old wood. I spent WAY too much time tying off 20 strings on each top and bottom for my peas this year. All that tying and I only got ONE pea in ONE pod. dangit
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 8/16/2011, 4:34 pm

I gave up on the nylon net as mine disintegrated also last year and the year before. (picture 8 squares of cucumbers all collapsed on top of each other and then trying to harvest them in the mess of vines). I now use concrete reinforcing mesh (can buy it at your local big box store in 4 x 8 panels for less than $Cool. I cut them in half with bolt cutters and zip tied them to my trellis frames. Works like a dream. I had 75+ MPH winds this year and they didn't even move. They are a bit rusty in appearance but once they are covered with vines you can't tell! Very Happy
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/17/2011, 12:47 pm

I’ll drink to the concrete mesh idea. Over ten years ago I bought it by the 50 ft roll for tomato cages which are a dream to have. Since then several assorted trellis and different towers have been made. They do rust but none show any sign of weakening whatsoever and that rust just offers more iron for your vegetables to latch onto.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/19/2011, 8:20 pm

Now I am torn between nylon and steel mesh???? But I have a question regarding the length of the trelis to build. Mel talks about a 4 foot long span but in his book on page 162 he has a picture of an 8 foot long span. Check it out as it looks as if there is some type of support in the middle.

So the netting from this website does not hold up to well? study

Floyd
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/19/2011, 8:36 pm

If you look close, the trellis is two 4 footers next to each other. Overlapping, actually, is what I see.

I'm with westie. I happened to have on hand a bunch of concrete re-inforcing wire when I started, so that is what I have been using. It's very versatile: tomato cages, trellises of different sizes and shapes, fencing of different shapes and configurations, arches, etc.

Some folks swear by cattle or hog panels, but they are not quite as versatile because the wire is substantially heavier. And, I believe they are galvanized, if that is a consideration to you.

I"m using the nylon netting for the first time this year, 'just to see'. I don't have any comparative feedback on it yet.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/19/2011, 11:02 pm

floyd1440 wrote:Now I am torn between nylon and steel mesh????

1. But I have a question regarding the length of the trelis to build. Mel talks about a 4 foot long span but in his book on page 162 he has a picture of an 8 foot long span. Check it out as it looks as if there is some type of support in the middle.
2. So the netting from this website does not hold up to well? study

Floyd

1. If you look closely at the trellis, there are actually two 4 ft trellises that overlap by about 6 inches.

2. NO ONE said the netting from SFG Foundation Store did not hold up.

Those whose netting did not hold up purchased it elswhere.

The one person who said they used SFG Foundation Store netting said it is holding up well even with heavy crops like watermelons and cantalope, but this is the first year of use.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Netting issues Empty Re:Netting

Post  tabletopper 8/19/2011, 11:28 pm

I guess I am the only one using metal trellis......called Tomato Guard.....love it.....I still have some that I installed in 1990........just google Tomato Guard....and several companies will come up.....one surprise was Walmart ordered on their website and delivered to the closest one near customer.....to be picked up....

I have used the nylon.....for me it is too flimsy.....I use metal conduit and metal elbows....

4ft x 6ft like the book.......and attach it with zip ties..I guess they are called......

Order one and its enough for 2 trellises.......good luck......Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 8/20/2011, 10:19 am

Ok, it's time for pictures. I have the rebar-mesh. It came in perfect 4'x8' sections. I twist-tied it onto the EMT conduit frame. Nary an issue this year.

I have two 4x8's side by side and have 6 indeterminate tomatoes climbing them and 2 cucumbers completely taking everything else over.

Early season shot..

Netting issues 5781778316_1d50d1428c_z

A little better shot of the whole setup....complete with daughter goofing around...

Netting issues 5748383977_4000aa3a11_z

And, my most recent shot of the climbers. This was taken on August 4th..

Netting issues 6009567511_e4810ced21_z
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/21/2011, 6:58 pm

1 Sorry if some fealings were hurt when asking about the nylon netting as I had read on previous posts that it fell down so I assumed all Nylon netting was the same.

2 I like the fact that the nylon netting is lighter and will look nicer.

3 Still looking for some suggestions for an 8 foot span. One idea is to use 1/2 PVC pipe with a 6 foot 1/2 rebarb inside the top 8 foot PVC pipe which should be sturdy enough. I wish I could find a conduit Tee. study
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down