Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Toplef10Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves I22gcj10Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Toplef10Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves I22gcj10Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Grow Camp with HUGE plants and some diseased leaves

4 posters

Go down

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Empty Grow Camp with HUGE plants and some diseased leaves

Post  mimilenihan 8/2/2011, 6:15 pm

Hello everyone- I am experiencing some difficulty producing fruit w/ my yellow squash and my zuccini plants. The plants are huge, they have tons of flowers yet the 3 fruits that were produced only grew about 3 inches and then shriveled up. I noticed that some leaves are brown around the edges and some leaves have small white spots on them. Also I heard that plants need to be pollinated which is impossible to do with the Grow Camp as the netting prevents insects and critters inside. Any thoughts?????? or advice????
mimilenihan

Back to top Go down

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Empty Re: Grow Camp with HUGE plants and some diseased leaves

Post  Furbalsmom 8/2/2011, 6:47 pm

mimilenihan wrote:Hello everyone- I am experiencing some difficulty producing fruit w/ my yellow squash and my zuccini plants. The plants are huge, they have tons of flowers yet the 3 fruits that were produced only grew about 3 inches and then shriveled up. I noticed that some leaves are brown around the edges and some leaves have small white spots on them. Also I heard that plants need to be pollinated which is impossible to do with the Grow Camp as the netting prevents insects and critters inside. Any thoughts?????? or advice????

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves 654548 mimilenihan

We are glad to have your join our forum and hope you will enjoy it too. We have a great group of people who like to help when we can.

Perhaps some problems with your grow camp and its protective netting can be overcome with hand pollination. It sounds like your loss of baby squash could be due to lack of pollination as the female blossoms already have baby squash before the blossom opens. Pollination failure will cause the fruit to die off before maturing.

check this video on hand pollination

SQUASH POLLINATION

As to the brown leaf edges and white spots, we may be better able to help if you could post pictures.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Empty Re: Grow Camp with HUGE plants and some diseased leaves

Post  camprn 8/2/2011, 8:51 pm

Hi Mimi, I am not far from you. Welcome to the forum. Is there a way to ventilate your greenhouse? You may just have to lift the netting for you will need the pollinating insects if you want vegetables.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Grow Camp with HUGE  plants and some diseased leaves Empty Grow Camp with HUGE plants and some diseased leaves

Post  mimilenihan 8/2/2011, 8:55 pm

Hello- thank you for responding Smile Yes I can lift the netting, and as it turns out from what I have read in the last couple of hours that is exactly what I will have to do. Are squash plants the only ones that need to be pollinated? You would think that my Grow Camp would have informed me of that somewhere in the literature-lol-Well it's my 1st year with it-so I am sure I will keep on learning new things. Where are you from?
mimilenihan

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/2/2011, 9:05 pm

mimi

A rule of thumb (mostly accurate) is that any plant that makes flowers that turn into fruit or veggies, like squash, tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, eggplant, all need to be pollinated. Sometimes, the wind or bees will take care of it for you, sometimes, you need to help them out.

If there is not flower that turns into a fruit or veggie, or where you eat the flower, like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, beets, turnips, kohlrabi, artichokes, pollination is not necessary.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 8/4/2011, 1:41 am

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0611545713356.html

http://green-change.com/2009/05/20/hand-pollinating-zucchini-flowers/

First link is squash, second is zucchini. Like cucumbers, squash have male and female flowers. If you're not allowing insects in, then you will have to hand pollinate. Wind might do the job, but that's a little more hit and miss.

The female flower grows from the end of an ovary(it's not actually a fruit yet, but looks like a mini-cucumber/squash). I've never grown zucchini. but apparently they also fall under this too(male and female flowers, female will grow from an ovary that looks like a zucchini).
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down