Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
fall planting for the PNW Toplef10fall planting for the PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

fall planting for the PNW I22gcj10fall planting for the PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
fall planting for the PNW Toplef10fall planting for the PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

fall planting for the PNW I22gcj10fall planting for the PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

fall planting for the PNW

+6
shannon1
happycamper
pattipan
ModernDayBetty
boffer
FamilyGardening
10 posters

Go down

fall planting for the PNW Empty fall planting for the PNW

Post  FamilyGardening 6/18/2011, 10:14 pm

i know cyclops .....i know cyclops ....we havent even had a summer What a Face yet and im already asking about the fall..... No

since this is my second year of gardening im wondering what my next plantings will be after my spring and summer veggies are done and we head back to the colder temps......LOL.... :arrow: i know we are not even at the hot temps yet....ha ha

i was curious what you all plant and when do you start to plant them....if you use hoops again....things like that.....i havent put hoops on yet....but i want to for next spring and could install them for fall if need be Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

fall planting for the PNW Empty Re: fall planting for the PNW

Post  boffer 6/18/2011, 10:32 pm

I'm sure you'll get more detailed info from Lavender Deb and Furbalsmom, but, I've been thinking along the same line. Last year, I planted broccoli during the last week of July. They ended up freezing on the stalk in October. I cut the heads off with loppers and stuck them in the freezer. I only steamed them...they had a buttery flavor with a hint of salt, and were the best broccoli I've ever had. Time will tell if I can do it again.

This year I'll be trying lettuces and spinach under a hoop house to extend the fall season. I'll be planting them in early August.

Just the way my gardening has evolved, I have one area that is mostly for cool crops in the spring and fall, and another area 100 feet away that is mostly for warm crops. Crazy weather!

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/18/2011, 10:47 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been so excited I was looking at seeds today. I know so far I am going to start some cauliflower, lettuces, and cabbage mid August for a fall crop. I found a purple winter broccoli at rareseeds.com that grows slow through the winter and is frost hardy, I heard you can over winter parsnips here on the forum, and I'm planning on starting shallots. I'd really like to know what else to do for fall and winter.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/18/2011, 11:13 pm

krazikandiland wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. I've been so excited I was looking at seeds today. I know so far I am going to start some cauliflower, lettuces, and cabbage mid August for a fall crop. I found a purple winter broccoli at rareseeds.com that grows slow through the winter and is frost hardy, I heard you can over winter parsnips here on the forum, and I'm planning on starting shallots. I'd really like to know what else to do for fall and winter.

You could always try some dwarf pac choi (a.k.a. bok choy). Baker's Creek has those seed too. Llook under Greens, Oriental. They grow really fast too! The nice thing about growing them for a fall crop is most of the bugs that bother them are gone for the season. Here's a picture of the extra dwarf type I grew last Fall. One thing to remember -- one square equals enough for one stir fry for four. Like spinach, these cook up to 1/8 their size fresh!

fall planting for the PNW Dwarfp10

I also grew the Mizuna and Tatsoi and a dwarf green stemmed Pac Choi from http://www.reneesgarden.com/. More pictures in my forum gallery of the oriental greens, click on the little globe under my avatar.

I had greens in November!
pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 6/19/2011, 12:04 am

This is a great time to think about fall and winter crops. Rutabaga, bok choi, peas, spinach, kale, spinach-mustard, brussel sprouts, parsnips, salsify and a late crop of bush beans are what I planted for fall crops in 2010. I did enjoy having fresh salad greens in December.
The spinach, bok choi, kale and spinach-mustard I had under hoops and they survived the rain and cold weather we had in November (about 4-5 days that didn't go above freezing 18-28 degrees). Cutworms started munching them just after Christmas and I put the chicken tractor on the bed and gave them the cutworms and the rest of the greens!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/19/2011, 3:38 am

Very Happy great response!!

thank you Smile

while being in the garden and noticing our spinach looks like its about to bolt.....I started to think about what I should plant next is those squares.....I also have two wine barrels that have potatoes growing since march 15th that I hope are going to flower soon and die off so we are able to get to those yummy potatoes that I hope are growing under all that green......my broc's and cali's are growing bigger (no sign of heads yet).....after we harvest them....I will have several more squares to fill.........

can I plant onions and carrots anytime?

hugs
rose.......out in the garden at 11pm with hubby installing another trellis for our sweet peas, because they are almost 7ft tall affraid
really need to rethink the sweet pea's for next year.....who knew albino
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/19/2011, 3:55 am

Rose,
I think now is the time to start planning the fall garden. In fact we are on the same wave length as that is the topic of my C&T South regional July update. I am extra excited as this will be the first year I have done it. Our planting dates are worlds apart but I think the vegie choices are simmular.
There are some vegies that need frost and even freezing weather to taste their best. Parsnips come to mind. It is not recomended for me to grow them here as it is not cold enough for long enough to get the sweetness that freezing produces Sad . Carrots, cabage, and brussel sprouts all taste better after a nip of frost. I will be looking forward to growing lettuce, beets, kolrobi, and assorted greens.
I am looking forward to hearing what your fall garden plan is.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 6/19/2011, 4:57 am

Also Leeks, Kale, Fennel, Black Spanish Round Radishes and Garlic.

I need to get some more carrots in soon and more of what we call Spring onions (variety White Lisbon) but you might call them scallions or green onions which are sold in little bunches.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/19/2011, 11:42 am

pattipan wrote:You could always try some dwarf pac choi (a.k.a. bok choy). Baker's Creek has those seed too.
pattipan

Thanks! They were in my wish list on Baker's Creek, I couldn't decide weather or not to buy them, you made the decision easier. My order is in at Baker's Creek! I also added Rapini Broccoli and ended up with three different kinds of cabbage... I always over do it!! Additionally they are going to start selling garlic too, exciting! I forgot about garlic for the fall!

FamilyGardening I don't know if it's only some types to potatoes but I know with at least some you can pull up the potatoes and take some out and enjoy them without hurting the plant. We have a family friend who does that with red potatoes and my potato seed boxes says you can do that with early potatoes. I'm a newbie so we should get someone who's done it to confirm.

And for everyone I found this helpful website to help with when to plant fall veggies http://www.humeseeds.com/falwint.htm.

So on the list of over wintering veggies are parsnips, garlic, and shallots. Is there anything else you can leave in the ground to pull up next spring?
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/19/2011, 11:58 am

krazikandiland wrote:So on the list of over wintering veggies are parsnips, garlic, and shallots. Is there anything else you can leave in the ground to pull up next spring?
potatoes, carrots, beets, and brussel sprouts

Here's Territorial Seed's (Oregon based) guide for winter planting
http://cdn.territorialseed.com/images/winter_chart.jpg
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/19/2011, 12:31 pm

Thanks Boffer! Printed and added it to my journal!
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 6/19/2011, 4:58 pm

I will be planting a ton of egyptian onions this fall...Joe and I have discoved we love them. So much better than a green onion and more prolific. Here in my climate anyway. I need a whole 4X4 of these things.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 6/20/2011, 1:27 pm

krazikandiland wrote:
FamilyGardening I don't know if it's only some types to potatoes but I know with at least some you can pull up the potatoes and take some out and enjoy them without hurting the plant. We have a family friend who does that with red potatoes and my potato seed boxes says you can do that with early potatoes. I'm a newbie so we should get someone who's done it to confirm.

Yes, you can put your hand in and "firkle", the *technical* term for the traditional old English practice of fishing around feeling for a spud to pull out. Fine to firkle for earlies and maincrop too.

Here we lift maincrop varieties when they have done growing as much as they will do before the frost and store the crop in the dry. I hear it ain't much fun for the grow-in-the-soil people to have to try to dig frozen soil Shocked
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/21/2011, 9:15 am

You would think I know these things myself by now, but I just use this chart from TSC.
Winter Gardening Means Summer Planting

I just received my winter catalogue and found this chart in the front cover.

Deborah...yes, it finally came!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/24/2011, 1:54 am

Hey Debs, what zone is that for?
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/24/2011, 10:53 am

shannon1 wrote:Hey Debs, what zone is that for?

Not really sure... FBmom? I think it is a 4something than skips to the 7's and 8's.
All I know for sure is that it is the Maritime North West which is Lower Western BC and Victoria, Western Washington and Oregon and the Eureka area of California. Mileage may vary.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/25/2011, 1:08 am

Thanks
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/26/2011, 2:53 pm

Rose,

Here is a publication from Oregon Extension Service that discusses Fall and Winter planting as well as types of protection for gardening in the Pacific Northwest FALL AND WINTER PLANTING
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/26/2011, 3:17 pm

Here is a monthly planning guide from Mother Earth News specific to the Pacific Northwest, however, there are so many climates with in the PNW, you might want to check with your local Extension Service for more specific information.

What to Plant When in the PNW
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum