Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Toplef10Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) I22gcj10Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Toplef10Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) I22gcj10Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville)

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Empty Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville)

Post  jhayford 6/17/2011, 10:22 pm

Hello everyone. I bought Mel's book several weeks ago after deciding to try to live off my land. I am using found and drastically on sale materials to build my boxes because my goal is to be able to still stay home with my homeschooled kids as a single stay at home mom. This years goal is to get as many boxes on the ground and full from the pile of cinder blocks I have had in the backyard for 5 years. They make a perfect 4 foot square if you place them right. I have made a "dream plan" that I hope to have on the ground in the next 3 years. Ultimately I want to be able to buy very little from the store in terms of food. I even found a great recipe for bulk pizza sauce that freezes. I will look for it and place the link in the recipe section. I have little spare time and limitations phyisically but I roped my bf into helping me. He works full time so everynight I have him do something. Next year I hope to buy 4 kids (goats) from the neighbor down the street for milk and meat. Move onto larger animals after that. There is a lot of bartering here in TN expecially in my "neighborhood" as everyone is some kind of farmer or gardener.

I am so glad to find the square foot gardening because I was dreading plowing again. You wouldn't believe the amount of weeds when you use row gardening.

Sorry I rambled. I got half a box full today after finding the vermeculite finally. I put it in the db. But it took me about 2 months to find it.

This year I only plan on growing herbs and quick growing salad stuff because I am a little later for a lot of things.

THanks for listening
Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Empty Re: Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville)

Post  Mamachibi 6/18/2011, 9:35 am

Hey Jennifer! Just a little down the road from you here, my son goes to Cumberland! Envious of your plans, the "front and back 40" sound cool, and goats are a hoot. Hubby said I'd be seeing the shining face of a divorce lawyer before chickens in my backyard. Sad But I can dream! Wink
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Empty Re: Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville)

Post  Kelejan 6/18/2011, 9:49 am

[quote="jhayford"] Next year I hope to buy 4 kids (goats) from the neighbor down the street for milk and meat. (unquote)

I am so glad you clarified that. But I am sure you could get them (the kids) for free if you ask nicely,

Your idea sounds great and it will get better each year. You bf I am sure will appreciate the results and kudos to him for supporting you. (Do treat him nicely and give him a day off now and then). Your children will benefit so very much, you are doing a great thing for them.

All the best, Jennifer.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Empty Chickens

Post  jhayford 6/18/2011, 10:56 am

Mamachibi

Google Chicken Tractors they keep the stink way down and the chickens or ginneas (i prefer these) will keep the tick population down and also make the eggs taste much better. You can make a tractor's for 4 -24 chickens or more but the would be a semi I gather lol. You can make them out of found stuff to. Old bike wheels and scraps of lumber.

And my bf is wonderful. He helps me a lot and then gets his day at the range almost once a week. That is his chocolate. I hope to talk him into deer hunting in the back yard this next season. Next year I have to figure out canning lol. But I don't want to think about that now because I will obsess over it. Right now I have three obsesions homeschooling 2 kids high school and middle school, teaching my autistic 7 year old not to be afraid to sit on the potty, and gardening. I think that is enough. BTW high school is not easy to homeschool ever with a college degree lol. Did you know they still have to learn geometry geesh (just kidding I just hate it).

Jennifer What a Face
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 6/18/2011, 2:50 pm

Oh, it's not the stink, it's the neighbors. We're in a housing development that doesn't even allow edibles "within view of another homeowner." Rolling Eyes He doesn't let me hang out laundry anymore and I just now (after living here 5 years) got approval for four SFG boxes in the back yard!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Hello from Lebanon (near Nashville) Empty chickens

Post  jhayford 6/18/2011, 4:29 pm

Oh i see. That is why I left California....too many people in your business. lol Well eggs are cheap at good ol wally world amd Aldi's has them for like 39 cents i think
Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 6/18/2011, 4:37 pm

I get my eggs (and meat and "pet milk") from West Wind Farms. They deliver to the East Nashville Farmers Market and have good quality, safe food.

PS - we are also ex-Californians!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum