Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Toplef10Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  I22gcj10Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Toplef10Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  I22gcj10Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?

4 posters

Go down

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Empty Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?

Post  Tbites 6/10/2011, 7:46 am

Good morning,

After finding out that a lot of the composts I used had LOTS of peat moss, I've been trying to find manure instead. I specifically emailed the owner of a nursery to confirm his rabbit manure was peat free. He said it's 100% pure. This morning when opening up the bags to top off my boxes, it seemed really light... too light. Bag says 100% dried and sifted rabbit manure. BUT, after speaking with another company rep from whom I bought cow and sheep "manure", I was informed that by law... they only have to have 60% manure in the product to call it MANURE... and that ".... it could contain up to 40% peat moss" despite being labeled as pure manure.

So... if anyone has dried and sifted rabbit manure, is this what yours looks like ? [img]Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Garde115[/img]

Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Empty Re: Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?

Post  westie42 6/10/2011, 9:50 am

I don't raise rabbits, MISS M in here is the rabbit lady. Your picture does remind me of the real thing. Each fall I walk 1/2 mile into a preserve to an animal display area to dig out load a couple 5gal pails of it and lug them back to my car. That has taught me quite well what it looks like and yours looks authentic. Don't think both the guy and the bag could get by for long saying 100% if it is not. If the light brown tone is consistent thru out the bag and no amount of material not of the same consistency is present you should have the real deal. There naturally could be a few small pieces of straw or other bedding material in it. My rhubarb and asparagus certainly show appreciation for my efforts in getting the stuff.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?  Empty Re: Is this what your rabbit manure looks like ?

Post  quiltbea 6/10/2011, 1:39 pm

I used to have rabbits and it looks like the real deal to me.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 6/10/2011, 6:00 pm

Thanks, I'm glad to hear I have at least one peat-free source to rely on for next year.

On a side note, maybe that's the difference the Circle H Farms composted cow manure didn't say 100%... as a matter of fact... it didn't say anything else than that ... grrr.... loopholes

Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 6/10/2011, 6:34 pm

Pure, uncomposted rabbit manure (dried or not) looks like a bunch of small, dark brown balls. That is what I see every day. If you don't clean it often enough, it can get soaked with urine, in which case it forms clods on the chutes beneath the cages (I confess, this does happen to me, with it being so hot...).

If these clods were dried and broken up, perhaps it would look like that.

Sifted? I don't know exactly what that does... maybe separate hay from manure? Perhaps that breaks the manure up somewhat. I am seeing other material in there that could be hay bits. As long as there isn't too much of it, it should still go into the garden okay.

Rabbit manure does get very light when it is dried.

SO... I asked the good folks over at RabbitTalk what they thought, and they're saying it looks like the real thing to them. One of them even said she had had some with and without peat, and yours looks more like the stuff without peat. Very Happy

Looks like you did fine!
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tbites 6/10/2011, 6:51 pm

Again thanks for confirming... and asking your bunny friends was definitely above and beyond. Smile

rock on PEAT FREE ! PEAT FREE! rock on
Tbites
Tbites

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 6/11/2011, 2:03 am

You are quite welcome! So glad to be able to give you some good confirmation!!! Cool
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down