Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Toplef10Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. I22gcj10Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Toplef10Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. I22gcj10Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant.

+3
Goosegirl
shannon1
scmelik
7 posters

Go down

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Empty Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant.

Post  scmelik 6/9/2011, 1:50 am

okay i have a tomato plant that just has me baffled beyond belief. the other day I was out working in the garden and I noticed a tomato plant that was looking alittle rough, no big deal I thought I have 7 more plants that if I loose one its not going to make me all to sad, but I wanted to try and save him if I could. I gave him alittle extra water that night and when I came out the next morning to go to work I check on him and he had bounced back and looked great. Perfect, I fixed the problem, well when I came home from work for lunch I check on him and he was all wilted over and the stem and everything felt rubbery and soft. So I gave him another shot of water and went back to work. When I came home he was back to his strong firm self and looked as though nothing had ever been wrong. The next morning he was all wilted and soft again, so another shot of water. Lunch time came and it was strong as could be, after work, wilted and soft.

It has been doing this for the past 4 or 5 days, I don't understand it. The emotional roller-coaster that this plant is taking me on is crazy. I am thinking about just pulling him up and saying the heck with it. Anyone know whats going on?
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Empty Re: Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant.

Post  shannon1 6/9/2011, 1:58 am

I don't have a clue if the other toms are in the same box and doing fine. Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 601593
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Empty Re: Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant.

Post  scmelik 6/9/2011, 2:00 am

the other ones seem to be doing okay and so do the peppers.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 6/9/2011, 2:07 am

It is a mystery. I am sure the others here will have an idea or two. Wink
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/9/2011, 8:20 am

Is it possible it has an air pocket around its roots that could be causing the rapid drying out? Have you noticed any evidence of underground critters (or even an anthill close by) that may indicate something leaving tunnels or air space too close to the roots?

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 6/9/2011, 10:40 am

Goosegirl wrote:Is it possible it has an air pocket around its roots that could be causing the rapid drying out? Have you noticed any evidence of underground critters (or even an anthill close by) that may indicate something leaving tunnels or air space too close to the roots?

GG

I have noticed anything but I will definitely take a look and see if I can press the mix around it a bit tighter and see what happens.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 6/9/2011, 11:09 am

Here ya go same kind of thing...

Time laps Tomatoes take note of the day in the left bottom corner and the watering
note in the right bottom corner.

Enjoy the dance of the tomatoes! Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 679265
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. Empty Mater Wilting.

Post  WardinWake 6/9/2011, 11:48 am

Howdy:

When you planted the tomato was it in a peat pot? If so had the roots started breaking throgh the pot? It could be that a whole peat pot would not hold a large amount of water and the plant roots may have not reached out into the surrounding soil. Just a thought.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 6/9/2011, 11:51 am

WardinWake wrote:Howdy:

When you planted the tomato was it in a peat pot? If so had the roots started breaking throgh the pot? It could be that a whole peat pot would not hold a large amount of water and the plant roots may have not reached out into the surrounding soil. Just a thought.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

no it was grown in MM straight from my bed.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/9/2011, 12:04 pm

Funny you should mention peat pots Ward, because I was wondering if there might be a pocket of peat that didn't get broken up thoroughly that is repelling water. Didn't want to mention it as it seem far fetched, but nothing else has made sense either. Obviously, the tomato is not holding enough water at its roots to last the entire day.

My son has 1 square in one of the pond beds that repeated replantings of cantaloupe has had no germination. The rest of the bed is doing great. We call it the ALIEN BLACK HOLE. Very Happy

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  scmelik 6/9/2011, 12:06 pm

walshevak wrote:Funny you should mention peat pots Ward, because I was wondering if there might be a pocket of peat that didn't get broken up thoroughly that is repelling water. Didn't want to mention it as it seem far fetched, but nothing else has made sense either. Obviously, the tomato is not holding enough water at its roots to last the entire day.

My son has 1 square in one of the pond beds that repeated replantings of cantaloupe has had no germination. The rest of the bed is doing great. We call it the ALIEN BLACK HOLE. Very Happy

Kay

that is a very very good possibility. How do I fix it, I don't really wanna go digging around the plants roots but I wanna make sure that the plant is getting what it needs.
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/9/2011, 12:13 pm

Try soaking that square really heavy, then 20 minutes later do it again. And check out the 2 liter bottle spikes that Farmer Valerie is using. Then after the season, stir up that square really good with its trowel full of blended compost to get it ready for the next go round. If a peat pocket is the problem, that will mix it all up again. Just an opinion, not a definate solution.

You just may have to pay more attention to that plant this year.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/10/2011, 8:53 am

Here is a picture of my water stakes.
Dr. Jeckal and Mr. Hyde tomato plant. 03812

Here is where I got them, I have a store nearby, but you can order online if you dont's.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-watering-cone-set-93182.html
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down