Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Toplef10three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 I22gcj10three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Toplef10three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 I22gcj10three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Three Sisters Thursday

+37
Chopper
giant_trainer
dayhut
sanderson
Marc Iverson
gwennifer
walshevak
southern gardener
ETNRedClay
tagyourit
Dunkinjean
Turan
thegreatcob
snibb
lisaphoto
rhanford
madnicmom
Kelejan
stripesmom
middlemamma
sherryeo
westie42
Goosegirl
Furbalsmom
jcpen
capatl
AprilakaCCIL
Nonna.PapaVino
mijejo
Cynlady
boffer
petals1973
quiltbea
nancy
FamilyGardening
busygirl
FarmerValerie
41 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Empty Re: Three Sisters Thursday

Post  FarmerValerie 10/2/2011, 8:36 am

I hope you saved ALL the seeds and roasted some of them for snacks. Pumpkin seeds are good for energy.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Empty Re: Three Sisters Thursday

Post  madnicmom 10/6/2011, 11:26 pm

this is amazing! I was just telling my mom about this method tonight. I'm going to post this on my Facebook so she can see all this!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 10/12/2011, 10:41 pm

well we harvested the last of the scarlett runner *racer* beans and have them hanging up to dry.....we are saving them for seeds for next year Very Happy i have a few of them sitting next to reg green beans that we harvest today as well out of our SFG...the size differnce is amazing....

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 10_12_12

here is one of the pumpkins that we cut open and cooked and made into pies Very Happy

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 10_01_11

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 10_02_10

seeds we are saving!

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 10_01_12

the only things left in the three sisters is our butter nutt squash growing....so far its not changing colors yet....we are still hoping it will.....and one last smaller pumpkin....she is turning a nice orange....her skin is still a bit soft....so we left her in the garden.....i forgot to get a pic's today of them....we have been dealing with a lot of rain pale

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/12/2011, 11:15 pm

We have frost forecast for Friday, so my Scarlet Runner Beans will come to the end of their lives.

I cannot believe how huge the plants are, they tower over the six-foot trellis and must be overhanging at least two feet, and in only four squares.

I have had a ton of beans, I should have weighed them but did not think of it at the time. Several pounds of beans have been frozen so I will enjoy the harvest for some months to come, and in addition I have kept a friend in beans as well.

I will start cutting down the vines shortly and saving the seeds from the ones I left on, the biggest ones. I am expecting enough seeds to keep me going and also to be able to share.

Next eyar I am going to add a 90degree extension to the trellis, so that the beans can climb horizontally and I won't have to stand on a ladder to harbest them. I think it is called somethin like a "mont" frame, boffer showed a plan of it, must look it up as that is a project for the winter months, along with my potato sacks.

I enjoyed your pictures, FamilyGardening.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  capatl 11/7/2011, 8:12 pm

I thought I would share something I found while looking for ideas to teach my pre-k class, as Thanksgiving is coming up. This is one story passed through Native Americans about the Three Sisters. A sweet story...
http://www.birdclan.org/threesisters.htm

I can't wait to plant one this spring, thanks to you all for sharing your experiences!
capatl

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Empty Not exactly Thursday. . .

Post  rhanford 2/8/2012, 11:28 pm

Is it ok to plant different types of beans with this method??? How about planting squash, pumpkin, and cucumber? I just didn't know if that would mess up the pollination. I use only heirloom and open-pollinated seeds if that helps.

Thank you so much for this thread. I just spent the last hour looking over all of it. I just planted my sunflowers and the corn will go in tomorrow!!!
rhanford
rhanford

Female Posts : 26

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000615830082

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/10/2012, 1:28 pm

For those of you that did it in a SFG, what kind of spacing and inter-planting did you use and what size garden. I'm especially interested in April's 3 sisters b/c it looks like she had a lot in a small area. The biggest size garden I would use is 4x12 and I would love to have enough of each food to enjoy multiple dinners. My son's favorite food in the world is corn on the cob, so I have to grow some for him. Also, what is the best type of squash to use that would work good in this system, and also have enough time to grow before the frost (I'm in zone 6a I think, growing is usually between mid-May to mid-October)
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 6/2/2012, 12:07 am

Does anyone know where the diagram for 3 sisters is that Mel drew? I've been all over the place in here. It was a colored square schematic showing where to put everything in the square.
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thegreatcob 8/23/2012, 6:05 pm

it can befound in mel first book and mels blog i think.
thegreatcob
thegreatcob

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/11/2013, 11:34 pm

AHAH I knew I had seen a thread here on 3 sisters! Good information here.

Rose, your pictures are an inspiration. Did you do a repeat last summer?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 5/9/2013, 11:38 pm

This is the 1st time I am trying the 3 sisters garden but I did a bit of an oops!
I was supposed to plant the corn and when it grew to 6", then plant the beans next to the corn. Along with the corn I would plant the butternut squash and pumpkin.

But instead, I planted the corn and beans at the same time...oops.
I guess I was so excited and forgot the rules.... silly me
I planted butternut squash along one side with a trellis. At the two corners I planted pumpkin. I also planted some flowers.

Everything is coming up already so I just hope the corn and beans grow accordingly. Wish me luck!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit 5/31/2013, 11:25 am

I was so excited about trying the 3 sisters this year but everyday I check on the corn and more of the stalks have fallen over (or have been knocked over by animals maybe). I also noticed that when planting the beans the MM is so lose that maybe the corn is really just falling over. Anyone else have this problem?
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Empty My 4sisters

Post  ETNRedClay 5/31/2013, 1:16 pm

May 1st, May 28 & today -- I think the corn is growing every time I blink. 2 kinds of corn -- Sweet Corn & Yellow Sweet Corn (I know, but it was on sale and I'm just starting), 2 kinds of sunflowers, 8 kinds of beans (1 kind per square just to see), and 2 kinds of winter squash.

5/15
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 4siste13

5/28
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 4siste14

5/31
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 4siste15
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/31/2013, 1:25 pm

tagyourit wrote:I was so excited about trying the 3 sisters this year but everyday I check on the corn and more of the stalks have fallen over (or have been knocked over by animals maybe). I also noticed that when planting the beans the MM is so lose that maybe the corn is really just falling over. Anyone else have this problem?

Maybe do a search on corn in SFG? I seem to recall that people would support a trellis laid sideways for the corn to grow through to support it. You might put a stake in the corners and then loop some string around to hold the stalks up.
Good luck

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/31/2013, 8:01 pm

This is our third year growing a three sisters garden, this time we are growing it in our SFG box #2

Green beans on a trellis in the back....slight slug damage on the beans but we did plant some extra just in case....*hooker* corn....we planted 3 per square, a couple of squares have only 1 or 2 corns for lack of germination....left hand corner we have crook neck squash and right hand corner we have Black Beauty zucchini.....they are a tad bit yellow....I figure do to the cold wet weather we are having

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Dscf0039

Last year our children grew a three sisters in 2 wine barrels....the pumpkins did great...the Bean did well and the corn grew and we hand pollinated it ....but we only got a half of a cob to eat....tasted good though!

The first year was in ground and you can see that garden at the beginning of the thread Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/31/2013, 10:16 pm

This year I am doing my first real attempt at a 3 Sisters box - pics coming soon. 4x6, corn is up about 3 inches, acorn squash have sprouted, and in another week or so I will plant the bean seeds around the outside of the box. May the weather cooperate!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/31/2013, 10:33 pm

We are doing a two sisters garden, since we dont want the squash running in the aisles....so far so good!!

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Cornbe12
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/21/2013, 5:59 pm

I planted my beans earlier this week.  Some are starting to poke up!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/21/2013, 7:38 pm

SG your sisters look great!

GG its so exciting to see those beans pop up!

happy so far with our three sisters Smile

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 Dscf0082

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/21/2013, 7:45 pm

My 3 sisters here is Maine is still one sister for now.  Too small yet to add the beans and still undecided about a squash plant or two.
three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 06-19-11
above:  my very short corn stalks.  Sugar peas are on a trellis in the north squares.  I wound some garden twine around bamboo poles in the corners to hold the stalks upright later if needed.  I can always add another twine or two.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/21/2013, 8:23 pm

When the downpours and ThunderBumpers stop I will get a pic of the 3 Sisters!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/22/2013, 1:07 am

quiltbea your corn is so cute......I wonder if your peas could count as one of the sisters.....Very Happy

Goosegirl looking forward to your pictures Smile

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/23/2013, 4:12 pm

Here are the pics of my infant 3 Sisters Box

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 3_sist12

Here are the beans, planted less than 1 week agothree sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 3_sist13

The acorn squash

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 3_sist14

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/23/2013, 10:03 pm

Goosegirl.....Lookin' good.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/23/2013, 10:29 pm

I am loving the progress report pictures Very Happy

Here at last I can report all Four Sisters are UP! 
The winter squash (seeds from Nonna, thank you!) are in a berm behind the bed covered still.  I counted 3 adult leaves on them today Laughing  They were transplanted last week.  They are Potimorran, Australian Butter pumpkin, Pennsylvania Crookneck, Thelma Saunders Sweet Potato Acorn squash and Mountaineer.  All but Mountaineer is new to me. 
The corn is Painted Mountain flour corn and the beans are Indian Woman Yellow bean.  Across the ends of their bed I put some sunflowers and they are up too.

three sisters - Three Sisters Thursday - Page 5 13-jun16

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next