Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cilantro Toplef10Cilantro 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cilantro I22gcj10Cilantro 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cilantro Toplef10Cilantro 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cilantro I22gcj10Cilantro 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cilantro

+5
tabletopper
ModernDayBetty
westie42
yosoypanadero
altagarden
9 posters

Go down

Cilantro Empty Cilantro

Post  altagarden 6/3/2011, 12:25 am

Anyone have any luck with cilantro? I have tried seeding indoors and transplanting, as well as directly seeding outdoors and I get spindly plants about 2 inches tall. I can't believe Mel's books says they can take up a whole square!
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Cilantro Empty Re: Cilantro

Post  yosoypanadero 6/3/2011, 12:32 am

I plant mine nine per square direct from seed. I believe the plant does better this way. They like full sun and mine are in mel's mix as well and they are growing like mad. I am not trying to gloat, just observing that it can be done. What are your conditions like?
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 6/3/2011, 12:56 am

You are being helpful, not gloating.

Conditions? I am in Alberta, Canada. Short growing season. We likely just had our last frost (fingers crossed!). My first seeding out was 6 weeks ago. I tried cilantro inside this year. May try it outside this week. How long until it is ready to harvest?

On the up side, I can grow spinach in july here. That was gloating!
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/3/2011, 12:57 am

You are quite far north and even here not much seems to be growing well yet, it's just been too cool and wet. It grows like weeds here. It goes to tops so you need to start some new plants every 2-3 weeks in order to harvest it over the summer. It will start inside well but has a long tap root that you can't break off during transplant or most likely you will have nothing from that plant. Once it tops out save the seeds after the plant turns brown and looks dried. It does not like hot weather and will bolt then so growing it in bunches is fine if what you are looking for is just cilantro leaves. I have tons of it in my regular garden and let a lot of it go to seed to have it come up volunteer next year or even later in the fall it will start to sprout up. Cover it with plastic and I can harvest most way thru December here. In the spring I can eat off the volunteers very early, probably the first thing to harvest then comes my volunteer spinach ready to eat.

Last edited by westie42 on 6/3/2011, 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/3/2011, 1:00 am

Just to lift you up a bit. I tried from seed. Nothing. Happened. I bought a transplant, it looked amazing and beautiful, died within two days of me purchasing it. Oy!! Good luck!
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Cilantro Empty Re: Cilantro.....???

Post  tabletopper 6/3/2011, 1:08 am

I also have trouble with this herb.....it must like the buddy system...so I will try 9 per square ...probably they get very thirsty...always did transplants......but I will also try seeds.....tnx Ruth
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 6/3/2011, 1:09 am

I grew cilantro from seed for the first time last year. It was looking beautiful but still a bit small in July to harves. I was looking forward to being able to use some when I got back from vacation. Alas! By the time I got home a week later it was three feet tall and useless. Sad I am trying again this year.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 6/3/2011, 1:12 am

Old Hippy: You're in PG right? If you can do it I can do it. Is it too late to seed it out?

Also, I may have damaged the tap root with my transplants. That would explain the failure there. Thanks for the tips everyone.
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 6/3/2011, 1:19 am

yes I am. I am still planting some things this week so I don't think it is too late. Judging from the way it went from a couple of inches tall to 3 feet tall in a matter of a week, I don't think it is too late. It is only seeds right. It can't hurt to try. And it might even work. At least that is how I look at it.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 6/3/2011, 1:44 am

I plan to replant until mid august but my seeds are free. I have harvested about half a gallon of seeds into a jug. Not sure they have a high germination rate but I can spare plenty to sew. I also periodically go thru the seeds and select some to grind into coriander for cooking use.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  altagarden 6/3/2011, 11:41 pm

Hmm. Seems like a tricky plant. For some success, for others so-so. I know it is just seeds, but it is also a whole square! Very Happy This afternoon I planted 9 to a square and also filled some in around my struggling transplants. I'll let you know what happens.
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/4/2011, 7:54 am

I planted cilantro in the winter and in the summer. The winter was milder but in the summer it can bolt super fast but our mild summer last year helped it last. And I just added a few seeds every couple of weeks and it worked out. One of the true treats last summer was fresh cilantro, dill and basil. Do not transplant - just plant in place.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/4/2011, 8:32 am

I doubt I will ever purposely plant cilantro again - it does so well at reseeding itself and at the end of the season when I pull up the plants I just shake the plant tops with the seed heads hard in the direction of my garden and up they come the next season! If I find a pile of seeds anywhere, I just toss them throughout the garden. Now that I know that letting them bloom and go to seed is GOOD for attracting pollinators I don't feel bad about my past laziness. Pics to come soon of my volunteer cilantro.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/4/2011, 8:37 am

Your cilantro may not get tall and impressive like your parsley or like the cilantro you buy in the grocery. Mine seldom gets more than 5 inches tall, most are smaller, until it is fixen to bolt (go to seed)

I also do 9 per square. My seed comes from an organic company in the northern and western most county of Washington State (Uprising Seed). Theirs may work for you too. If it does not grow in their cool wet maritime environment they do not offer it for sale.

I clip mine as needed, leaving only 3 or 4 stems per plant. Even though it does not get tall it does produce enough for a nice salsa or chili or whatever I am making that evening. It seems to be cut and come again. At some point it will insist on going to seed. You will know it is time when it starts to make foliage that looks more like a fern frond rather than leaves. The taste will change (I personally don't like it at that stage)

Keep trying, check for bugs (do you have slugs?) like earwigs that you will only find if you go out at night with a flash light or if you set tuna cans to the rim in your garden that have water and a drop or two of bacon grease or tuna oil (not tuna water). It amazes me what goes on in the garden at night and how it can make me feel like a garden failure in the daylight.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down