Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes in SFG Toplef10Potatoes in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes in SFG I22gcj10Potatoes in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes in SFG Toplef10Potatoes in SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes in SFG I22gcj10Potatoes in SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potatoes in SFG

+14
boffer
FamilyGardening
Kelejan
Dunkinjean
kiwirose
laurainwinona
Tril
BackyardBirdGardner
flowergurl4eva
Squat_Johnson
milaneyjane
Ha-v-v
walshevak
yosoypanadero
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Potatoes in SFG Empty Potatoes in SFG

Post  yosoypanadero 6/2/2011, 5:28 pm

Is anyone else on here doing potatoes in their SFG? I have 4 4x4 boxes full of potatoes (1 per square). I have stacked a second level on them so I could add more soil and was just wondering if anyone out there was trying the same.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Potatoes in SFG Empty Re: Potatoes in SFG

Post  walshevak 6/2/2011, 5:36 pm

I put mine in rubbermaid bins with MM and straw. Last time I saw them they were growing good. I planted them 17 March. When should they start blooming? A blue variety.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/2/2011, 5:40 pm

yosoypanadero wrote:Is anyone else on here doing potatoes in their SFG? I have 4 4x4 boxes full of potatoes (1 per square). I have stacked a second level on them so I could add more soil and was just wondering if anyone out there was trying the same.

I am so crazy Smile I am trying the same thing with 2 2x8' beds the boards are 2x8s (another crazy thing, I just went with what I started with) One bed is 5 of those boxes high and one is 3. I have decided Im wacked to try so many at once Smile lolololololol but I want to have potatoes for us so badly. I am now done putting boxes on top and going to let the plants do what they may. The only problem Im seeing is I cant see the "soil" they are in because I am using hay to "hill up". Knowing when to water is killing me, but I just watch them to see.

Potatoes in SFG 100_2110

I do hope you do well with those potatoes Smile !! Here is to you have a great harvest Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 6/2/2011, 6:13 pm

I have two 4x4 boxes that I made last year that I can add more boards too as needed. Last year I kept it at only 10 inches tall and still had a lots of potato. I have already put an additional layer of soil over the top and probably will one or two more times. Then I am adding shredded paper as the potato mulch instead of dirt.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/3/2011, 4:33 pm

I planted purple magesty, red mountain, nickola, and russett. I started them in about 2" of soil and kept covering them up until I ran out of Mels mix, about 10" I guess.

There's a row of peppers in front, but they are overwhelmed by the taters. Probably will not do that again.

Potatoes in SFG Dsc03618
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  flowergurl4eva 6/8/2011, 12:17 pm

yosoypanadero wrote:Is anyone else on here doing potatoes in their SFG? I have 4 4x4 boxes full of potatoes (1 per square). I have stacked a second level on them so I could add more soil and was just wondering if anyone out there was trying the same.

I am trying for the first time. I have the little box that sits on top of the squares. What do I do once the box is full of MM? I covered the potatoe plants and they just keep growing. They have grown up out of the box that Mel says to use. What now?
flowergurl4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/8/2011, 1:14 pm

Keep them moist, and let them grow until the tops finally turn brown. Try to time it so that the ground is somewhat dried out. Then dig them up, knock as much dirt as you can off, and let them dry somewhere out of the sun for a week. They get a harder skin, and will be good for longer storage. If you have some with defects that would make them rot more easily, eat them at that time. Monitor for rot, and enjoy.
I am told it is better to not wash them at this time, better to do that when it's time to eat.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  flowergurl4eva 6/8/2011, 1:20 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Keep them moist, and let them grow until the tops finally turn brown. Try to time it so that the ground is somewhat dried out. Then dig them up, knock as much dirt as you can off, and let them dry somewhere out of the sun for a week. They get a harder skin, and will be good for longer storage. If you have some with defects that would make them rot more easily, eat them at that time. Monitor for rot, and enjoy.
I am told it is better to not wash them at this time, better to do that when it's time to eat.

Thanks,

I was getting a lil nervous.
flowergurl4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/8/2011, 1:23 pm

I assume the rubbermaid bins have drainage holes? And, how are they performing in sunshine and warmer weather? I tried containering tomatoes one year and I think the roots just boiled from moisture and the sun's heat. But, I would grow potatoes in bins if I were able....just looking for success stories to learn from.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 6/8/2011, 1:26 pm

Just for the fun of it (and because I had extra MM) I'm growing potatoes in these...

Potatoes in SFG F96eba10

This is the description:

"The Potato Tubs by Gardman make growing your own potatoes easy and convenient without the need for a yard or garden. May be used on a patio, these tubs are made of heavy duty polyethylene and have strong seams. The carry handles make transport easy. Each tub has drainage holes and two access flaps for harvesting potatoes. Sold in a pack of 2. Size is 16" diameter x 20" tall."
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/8/2011, 2:17 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:I assume the rubbermaid bins have drainage holes? And, how are they performing in sunshine and warmer weather? I tried containering tomatoes one year and I think the roots just boiled from moisture and the sun's heat. But, I would grow potatoes in bins if I were able....just looking for success stories to learn from.

Last picture taken 5/29. On left is the bin from his house and on the right is the bin from my house that got hit by a frost. But my son says his bin is now looking more like my bin. They are not doing so good this week. Yes the bins have drainage hole. Planted in 6" of MM, hilled with straw then another layer of MM. Another hilling of straw and MM topped off the bins.

Potatoes in SFG Potato11

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 6/9/2011, 1:24 am

This is my second year growing potatoes in a SFG. I didn't bother with the extra boxes on top and still got quite a few potatoes last year. This year I planted them in half of a 4x8 made with 8in boards. We'll see how they do!
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 6/9/2011, 4:49 am

I am in the RDU area of NC - zone 7 - mine haven't flowered yet - been in since early March - did great until about 2 weeks ago now just looking pathetic - trying to decide if they have a disease or if they are struggling in these 90+ degree days. Off on vacation next week so trying to decide if I should dig up or cross my fingers and hope for the best. I have white superior and yukon gold in a sfg ~16 inches high (2 levels) which look the worst, then red pontiac in a giant tub which look pretty good still - just not as good as they did a month ago. Still crossing my fingers for a few good spuds Smile
kiwirose

Female Posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/11/2011, 9:32 pm

I am growing potatoes for the 1st time in a high rise built by my husband of 1 x 4 over part of our 4 x 4 box. I am growing Kennelbec and Fingerlings. They are growing crazy and I hope I get a good amount of potatoes.

Good luck to all of us! flower

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 6/22/2011, 3:54 am

So I went on vacation for a week. Before I went, I dug down to see what was happening at the bottom of my potatoes and my white superiors had baby potatoes - about the size of a half an egg. I got 3 and decided to leave the rest till I got home.

When we got home form vacation, the tops of my spuds looked worse than ever - even my red pontiacs look sad now, but when I started removing the dirt from my yukon golds, I found a full side delicious looking spud. And another one right next to it. Unfortunately this was late afternoon in 97 degree sunshine. I covered them back up and will harvest them ALL later on this morning when the sun comes up.

One post a while back mentioned that the early potatoes like white superior and yukons form a layer at the bottom of the boxes. This is what these seem to have done. I havent peaked at my pontiacs yet, but from what I read, they might have more potatoes higher up in the MM.

I will observe and post my results later today - now I am just wondering if my spuds did flower and I just didn't notice? I thought they were quite noticeable when they flowered - why - I have no idea because this is my first time, but for right now, I am calling them a success for this year!

Yay!
kiwirose

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 6/22/2011, 7:47 am

My potatoes are just starting to show flower buds. I'm WAY ahead traditional potato farmers here. Smile I think I've added the last of the MM for "hilling up" the plants. I'm just going to let them grow now. I'm growing in potato bags... can't wait to reach in and see what's in there!!

Potatoes in SFG Dscn4111

I need to get an updated picture of my potato bags... this was taken at least 2 weeks ago!
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/22/2011, 12:32 pm

My 4x4 potato bed looks like Squat's 3re June post so I am feeling happy about that.

The bed is actually one of my compost beds, it had partially done compost in it and I had to plant these potatoes that I had been given somewhere. Have added dried grass clippings each time I have mown the lawn.

With all the rain we have had the pot are very green. No yellowing and no flowers.
I think they are red pots.

I also have some large white ones and they are in black pots and Mel's Mix and I have keep them hilles up with more MM until they reached the top.

Can't wait to see what comes.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 6/24/2011, 6:48 am

Pictures as promised - In the bottom picture I have Yukon Gold on the right, and White Pontiac on the left. There were 6lb of each kind of spud - and I swear I never saw the plants flower. I sure am glad I went to the effort of digging all the way to the bottom of my boxes. They were all in a single layer on or near the bottom - nothing to be found higher up in the box. Happy with the harvest all the same Smile

The top pic is my sorry looking red pontiac spud plants. If they follow the same path as the yukon and white superior they plants will look almost completely dead by next week. We will be on vacation next week so I plan on harvesting them today.

Potatoes in SFG Dsc_0611

Potatoes in SFG Dsc_0610

Last edited by kiwirose on 6/24/2011, 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add another picture)
kiwirose

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/24/2011, 12:25 pm

Potatoes in SFG 959632

are all those taters from that one box?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 6/24/2011, 12:40 pm

no - I harvest the spuds from that one container this morning. Each pile of potatoes in the picture is 6lb (12lb total) - they were grown in another box 3ft x 3ft roughly. I got 7.5lb of red pontiacs from the round container in the pic above. pretty happy with all three varieties of potatoes Smile heres hoping the red pontiacs are as tasty as the others bounce
kiwirose

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/24/2011, 9:43 pm

Nice looking Potatoes!! Very Happy

How will you store them?

I am growing potatoes for the 1st time this year.

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwirose 6/25/2011, 8:44 am

Thanks - I have them in a wicker basket with a lid - I have lined it with newspaper to keep them in the dark, and will store at room temp. We eat a lot of potatoes so they will only last a few weeks Smile
kiwirose

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/25/2011, 4:43 pm

Well, a few weeks ago my hubby and I dug into our potato box on the 1st level and found alot of baby potatoes (fingerling) and 3 good size kennelbec potatoes.

We took them to Washington, DC to my son's house and cooked the fingerlings up to have with breakfast. They were yummy.

Now the Fingerling plants are just about brown and dead.

Does that mean I should harvest all of them now? Do I wait until the greenery dies down completely to the soil?

The Kennelbec plants are now turning brown.

Thanks for your assistance. flower

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 7/26/2011, 3:00 pm

Potatoes in SFG Dsc03812
I dug my 19+ squares of potatoes. I did get some, but was overall
unimpressed with the deep planting method. I tried several varieties in
the bottom of a 12" bed and put about 10" of Mel's mix on top as they
grew. The potatoes were all on the bottom. Next year, 6" will do fine,
thank you. That is a lot of dirt to move, and my back can only take so
much.

Potatoes in SFG Dsc03810
from L-R, Nicola (6 squares), Russett (6 squares), Mountain Rose (3
squares), Yukon Gold (1 square) and Purple Magesty (3 squares)
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/26/2011, 3:34 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:The potatoes were all on the bottom. Next year, 6" will do fine, thank you. That is a lot of dirt to move, and my back can only take so
much.

Last year, I grew half my potatoes in six inch boxes and half in the ground. Harvest results were similar. I'm trying the same thing again this year and expect to see the same. I'm just careful to keep any exposed potatoes covered up so they don't turn green.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next