Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When are onions ready to harvest? Toplef10When are onions ready to harvest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When are onions ready to harvest? I22gcj10When are onions ready to harvest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
When are onions ready to harvest? Toplef10When are onions ready to harvest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

When are onions ready to harvest? I22gcj10When are onions ready to harvest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

When are onions ready to harvest?

5 posters

Go down

When are onions ready to harvest? Empty When are onions ready to harvest?

Post  jymarino 6/1/2011, 12:14 pm

I have lots of onions planted, I think at least 3 squares full, and some seem like they may be getting ripe. Either they are almost ripe or I need to put more MM on top of them b/c the bulbs are starting to show through the soil. Unfortunately I don't recall what kind of onions they are, I think some sort of texas yellow maybe. They aren't supposed to be small, kind of medium sized I think. Any help will be appreciated!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

When are onions ready to harvest? Empty Re: When are onions ready to harvest?

Post  unmadecastle 6/1/2011, 12:34 pm

I am new to onions this year. I do know that it is fine for onions to peek out of the soil. Mine are doing that and I have read that it is normal. I think you can pull an onion from the garden to use any time it is big enough. I remember my grandma letting the tops of her onions (the green part) fall over and turn brown before she would harvest them for storage.
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/1/2011, 12:36 pm

Thanks! The next question is what is the best way to store them? Should I put them in the fridge? In the basement in a paper bag? I certainly can't make a special root cellar for them but want to be able to have them through the winter.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/1/2011, 1:24 pm

I know it was answered, but here is more on harvesting and storing onions...

"Pull green onions anytime after the tops are 6 inches tall. Green onions become stronger in flavor with age and increasing size. They may be used for cooking when they are too strong to eat raw. Though leaves are traditionally discarded, all parts above the roots are edible.
Remove any plants that have formed flower stalks and use immediately. They do not produce good bulbs for dry storage. Harvest in late July or early August, when most of the tops have fallen over. Allow the plants to mature and the tops to fall over naturally. Breaking over the tops early interrupts growth, causing smaller bulbs that do not keep as well in storage.
Pull the mature onions in the morning and allow the bulbs to air dry in the garden until late afternoon. On especially hot, bright, sunny days, the bulb may sunburn. On days when this is likely, remove onions to a shaded location and allow them to dry thoroughly. Then, before evening dew falls, place them under dry shelter on elevated slats or screens or hang them in small bunches. Tops may be braided or tied with string before hanging. Full air circulation for 2 to 3 weeks is necessary for complete drying and curing. Keep the dry wrapper scales as intact as possible on the bulbs, as they enhance the keeping ability.
After the bulbs dry, cut the tops 1 _ to 2 inches long (at or above the narrow spot where the stem bent over), and place the bulb in dry storage with good air circulation. Do not try to store bulbs that are bruised, cut or diseased, or those with green tops or thick necks. Store under cool, dry conditions. Dry onions may keep until late winter, but check them regularly and use or discard those that begin to soften or rot."

And,

"Onions are the single most important ingredient a cook can have on hand. What versatility– choose from sweet, sharp, mild, or pungent. Because the onion family is so diverse (chives, scallions, leeks, shallots, garlic, red onions, yellow onions, and white onions), this discussion will be limited to scallions, green garden onions and mature garden onions.
Scallions and Green Onions
Scallions can be harvested any time they look tall enough to use. Gently pull or dig well below the slender white portion when the leaves are 8 to 10 inches high. True scallions have no bulb. Select healthy bright green tops that look crisp.
Green onions or spring onions are a step above scallions although the terms are often used interchangeably. They have a 1-2 inch bulb with green tops. The smaller bulbs are sweet while the larger ones are more pungent. Left in the ground longer, the bulb will develop and become larger.
Scallions and green onions are best harvested as you use them. For longer storage, rinse soil from bulbs and dry, peeling away the first layer if necessary, trim roots and store in the refrigerator for up to a week in perforated plastic bags.
Mature Onions
Mature garden onions are ready for harvesting when the green top withers, falls over and starts to turn brown. This usually happens in mid to late summer. Be sure to harvest before the fall rains, mature onions will rot quickly in cool, wet soil.
Lay mature onions in a single layer on newspaper in a warm, well ventilated place to cure for a few days. Leave undisturbed until the outer skin becomes papery and crispy dry. Select unbruised onions, rub off the stringy roots, and braid the tops. Hang in bunches or place in mesh bags and hang away from moisture. If stored in a dry cool place (50 to 60 degrees), they will keep for months."

From my favorite resource... http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/directory.cfm
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/20/2011, 10:08 pm

Onions make them sing.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

When are onions ready to harvest? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 10/20/2011, 11:26 pm

BBG quotes a source that says:

Green onions become stronger in flavor with age and increasing size. They may be used for cooking when they are too strong to eat raw. Though leaves are traditionally discarded, all parts above the roots are edible.

If they're talking about green onions/scallions (I still get confused with those two) and people usually discard the green leaves, man, are you ever missing something. Is it just a southern thing to use the greens as well as the small onion part? That's the way we've always used them in my family. If you've never tried the greens with the onions, try chopping some in scrambled eggs or an omelet. Man, that's delicious! drooling
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down