Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with first garden plan please! Toplef10Help with first garden plan please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with first garden plan please! I22gcj10Help with first garden plan please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with first garden plan please! Toplef10Help with first garden plan please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with first garden plan please! I22gcj10Help with first garden plan please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with first garden plan please!

3 posters

Go down

Help with first garden plan please! Empty Help with first garden plan please!

Post  castoral 3/26/2010, 9:22 am

This will be my first year doing a square foot garden. My husband built the boxes this week from leftover composite decking we had. We started a compost late last summer, so that is ready for making Mel's Mix this weekend with the peat moss and vermiculite I got. All ready to start seeds this weekend (I know, I'm a little late on this for zone 5b). Now I just want to double check on my garden plan. I've been doing a lot of reading about succession planting and companion planting, so hopefully I incorporated that well. Bed will run north/south and get full sun.

First 4'x4' box:
1st 9x9 squares will be 2 summer squash plants in the middle with carrots and lettuce as the border around it - that way the carrots and lettuce can be harvested just as the squash plant takes over their space
Top right - garlic
2nd row, all the way to the right - more carrots
3rd row, all the way to right - eggplant (staked)
Bottom row (left to right) - pole beans, pole beans, bush beans, eggplant (there will be a trellis here on the north end of the bed)
*eggplant squares will be bordered with marigolds

Second 4'x4' bed:
1st row (left to right) - strawberries, strawberries (bordered with thyme), lettuce, lettuce
2nd row (L to R) - strawberries, strawberries, spinach, spinach
3rd row (L to R) - peas (bordered with marigolds), peas, cucumber, cucumber (bordered with dill)
TRELLIS RUNNING BETWEEN THIRD AND FOURTH ROWS
4th row (L to R) - peas (border = marigold), peas, cucumber, cucumber (border = dill)

Last box 3'x6'long:
1st row and second row (L to R) - broccoli (two squares checkboard), cabbage (two quares checkboard), cauliflower (two sqaures checkboard) - east side by broccoli is bordered by dill, west side by cauliflower is bordered by rosemary, and the south border by broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower is oregano
3rd row (L to R) - sweet onion, yellow onion, brussle sprouts, brussel sprouts, red onion, and garlic

Potatoes - I picked a few "bulbs" up at Lowes...decided I'd try them in an old plastic trash can we have lying around

Strawberries - also thought I'd try these in a bucket hanging by our deck...see which ones do the best.

Watermelon and pumpkin - going to try to grow along the back of our house. For some reason, things grow like crazy there without touching them (threw in some dying tomatoe plants and herbs there and they turned right around and flourished - who knows) - set up trellis along the brick and see what happens.

Zuchinni - our neighbors grow enough that I don't want to take up a 9 sq ft section in our garden, but I did buy the seeds. Figured I'd plant them in two large galvanized tubs we have or two large plastic tubs we have (probably 25-30 gallons in size) and set up a trellis for them on the side of the barn. They'll be on the east side of it. If it works fine, if not, no biggie.
My only two things I have left to find a spot for are the basil and cilantro (even though I know it probably won't grow well). I also need to figure out what spots will need to be planted twice (like lettuce), but as long as I can, I plan to plant the same crop again.

Finally worked out the "succession" planting part of the plan as well. From what I've read, looks like the early crops will include the lettuces (I have 3 or 4 different kinds), spinach, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and possibly the onions?

In the lettuce spots, I plan to replant lettuce again. In place of the cabbage, I plan to do kale (intersting to try something new), and the onions will be replaced with radish and collards. If the broccoli and cauliflower are indeed early harvested plants too (need to double check the seed packets), I'll be replanting those as well.

So, any CC?
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Help with first garden plan please! Empty Re: Help with first garden plan please!

Post  martha 3/26/2010, 11:35 am

Hello, Castoral! Help with first garden plan please! 61949

What is CC? Comments/criticism?

I'll have to take more time to re-read your post. At the moment my reaction is - Help with first garden plan please! Icon_scratch - this person said he or she is new???? Will you help me with my garden layout?

Welcome aboard - Martha
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Help with first garden plan please! Empty Re: Help with first garden plan please!

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 11:57 am

martha wrote:Hello, Castoral! Help with first garden plan please! 61949

I'll have to take more time to re-read your post. At the moment my reaction is - Help with first garden plan please! Icon_scratch - this person said he or she is new???? Will you help me with my garden layout?

I keep notes on plant markers and seed packets. Castoral's level of organization is waaay beyond my level of comprehension! Help with first garden plan please! Icon_wink

Welcome aboard, Castoral, thanks for the good post.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 3/26/2010, 12:00 pm

Haha! You guys are cracking me up! I'm an organization freak by nature....I work full time, help with my hudband's demanding lawn and landscaping company, and have two kids under 2....I HAVE to be organized! I'm also ADD! Doesn't help!

Anyway, yes, CC means constructive criticism, haha!
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down