Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square foot placement for some other vegetables Toplef10Square foot placement for some other vegetables 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square foot placement for some other vegetables I22gcj10Square foot placement for some other vegetables 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square foot placement for some other vegetables Toplef10Square foot placement for some other vegetables 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square foot placement for some other vegetables I22gcj10Square foot placement for some other vegetables 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square foot placement for some other vegetables

+8
eyeluv2garden
Goosegirl
BackyardBirdGardner
shannon1
Furbalsmom
elliephant
GreenBlueberry
jwd6417
12 posters

Go down

Square foot placement for some other vegetables Empty Square foot placement for some other vegetables

Post  jwd6417 5/28/2011, 10:13 am

I have the book, but there are many vegetables not in it., and I'm wondering how to go about figuring how to put them in my school garden square foot beds. Includes kale, leeks, bok choy, Japanese eggplant, snow peas and snap peas, Japanese turnip, tomatillos, . Also wondering if anyone has had success growing things like butter beans, garbanzo beans and such in the upper midwest.
jwd6417

Back to top Go down

Square foot placement for some other vegetables Empty Re: Square foot placement for some other vegetables

Post  GreenBlueberry 5/28/2011, 10:31 am

I'm pretty sure eggplants and tomatillos go 1 per square. For the others, you can check what it says in the seed packet or the label. The spacing of the plants printed there will tell you how many to so per square.
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Square foot placement for some other vegetables Empty Re: Square foot placement for some other vegetables

Post  elliephant 5/28/2011, 10:40 am

Eggplant is 1 per square. Tomatillos, well, I'm growing them for the first time this year and finding them a bit troublesome. They branch like crazy and end up at least as wide at they are tall.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenBlueberry 5/28/2011, 10:45 am

I find the same with the tomatillos. I put them in a tomato cage and keep tucking the branches inside it. Added lettuce in the adjacent squares to take advantage of the shade.
GreenBlueberry
GreenBlueberry

Female Posts : 88

http://www.tableclothsandsporks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/28/2011, 3:10 pm

Mel lists vining sugar snap peas at 8 per sq, two rows of 4.

My package of "Super Sugar Snap Peas" lists 1 to 2 inches apart, another brand of the same variety lists 2 inches apart, in double rows 6 inches apart. I ended up with two rows of 6 each horizontal to the outside edge of the square(so they would reach the trellis better) Looking good so far.

My japanese eggplant are going 1 per sq ft.

Russian kale is 1 per sq ft

Check the growing instructions of your packages and using the "thin to" instructions:

10 to 12 inches apart = 1 per sq ft
8 inches apart (not in the book this is my personal calculation) divide sq in half diagonally and plant one in each half
6 inches apart = 4 per sq ft
4 inches apart = 9 per sq ft
3 inches apart = 16 per sq ft
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/29/2011, 12:25 am

Square foot placement for some other vegetables 68739 go be by the thin to spacing. Bok Choy for example comes in different sizes and are spaced differently. And Square foot placement for some other vegetables 654548 to the forum.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/29/2011, 10:41 am

Furbalsmom wrote:Check the growing instructions of your packages and using the "thin to" instructions:

8 inches apart (not in the book this is my personal calculation) divide sq in half diagonally and plant one in each half

In addition to this, the easiest way for me to remember, since I'm terrible at memorizing charts, is to do a little math...

"Divide by 12 and square it." That's all you need to remember.

6 inches on package.......6 divided by 12 is 2. 2 squared is 4. 4 per square.
3 inches on package.......3 divided by 12 is 4. 4 squared is 16. 16 per square.

The "square it" part goes hand-in-hand with "Square Foot Gardening" for my brain. One of those way will certainly stick with you, too.

Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/29/2011, 10:53 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
Furbalsmom wrote:Check the growing instructions of your packages and using the "thin to" instructions:

In addition to this, the easiest way for me to remember, since I'm terrible at memorizing charts, is to do a little math...

"Divide by 12 and square it." That's all you need to remember.

6 inches on package.......6 divided by 12 is 2. 2 squared is 4. 4 per square.
3 inches on package.......3 divided by 12 is 4. 4 squared is 16. 16 per square.

Happy Gardening!

Just to avoid confusion, I think it should be 'divide 12 by it' instead of 'divide by 12', since 6 divided by 12 is 1/2, and so on.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Square foot placement for some other vegetables Empty Thank You!

Post  eyeluv2garden 6/19/2011, 9:49 pm

I really appreciate the info on how to figure out the spacing for plants not on his list. Now that I have read it, it all seems so simple but when we were planting I was like :?:
eyeluv2garden
eyeluv2garden

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 11/28/2011, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the space information. I was getting Mad angry tring to findout how to do some things that are not very common in the square foot book. I will be able to plant much better now
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/4/2012, 8:45 pm

I know this is an old topic but I thought my question would probably fit here instead of posting a brand new one.

I understand the spacing for plants based on the square foot method and the 'thin to' distance. I have gotten a few seed packets that specify a 'thin to' distance totally different than whats in mels book. One in particular, swiss chard. Mel specifically lists swiss chard as a 4 per square plant. My seed pack says thin to 12". Big difference there. Is it simply different variety of swiss chard or do we plant some things closer than recommended due to the intensive nature of sqft gardening?
JK

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/4/2012, 9:12 pm

JK:

Going by the seed packet directions is safe. In the case of the swiss chard it COULD be a variety thing. Then again with leafy veggies, Mel has you grow several and harvest just a few of the outer leaves from each plant.

ALSO some things DO seem a little close because Mel encourages harvesting YOUNG or GOURMET size veggies. Let's take onions for instance. He has them 16 per square. This gives you a nice salad-size or 2-person onion. But I have clients who have large families who decide to plant only 9 per square because they want a big honking onion for a family-sized casserole.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Square foot placement for some other vegetables WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/4/2012, 9:18 pm

Great, thank you! Smile I wasnt sure if the seed packs were concrete guidelines or if the sqft method changed things a bit. I hope to follow the leaf harvesting mel suggests so I will go ahead and plant a little heavier than some of the packs say. All else fails I can pull a plant or two if the overall square seems to be suffering. Thanks again for the info.
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 2/5/2012, 9:34 am

Sometime when I know I'm going to do that kind of thing (harvest young, then pull as they get crowded) I will plant 5 to a square (like on dice). Then I have the middle one to leave in the longest.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/5/2012, 4:10 pm

I've planted Bright Lights Swiss chard 4 to a square. To harvest I cut out a whole plant an inch above the soil which leaves 3 behind. The cut one will regrow new leaves but in the meantime its giving needed open space for the others. Later I harvest another head as needed. You can keep cutting and regrowing 4 in that foot area.

Square foot placement for some other vegetables 06-12-11

above: in front Swiss chard on June 12th with early determinate Oregon Spring tomatoes in rear.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  JK 2/5/2012, 5:23 pm

Nice! I'll go ahead and stick with the 4/square then. Thanks for the pic, hopefully Ill be looking at something similar in a few months Smile
JK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down