Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 Toplef10Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 I22gcj10Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 Toplef10Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 I22gcj10Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone?

+77
Bickleyr
AtlantaTerry
Razed Bed
Marc Iverson
sanderson
donnainzone5
BeckieSueDalton
ralitaco
MitchHardy
CapeCoddess
ddemeo
jazzycat
Nine
JackieB999
Laydera
Cobaltkitchen
mollyhespra
Hoggar
jplee3
toledobend
Carrot-top
Momof5Js
ramarks
CCgirl75
Goosegirl
LtTawnyMadison
H_TX_2
SwampCatNana
AvaDGardner
AngelaNC
snibb
hatcherdm
yolos
wncsohn
UnderTheBlackWalnut
darin2
1airdoc
Chopper
MBC
janezee
Cincinnati
daryl.weaver
hkovach
Windsor.Parker
plantoid
bakermtb
RoOsTeR
james lujack
dhale999
westie42
shannon1
walshevak
camprn
jersh
middlemamma
teamhillbilly
tegaan
FarmerValerie
boffer
floyd1440
AprilakaCCIL
staf74
Lavender Debs
mijejo
1orangething
martha
Furbalsmom
Velvet Elvis
Barkie
FamilyGardening
Kelejan
HPartin
Unmutual
sherryeo
debo
chexmix
dizzygardener
81 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 Empty Re: Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone?

Post  dalepres 7/17/2020, 10:27 pm

camprn wrote:No,you are not missing anything, but that is the plan; Mel's Mix is just the beginning. Very Happy
I had planned on skimping on the Mel's mix in my beds and even bought a truckload of garden mix from a dirt company in Tulsa but i'll use that in other ways and plan on making Mel's mix by-the-book.  This is all just too much work to take the risk of failure for not following the proven methods.

My new strategy is to never again rake leaves or mow the lawn on my nearly 3 acres - half wooded and half open with grass.  My new plan is to harvest the leaves and harvest the lawn.  When I threw the first bits of kitchen scraps into my newly completed compost bin, I harvested a dozen mower feet of lawn and a few square feet of forest-bed leaves, putting the grass clippings over the fruit scraps and the leaves over the grass clippings.  I should be able to make all the compost I could ever use.  I may not get it quickly enough for these first couple of beds in their first year but I should never have to buy compost again, even for a large garden.
dalepres
dalepres

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone? - Page 9 Empty Re: Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone?

Post  sanderson 7/23/2020, 2:37 am

Very Happy

It will be worth it to follow the recipe. As far as your compost bin, if you have trouble finding produce, try a farmers market or grocery store for their culls. A little bit of used coffee grounds (like 10% of the volume) can be used, like from Starbucks. Also, barn manure.

Did you make a framed bin? Like 3'x3'x3'? You can make usable compost quickly (30-60 days) using the hot compost method. It states 18 days, but I found it took at least 30 days for both the hot and the cool down part. If you make 2 bins, you can turn from one bin into the other during the cooking part. A screen that fits over the wheel barrow can be made with 2"x4" and 1/4" hardware cloth.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=berkeley

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/23/2020, 5:22 pm

Hi sanderson, the 3'x3'x3' is minimal size and as the composting process ramps up the pile shrinks and you begin to lose the size of mass needed. At most composting facilities the piles are 5' high at least and the turning is dictated by time and temperature, how long at a certain temperature. If your compost piles stays at a temperature 160F or above for too long, we are not talking days but hours, the bacteria dies halting the process and the pile must cool and the process has to start all over again with a different set of bacteria. I am for composting and well made compost. I don't doubt how long it takes you to make compost, I am just questioning the quality. Here our town composts leaves, acres of them but it still takes 6 months even with windrows and the huge machine. I just don't believe the Berkeley Method makes the best compost and believe for most homeowners and backyard gardeners, the method borders on being a myth. I would rather see people start a pipeline of well made compost and if they continually compost they will have a supply, never enough but a supply. Rather than frustrate them with a method that for most is set up for failure. Here is a good source for information on the the microbiology and composting in general.

[url=https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/HomeCompost/Microbes/#:~:text=Thermophilic bacteria prefer a temperature,temperature exceeds 160oF.]https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/HomeCompost/Microbes/#:~:text=Thermophilic%20bacteria%20prefer%20a%20temperature,temperature%20exceeds%20160oF.[/url]

I know composting is a natural process but seldom if ever does any good come from rushing Mother Nature.

Last edited by Dan in Ct on 7/23/2020, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link looked messed up)
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/23/2020, 6:07 pm

The optimal temperature for compost to finish is 135ºF to 160ºF, with it maintained between 150ºF and 160ºF for several days.  I use Jora compost tumblers, and can easily get the compost up to 150ºF+, and keep it there for up to a week. The compost tumbler is able to complete compost in 30 days.

From the Washington State University Extension Office site:

"In aerobic composting proper temperature is important. Heat is released in the process. Since composting material has relatively good insulation properties, a composting mass large enough (3’ x 3’) will retain the heat of the exthermo-biological reaction and high temperatures will develop.

High temperatures are essential for destruction of pathogenic and undesirable weed seeds. Also, decomposition is more rapid in the thermophilic temperature range. The optimum temperature range is 135° -160° Fahrenheit. Since few thermophilic organisms actively carry on decomposition above 160° F, it is undesirable to have temperatures above this for extended periods.

Eggs of parasites, cysts and flies have survived in compost stacks for days when the temperature in the interior of the stack is around 135° F. Since a higher temperature can be readily maintained during a large part of the active composting period, all the material should be subjected to a temperature of at least 150° F for safety."

Full article at: http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/fundamentals/needs_temperature.htm

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4519

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/24/2020, 9:21 am

One problem I have with hot composting is most people don't have enough ingredients in an approximate ratio C:N to build a pile with the needed mass. Nor will there be the attention to temperature, moisture or aeration to keep the microbiology within the parameters for them to thrive. Secondly hot composting is an unnatural process when at this point we are trying garden in harmony with natural. The purpose of compost is to return to the earth that which we took when we harvested our produce and to create an environment for soil life to thrive. With hot composting you start off by killing all the microbiology that you are trying to increase their populations and then hoping that they return after the process is over. You pay a price for rushing Mother Nature in the off gassing of some nutrients and the need for more water not to mention the energy to turn the pile. If it didn't cost so much, I would like to send off the compost made in tumblers to be compared with compost made that is grounded and see if there is a greater diversity of microbiology in the grounded compost. Plus there is no quality standards when it comes to compost. We know it is a good soil amendment and keep using it with good results. Here is a link to Curing Compost and addresses many of my concerns about hot composting. I am not saying hot composting doesn't work, I am just saying it needs to be well monitored with diligence that most home gardeners are not ready for. I am saying there is an easier way, it just takes longer and once past the initial wait, you will have an ongoing supply of compost. The link:

https://www.soilwealth.com.au/imagesDB/news/Nov2010_ShafferCompost.pdf

When is the best time to start making compost ? A year ago but today is the second best time.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/24/2020, 5:25 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:Nor will there be the attention to temperature, moisture or aeration to keep the microbiology within the parameters for them to thrive. Secondly hot composting is an unnatural process when at this point we are trying garden in harmony with natural. The purpose of compost is to return to the earth that which we took when we harvested our produce and to create an environment for soil life to thrive. With hot composting you start off by killing all the microbiology that you are trying to increase their populations and then hoping that they return after the process is over.

Two thoughts on the theory of this, neither based on any scientific journal, but based solely on my experience over the past 6 or 7 decades.

It is the microbial life that we want in our gardens that creates the heat in the compost pile or tumbler, so it would seem that they would still be available when the compost is applied to the garden soil. The only thing I know for certain about it is the results in my own gardens. My gardens have, over the many years, turned into mostly compost and the various humus created by the decomposing process, and the gardens are very, very productive. I periodically, like 3 days ago, take soil sample from the various beds and then look at them under the microscope. All of the samples showed a very high microbial life, so I am confident in the Soil Food Web that has been built up with the homemade compost.

I am not sure that hot composting is an "unnatural" process in returning to nature what was natures.  When the tree trimmer delivers a large truck of wood chips, which includes all levels of chipped wood from dead limbs to the live branches and leaves, I have it dumped in a single pile in my back-40 area.  That pile of chips will reach a very high temperature in the middle of that pile, and the pile will gradually shrink as it decomposes. On a cool morning, it is nice to watch the steam rising from the pile. After a year or two I take the top layer off that pile of chips, and have a lot of very rich compost to use for mulching the flower and vegetable gardens. That is all done by nature without any human intervention.  Nature seems to need heat to produce that rich composted material.

It is through this process that nature grows soil. But, as I said, this is based on my personal experience and not from any studies or scientific articles. And, your mileage may vary, depending on resources, climate, etc..

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

dalepres likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dalepres 7/25/2020, 12:59 am

sanderson wrote:Very Happy

It will be worth it to follow the recipe.  As far as your compost bin, if you have trouble finding produce, try a farmers market or grocery store for their culls.  A little bit of used coffee grounds (like 10% of the volume) can be used, like from Starbucks.  Also, barn manure.

Did you make a framed bin?  Like 3'x3'x3'?  You can make usable compost quickly (30-60 days) using the hot compost method.  It states 18 days, but I found it took at least 30 days for both the hot and the cool down part.  If you make 2 bins, you can turn from one bin into the other during the cooking part.  A screen that fits over the wheel barrow can be made with 2"x4" and 1/4" hardware cloth.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=berkeley

I built one base on this video.  His is 12' total length; mine is only 9' since I couldn't get 8' cedar fence boards.  3' wide compartments seemed more manageable anyway.  

For the past couple weeks since I finished it, I've managed about 2 to 3 pounds of kitchen scraps every few days - we keep buying fruits and vegetables that I just haven't had time to use before they get bad.

The nearest town to us is 15 miles.  I go to town on Friday mornings for pickup order at Walmart and a trip to the mailbox and that's pretty much it so there's not much chance to get freebies from town but my daughter dropped off a few big  tubs of cattle manure from their ranch.  I dumped those into small piles to let them cool off and will add them to the compost bins in a few weeks.  They're 75 miles away so, even though they have all that I could ever want, we have to take it a few tubs at a time.  I might build some side boards for my tractor hauler and go get a big load in the fall.

Good idea on the screen; I'll make one over the next couple weeks and see how I'm doing with what I've got in the first bin.

dalepres
dalepres

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/25/2020, 10:11 am

That will keep you composting!  It is such a productive process of being able to turn the compost from one bin to the next as it matures.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9