Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Toplef10Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 I22gcj10Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Toplef10Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 I22gcj10Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are you seeing bees?

+128
hammock gal
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
CitizenKate
Yardslave
Cajun Cappy
NAR56
RJPugh
herblover
Windmere
dstack
slimbolen99
GardenGroupie
Amethyst42
cpl100
jrfrommd
landarch
Judy McConnell
FeedMeSeeMore
Kelejan
boffer
AtlantaMarie
recoush
jimmy cee
greatgranny
TxGramma
lyndeeloo
llama momma
grownsunshine
unit649
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
greengrass
plantoid
yolos
Lemonie
sarah465
mollyhespra
sanderson
brainchasm
Bayou Life
littlejo
southern gardener
nycquilter
lonewolfrissy
Daniel9999
cheyannarach
boog1
sfgteachers
Pollinator
FLA-girl
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
songstriss
jmsieglaff
angel1237b
LittleGardener
Frenchbean
J_in_HamiltonON
walshevak
Turan
GWN
rowena___.
hruten
moswell
Windsor.Parker
janezee
jkahn2eb
NHGardener
AprilakaCCIL
Lindacol
petals1973
pelujilla
quiltbea
sherryeo
Tbites
jazzymaddy
Goosegirl
GreenBlueberry
dizzygardener
Miss M
FarmerValerie
FamilyGardening
JakeGa
tegaan
Unmutual
staf74
middlemamma
laurainwinona
shannon1
ModernDayBetty
Nonna.PapaVino
jercarol
LaFee
happyfrog
sceleste54
Furbalsmom
Old Hippie
trukrebew
rjdudley55
WardinWake
kimbertangleknot
milaneyjane
Chopper
ander217
MeyerLemon
PeggyC
martha
littlesapphire
Shoda
flintlock28
Megan
nursekat424
Jiro
donnainzone5
kimbies
Norm
Jeff Buffington
chocolatepop
Retired Member 1
bullfrogbabe
camprn
choksaw
jjphoto
nancy
bpbdrummer
timwardell
132 posters

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next

Go down

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Empty Re: Are you seeing bees?

Post  RoOsTeR 8/8/2012, 10:59 am

Very nice Belinda! I took some pictures a couple of weeks ago of a little busy bee working his magic on my squash:
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 20120728_081218
Bees are amazing creatures and kudos to you for venturing into bee keeping!

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/8/2012, 11:48 am

songstriss wrote:A couple years ago I planted a flower which I do not remember the name of. It is growing up all over the place. I let them grow because the bees love them. I dedicated an area of my yard just for them because I really like them and so do the bees. If anyone knows the name please let me know.

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Imag1219

As you can see the bees like them.

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Imag1220

I also have another flower called a Chocolate flower. It is a yellow daisy like flower that in the morning when the sun shines on them they smell like chocolate. I love em. The bees also like them a lot too.

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Imag1221

As you can see they are in desperate need of dead heading. The plus side is that I have a ton of seeds. If anyone is interested in getting some just email me your address. That being said is it ok to put them in snack bags?
The orange flowers will soon have seeds so I can send those as well.

Nancy I received my seeds three days ago and just haven't had time to thank you for them. Thank you so much for them and for the nice note and instructions and information. I am excited to plant the orange daisy like flowers and also the chocolate flower. Ummmm, chocolate! I have just the right spots for both of them. I have an area in my back yard that I have wanted to plant some flowers and I think I will put the chocolate ones there so I can smell them when I go out in the mornings! I have one area on my side yard that I am going to switch out from grass (and weeds) to the flowers that I want to not have to water as often. In that area I can eventually get a bee hive started. I just have to get the time to do the research and my husband has a friend that we help get us up and running with a hive. I know I will end up taking care of that so I have been hesitant to add one more thing on my plate.

Thank you again for the flowers, it was also fun receiving a "real letter" instead of a bill!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 8/8/2012, 5:44 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Very nice Belinda! I took some pictures a couple of weeks ago of a little busy bee working his magic on my squash:

Bees are amazing creatures and kudos to you for venturing into bee keeping!

That's a squash bee - Peponapis - and you are fortunate to have them! Honey bees are used for fields of squash and pumpkins for pollination, and they do an excellent job, but they tend to ignore small plantings such as gardens. My squash are entirely pollinated by squash bees and bumblebees, even though I have 5 beehives within a hundred feet of my garden. The honey bees would rather go to the melons and cukes, where they do a great job.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 8/9/2012, 12:54 pm

I jus spent the past week putting vynal siding on my house hada do battle with honey bees, mud wasps, bumble bees hornets too not fun they was nun to happy when iwas closing off their ingress an egress's

Boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 8/10/2012, 4:01 am

Pollinator wrote:
LittleGardener wrote:Presently researching all the Bee-encouraging plants we could grow, and as always your helpful suggestions are invaluable. Thank you again Smile
Keep in mind there are many kinds of bees besides the familiar honey bees and bumble bees. ...
We have a little squash bee that only goes to squash blossoms. Blueberry bees like the redbud blossoms, then they come to the blueberries and huckleberries later.
The whole point is not so much to "attract bees" but to give them nest sites, good feed, water, and freedom from pesticide poisoning, so their populations will recover back to normal levels. This is a long-term program that requires some thought.
If bee populations are normal, competition will ensure that every blossom will get worked.
If they are sparse, they will only work the more attractive blossoms. In that case, planting to attract bees, may succeed in attracting the ones that are present right away from the garden veggies that you want pollinated.
Thank you for the insight, as to how many different bees exist. - In a way I'd love to have a beehive, but we won't; main reason: Zoning. So we need to contend ourselves with as you say "good feed, water, & freedom from pesticide poisoning". I refuse
to use pesticides; & by good feed you mean? besides Bee-encouraging plants. - Say a family has a greenhouse, for growing food year round. What other kinds of plants would be good to ensure at least 3 different kinds of "Bee-food" in every season?

LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2012, 6:30 am

http://www.pollinator.org/PDFs/Identifying_Native_Bees_PosterFINAL.pdf Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/31/2012, 11:38 am

I can't open this link camp. I have had a lot of pollination issues this year, my cukes especially. We have sweat bees all over right now and they hover over the barbeque grill constantly. I give them all these flowers and they want ribs Razz I don't know a lot about bees but these guys deffinately aren't interested in pollinating. Mad
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2012, 12:42 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I can't open this link camp. I have had a lot of pollination issues this year, my cukes especially. We have sweat bees all over right now and they hover over the barbeque grill constantly. I give them all these flowers and they want ribs Razz I don't know a lot about bees but these guys deffinately aren't interested in pollinating. Mad
cut and paste the link into your browser address bar. it should open. I opened it chrome and FF. Wasps and such are omnivores and will eat just about anything they can catch, flower pollen nectar or more likely other bugs and such (meat).

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/31/2012, 1:54 pm

I've had problems with my cucumber pollination as well. Don't know why they don't like my cucs?

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 8/31/2012, 3:42 pm

LittleGardener wrote:
Pollinator wrote:
LittleGardener wrote:Presently researching all the Bee-encouraging plants we could grow, and as always your helpful suggestions are invaluable. Thank you again Smile
Keep in mind there are many kinds of bees besides the familiar honey bees and bumble bees. ...
We have a little squash bee that only goes to squash blossoms. Blueberry bees like the redbud blossoms, then they come to the blueberries and huckleberries later.
The whole point is not so much to "attract bees" but to give them nest sites, good feed, water, and freedom from pesticide poisoning, so their populations will recover back to normal levels. This is a long-term program that requires some thought.
If bee populations are normal, competition will ensure that every blossom will get worked.
If they are sparse, they will only work the more attractive blossoms. In that case, planting to attract bees, may succeed in attracting the ones that are present right away from the garden veggies that you want pollinated.
Thank you for the insight, as to how many different bees exist. - In a way I'd love to have a beehive, but we won't; main reason: Zoning. So we need to contend ourselves with as you say "good feed, water, & freedom from pesticide poisoning". I refuse
to use pesticides; & by good feed you mean? besides Bee-encouraging plants. - Say a family has a greenhouse, for growing food year round. What other kinds of plants would be good to ensure at least 3 different kinds of "Bee-food" in every season?

Have you considered raising Mason Bees?

They are stingless solitary bees that are fairly easy to raise and present no zoning issues for you.

You wont get any honey out of them...but they are perfect if you want to have some extra pollinators hanging around.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 8/31/2012, 3:44 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I've had problems with my cucumber pollination as well. Don't know why they don't like my cucs?

Several species of bumblebees, as well as honeybees LOVE cukes. If the plants are healthy and producing normal flowers - it's a simply a problem of not enough bees.

You may see some bees, but if they are showing symptoms of poor pollination, they are not delivering enough grains of pollen for full pollination.

If the weather is hot, they have fewer hours to deliver that pollen before it dies or the stigma becomes unreceptive. In other words, a marginal bee population may give sufficient bee visits when the whether is perfect (fair weather at 85 degrees), and the bees can work from 8 - 4, but when the temperature goes up 10-15 degrees, and the bees can only work from 7-11, the bees can only accomplish half as many visits.

That's one reason why we want bee populations at saturation levels for optimum garden production.

Another reason is that there are many flowers that are much less attractive than cucumbers - eggplant for example - and we want enough bees so that they compete for blossoms, and every blossom gets its requisite number of visits.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 8/31/2012, 3:47 pm

Daniel9999 wrote:

They are stingless solitary bees that are fairly easy to raise and present no zoning issues for you.

You wont get any honey out of them...but they are perfect if you want to have some extra pollinators hanging around.

Keep in mind that the mason bee is a spring bee, that goes dormant for the rest of the season. Thus, they are wonderful pollinators for spring-blooming fruit, but useless for your squash, melons, cukes and other summer and fall blooming plants.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 8/31/2012, 4:09 pm

Pollinator wrote:
Daniel9999 wrote:

Keep in mind that the mason bee is a spring bee, that goes dormant for the rest of the season. Thus, they are wonderful pollinators for spring-blooming fruit, but useless for your squash, melons, cukes and other summer and fall blooming plants.

Very true.

If you want summer pollination you can raise leafcutter bees.

You can also try to raise bumble bees at home....the USDA has a great starter guide available online.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/54280500/BumbleBeeRearingGuide.pdf

Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2012, 5:22 pm

Pollinator wrote:
Daniel9999 wrote:

I never knew that. Thanks Pollinator!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/31/2012, 5:24 pm

Daniel9999 wrote:
Pollinator wrote:
Daniel9999 wrote:

Very true.

If you want summer pollination you can raise leafcutter bees.

You can also try to raise bumble bees at home....the USDA has a great starter guide available online.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/54280500/BumbleBeeRearingGuide.pdf

Or honey bees.

I think one of the most important things is to have healthy garden space that's not polluted with all sorts of things, organic and non-organic alike, that kills insects indiscriminately.

Read and follow label directions, so many folks don't bother.... Sad

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 9/1/2012, 9:47 pm

I've seen a few bees.... Some come around our pumpkin vines and pollinate the flowers there. Or they're coming around to sting me. And the occassional wasp and bumble bee.
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Female Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 Empty Seeing bees

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/1/2012, 10:54 pm

This year I interplanted cilantro and dill with other things in the square beds, and as soon as the cilantro/dill started flowering, the bees showed up. Made me wonder what the beekeepers thought when their bees made cilantro/dill-flavored honey. Definitely will plant more dill/cilantro throughout the garden next year. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 9/2/2012, 8:58 pm

The bees in my garden are so busy. You can hear them from yards away. They love all my herbs as well as veggie flowers. They also love my flowers--buddleia, calendula, monarda, yarrow, lobelia and coneflowers. They are welcomed with pleasure and seem to know that...we can share space and they leave me alone when I remind them how I love them.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/7/2012, 11:52 am

The bees have finally decided they like my cucumbers! I think most of the issues with my cucs have been climate related after going over what Pollinator has said. The bees just haven't had the proper conditions or time to do their thang. Pollination hasn't been perfect yet, but these are the first female cucs to develop all season Cool
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 20120906_132647
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 20120906_132653
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 20120906_132703
Are you seeing bees? - Page 10 20120906_132708
Sorry about the bad quality photo's. It's somewhat of a challenge taking pictures in my current condition lol tongue

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/7/2012, 12:57 pm

YAY! My cukes are thinking about getting going, they better hurry up! Went out the other day and I had enough at once to make a jar of refrigerator pickles! Hoping they do that a few more times!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/7/2012, 1:26 pm

my sunflowers are buzzing with bees. There's pollen all over the leaves too!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/7/2012, 4:23 pm

This morning, I saw a bee enjoying itself in a newly-opened male zucchini flower adjacent to a female flower!

Typically, I see at least several bees in the yard every day, although when we have a chilly night, they seem to hide in their hive.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/7/2012, 8:24 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:This morning, I saw a bee enjoying itself in a newly-opened male zucchini flower adjacent to a female flower!

Typically, I see at least several bees in the yard every day, although when we have a chilly night, they seem to hide in their hive.

Many species of male bees normally sleep in the flowers. If you open closed blossoms late in the day, you'll usually find some male squash bees, if they are around your area. They are slightly smaller than a honey bee.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/7/2012, 9:36 pm

Rooster, looks like you've got enough cukes for a jar of brine-cured dill pickles! Yum. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/7/2012, 9:46 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Rooster, looks like you've got enough cukes for a jar of brine-cured dill pickles! Yum. Nonna

Lol, Nonna I'm so happy! I've waited all summer for some darn cucumbers Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 25 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17 ... 25  Next