Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? Toplef10Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? I22gcj10Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? Toplef10Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? I22gcj10Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 1:15 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff?

+7
pattipan
WardinWake
laurainwinona
nancy
BackyardBirdGardner
Barkie
vjam5555
11 posters

Go down

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? Empty Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff?

Post  vjam5555 5/19/2011, 12:06 am

Hi Everyone,

I have a glass jar (about 1.5 gal) by my sink where I throw in all of my kitchen scraps for the compost pile. Though I line it with a plastic bag, sometimes the liquid from the scraps manages to get out of the bag and accumulates at the bottom of the jar. Stinky stuff! Is this compost tea?

Also, can old orange juice and unsweetened tea be added to the compost pile when liquid is needed? I let a little bit of both go bad, and didn't want to further waste it...but now, they're sitting on my deck in plastic milk bottles waiting for me to pour them out - somewhere. Please advise, especially about the tea... Many thanks!
vjam5555
vjam5555

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? Empty Re: Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff?

Post  Barkie 5/19/2011, 5:17 am

For the compost heap I think tea without milk is fine and the orange juice should be ok and better if you water it down.

I don't know what you put in your kitchen scrap bin or what molds and bacteria it might contain so I can't say what's safe.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff? Empty Re: Is This Compost Tea or just Yucky Stuff?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/19/2011, 9:15 am

I don't think that's "tea," but I think it's similar. The "stink" is some kind of anaearobic bacteria that isn't desired in compost. Not necessarily harmful, just not desired. That stink is generally caused by a lack of oxygen. But, the bacteria is still doing it's job....decomposing stuff.

It's obviously not ready yet. Not like fully composted scraps. But, it's likely got some nutrients in it. I wouldn't mind using the stuff myself, stink and all.

As for the stuff not being safe for you to consume, as long as you don't eat the dirt, I imagine you are fine. There is worse stuff in the dirt, for one. And, two, I don't think that's enough "juice" to hurt you....it's just such a small sample size.

I think that's what I'll call the stinky stuff.....Compost Juice. Happy Gardening!

Disclaimer: I am not a biologist. Do your research before you take anything I just said for gospel. I am only telling you why I think it's a "risk" I would have no problem taking. I don't know what's right for you.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/19/2011, 12:38 pm

Some compost bins have a catch basin underneath to collect the liquid. I would add water to it and let it sit for a little while and then use it.

And I would think the oj would be okay to add. Does it have added sugar? That would be my only concern. I throw all my tea bags into my bin, so your unsweetened tea should be fine as well.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  laurainwinona 5/20/2011, 2:30 am

I've wondered what exactly compst tea is. I discovered that the bin I put my finished compost in is not watertight. After it rains, the finished compost is waterlogged and there is dark-colored water sitting on top. I think this might be called compost tea. I have poured it off and watered my garden with it. Can't say it did anything one way or the other.

I collect scraps for composting in an old bucket, and liquid seeps out of the scraps and gets stinky sometimes in my bucket, too. I dump it and the scraps on top of my compost pile and it seems to be just fine.
laurainwinona
laurainwinona

Female Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/20/2011, 10:16 am

laurainwinona wrote:I've wondered what exactly compst tea is. I discovered that the bin I put my finished compost in is not watertight. After it rains, the finished compost is waterlogged and there is dark-colored water sitting on top. I think this might be called compost tea. I have poured it off and watered my garden with it. Can't say it did anything one way or the other.

I collect scraps for composting in an old bucket, and liquid seeps out of the scraps and gets stinky sometimes in my bucket, too. I dump it and the scraps on top of my compost pile and it seems to be just fine.
Howdy Folks:

Here is a handy link for making compost tea. You don't have to go into it this deep if you don't want to, but, it would work like a charm. Most folks that I have heard about just soak compost in a bucket until it is ready and then strain it before use. Go to the link and there is more info.

www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/recycle/​Tea/​tea1.htm

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/20/2011, 10:40 am

Ward's link wasn't complete, so I'm re-posting it here. Plus another similar web page about compost tea.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/wm/RECYCLE/Tea/tea3.htm

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/brewing-compost-tea.aspx

I left a bucket out in the rain (unintentionally) with about and inch of blended compost in it. I thought I had compost tea after the rain...but apparently the process is much more involved than I realized! Smile

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/20/2011, 4:06 pm

This is why I was asking earlier this season about compost tea. These concepts are far too involved for me to care about. And, it's yet another expense to set up with a bubbler and hoses and all that time...bla bla bla.

I like the way you guys have told me here. Ward's "easy way." I have a friend, locally, that does things the easy way and he is absolutely thrilled. He says his really stinks, but he likes that aspect because it makes him feel like it's working. His neighbors never smell it, either.

I don't mind the smell, and I love the quickness of the easier method of compost in a bucket...just add water and strain.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/20/2011, 10:50 pm

Yeah, I just started making some with a new batch of "super compost" that I mixed up (5 kinds of compost plus a few amendments). I just put it in a pillowcase in a 5 gallon bucket and ran some water through, using the pillowcase like a really big tea bag. It hasn't gotten stinky (at least not in a bad way) yet. I used it a couple of days ago, then added more water and I'll use it again tomorrow.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 7/11/2011, 8:04 pm

No need to over think the compost tea thing.

Sure, having an aquarium bubbler makes some fine compost tea, but the old pillow-case tea bag full of compost also works (I always think of Don Meredith and that sun tea commercial Very Happy)

Regarding the o.p. If it were me, I'd take that super concentrated stuff and dilute it (simply dumping it into the watering can would suffice).
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 7/11/2011, 9:04 pm

I tried to do the compost tea thing and just got a big smelly bucket of "dog repellant". That's what we called the awful mess we made as kids in a half barrel in Nana's backyard. OMG it smelled terrible! It repelled everything in a 1 mile radius I'm sure.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 7/12/2011, 9:47 am

After a couple more days it did get incredibly stinky!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/12/2011, 11:12 am

I try to use the 5 gallon bucket of compost tea about 2 days after it begins brewing. It usually doesn't stink then but even if it smells awful the plants love it. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 7/13/2011, 2:52 am

A guy who writes for a weekly garden newspaper here keeps a bag of sheep manure in one of his rainwater barrels and makes a tea of soot.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down