Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
aphids on pepper plants-help Toplef10aphids on pepper plants-help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

aphids on pepper plants-help I22gcj10aphids on pepper plants-help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
aphids on pepper plants-help Toplef10aphids on pepper plants-help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

aphids on pepper plants-help I22gcj10aphids on pepper plants-help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

aphids on pepper plants-help

+12
jmosciaro
nancy
ashort
walshevak
TheVickster
shannon1
Miss Mousie
elliephant
CindiLou
camprn
BackyardBirdGardner
tegaan
16 posters

Go down

aphids on pepper plants-help Empty aphids on pepper plants-help

Post  tegaan 5/14/2011, 3:49 pm

Hi,

Ok, pepper plants not planted but outside. They have aphids. I picked them off, but I really get creeped out by little bugs....I am itchy all over. How can I organically get rid of these things? I cannot spray with a hose they are too little (the plants). They might be on my tomatoes too I am going out to check.

I want them gone Evil or Very Mad

thanks, Kari
tegaan

Female Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

aphids on pepper plants-help Empty Re: aphids on pepper plants-help

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/14/2011, 4:38 pm

I just keep brushing them off. I actually flick them. And, I wash my hands afterwards.

However, if an outbreak develops on a larger scale, I have seen several organic insecticidal soaps on the market I won't hesitate to use.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/14/2011, 4:57 pm

If you can find some nasturtium plants, the aphids really love those. Perhaps if you planted nasturtium near the peppers, the aphids will go there. This is what we would call a trap plant. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/14/2011, 11:12 pm

I take the plant outside and spray off with the hose. Then I spray with soapy water.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/14/2011, 11:43 pm

I've used Neem Oil on them, but I think soapy water (original Ivory) has actually been the most successful.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Mousie 5/15/2011, 12:08 am

Buy some lady bugs at the nursery or local feed store. Approx. $8.95 for 1500. We released 1 package (1500) and I keep finding them in my garden......doing their job. And the rose that had the aphids, doesn't have aphids now.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Female Posts : 89
Location : Sierra Nevada Foothills, California | Sunset Zone 7

Back to top Go down

Post  tegaan 5/15/2011, 12:29 am

Hi,

will Dawn dish soap work? What is NEEM oil and where can I get it? And I don't think they have lady bugs for sale yet. I will buy some when they do go on sale.

thanks, Kari
tegaan

Female Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/15/2011, 3:25 am

NEEM I would only use as a last resort. Neem oil is manufactured by crushing and extracting oil from the fruit and seeds of the Neem tree. It will kill bees and other benifical insects.
I was out squishing aphids on my peppers just this morning. When they get to be too much I spray then with a home make potion. In a blender or food processer I wirh together 3 hot chilies, 2 cloves garlic, one small onion and a cup or 2 of water. put the mix in a jar for 2days in the frig. Strain (be careful of the chilies they bite) take the liquid pour it into a spray bottle add water 2 drops hot chillie oil and 2 drops liquid dish soap (not the greese cutting kind). Mix and spray upper and lower sides of leaves.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/15/2011, 9:42 am

tegaan wrote:Hi,

will Dawn dish soap work? What is NEEM oil and where can I get it? And I don't think they have lady bugs for sale yet. I will buy some when they do go on sale.

thanks, Kari

I think Dawn is more of a detergent than a soap. It's the "grease-cutting" kind Shannon mentioned. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/15/2011, 11:54 am

shannon1 wrote:NEEM I would only use as a last resort. Neem oil is manufactured by crushing and extracting oil from the fruit and seeds of the Neem tree. It will kill bees and other benifical insects.
I was out squishing aphids on my peppers just this morning. When they get to be too much I spray then with a home make potion. In a blender or food processer I wirh together 3 hot chilies, 2 cloves garlic, one small onion and a cup or 2 of water. put the mix in a jar for 2days in the frig. Strain (be careful of the chilies they bite) take the liquid pour it into a spray bottle add water 2 drops hot chillie oil and 2 drops liquid dish soap (not the greese cutting kind). Mix and spray upper and lower sides of leaves.

Just be careful, good insects don't like garlic!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVickster 5/25/2011, 9:29 pm

elliephant wrote:I've used Neem Oil on them, but I think soapy water (original Ivory) has actually been the most successful.

I'm having my own private battle with aphids as well. I am very 'type A' so I would LOVE more details on your Ivory concoction. Original Ivory - dish soap? Bath soap? How much? I swear I can't 'wing it' - it must be in my genes or something . . . *ha* Thanks much!
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/25/2011, 11:06 pm

Would baby shampoo work. It is very mild. I know it is recommended for cleaning oriental carpets because of the mildness.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 5/25/2011, 11:39 pm

shannon1 wrote:NEEM I would only use as a last resort. Neem oil is manufactured by crushing and extracting oil from the fruit and seeds of the Neem tree. It will kill bees and other benifical insects.

Add in some vegetable oil and a couple of drops of glue and you about nailed my recipe for "Rabit Pruf"...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/26/2011, 10:42 am

TheVickster wrote:
elliephant wrote:I've used Neem Oil on them, but I think soapy water (original Ivory) has actually been the most successful.

I'm having my own private battle with aphids as well. I am very 'type A' so I would LOVE more details on your Ivory concoction. Original Ivory - dish soap? Bath soap? How much? I swear I can't 'wing it' - it must be in my genes or something . . . *ha* Thanks much!

LOL, well, I just "wing it" so I'm afraid I can't help too much. I just put a couple of drops of plain old Ivory dish soap in a spray bottle. If I'm using a bigger pump spray (32-50 oz) I might put up to a teaspoon...not that I measure Laughing
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/26/2011, 11:21 am

I also use a few drops of Ivory dish soap. It is very gentle on the plants, which detergents aren't. It helps the concoction stick to the plants / insects. You really don't need a lot - otherwise you just get a lot of suds.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

aphids on pepper plants-help Empty ladybuggs

Post  jmosciaro 5/26/2011, 11:25 am

To qualify I am a first time gardener. However, my garden was overwhelmed with aphids a little over 3 weeks ago. I purchased some ladybugs from a local nursery and released them in the garden. the next morning there were no more aphids. now there are only a few ladybugs crawling around but I have not seen an aphid since.
jmosciaro

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/26/2011, 11:27 am

I soaked scraped off flakes of Ivory Soap in a jar of warm water. If you have an old blender you could try to speed up the dissolving. Then I more water when I put it in my spray bottle. I use a large pump spray bottle for my soap spray that I bought from the local dollar store.

Watch this video from the Bayou Gardener on making a soap-jalapeno spray. This guy is very entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlZegRslNg

I haven't used the jalapenos, but might if these flea beetles get worse on my eggplants.

Here's another good link on homemade organic mixes:

http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.html

Castile soap (it's vegetable based) supposed to be very good for insect sprays. I've been reading that the liquid kind with peppermint is good for garden and body insect repellent. Would certainly smell nice! Target supposedly carries Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap - Peppermint, I'm going to see if I can find some.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 5/26/2011, 2:24 pm

Thanks Pattipan for the Bayou gardener video. I loved him. I'm going to have look up his blog. "You might want to wash your hands before touching certain body parts" Ha! I guess so.

I have store bought insecticidal soap and I think it is too hard on the plants. I'm going to try the ivory soap/pepper concoction. Why do you think one needs to use an old blender for this stuff? Don't you think it would wash out pretty easily, after all it is soap and vegetables?

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/26/2011, 2:47 pm

HPartin wrote:Thanks Pattipan for the Bayou gardener video. I loved him. I'm going to have look up his blog. "You might want to wash your hands before touching certain body parts" Ha! I guess so.

I have store bought insecticidal soap and I think it is too hard on the plants. I'm going to try the ivory soap/pepper concoction. Why do you think one needs to use an old blender for this stuff? Don't you think it would wash out pretty easily, after all it is soap and vegetables?

Heidi

There's nothing toxic about Ivory Soap or jalapenos, but I get the feeling that Bayou Gardener likes to make other concoctions too!! My guess it that his wife put her foot down when the blender came up missing from the kitchen! What a Face

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/26/2011, 2:54 pm

I just use dishsoap if I'm patient, NEEM if I'm not feeling so patient.....

Both seem to work equally well for the aphids (on veggies and flowers), but I've been gravitating to the NEEM lately, just because of the other benefits.

I've used dishsoap on my non-edibles for years though & had good results.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  HPartin 5/30/2011, 7:55 pm

The BajouGardener makes a huge amount at one time. If one was making a gallon of soap spray how much ivory soap would she add to the water? a tablespoon? teaspoon? Would one Jalapeno be enough or should I put in 2. Does it make a difference?

I'm trying to make something that won't kill my green peppers....again Sad

Heidi
HPartin

Female Posts : 120

Back to top Go down

Post  TheVickster 5/31/2011, 8:12 pm

Well, I think I have enough to go on to experiment with the Ivory. And I love the video with the bayou gardner - might have to throw a few peppers in for good measure. *ha* Thanks to everyone for the input!
TheVickster
TheVickster

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 8/9/2011, 1:27 pm

I threw 4 hot peppers and several garlic cloves in the blender with water this morning. Last night I shredded an entire bar of Ivory with the cheese grater, and then soaked it in hot water overnight. This morning it was a goo that liquified with water.

The pepper/garlic mixture cleared the sinuses and stunk up the kitchen to the point where my wife lit several candles after coming downstairs. Not sure if used too much soap but mixed it all together and sprayed outside. My sunflower leaves look horrible and splotchy from all the aphids and other plants have leaf damage as well.

As for the blender, it cleaned out very easy. My wife didn't even question the concoction as the soap helped neutralize the earlier pepper/garlic mixture. The soap dissolves in water. The surplus concoction went into a gallon OJ container for future use.

Will post updates
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down