Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help with growing from seed indoors Toplef10Need help with growing from seed indoors 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help with growing from seed indoors I22gcj10Need help with growing from seed indoors 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need help with growing from seed indoors Toplef10Need help with growing from seed indoors 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need help with growing from seed indoors I22gcj10Need help with growing from seed indoors 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need help with growing from seed indoors

+3
ayanefan
momstitch
boffer
7 posters

Go down

Need help with growing from seed indoors Empty Need help with growing from seed indoors

Post  boffer 3/24/2010, 3:25 pm

Hi,

The topic title is not my forte. I received this PM and thought everybody could learn from the responses. Thanks

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Need help with growing from seed indoors Empty Re: Need help with growing from seed indoors

Post  momstitch 3/24/2010, 4:43 pm

I tried about a month ago to start seeds indoors and failed miserably. For one, a month ago I didn't know about using vermiculite as a seed starter and two once I turned the plant lights on, I didn't water enough. I now have started some new seeds in vermiculite just like Mel says.
When the seedling needs water do I put the containers in a bath of water and let it wick up the vermiculite or do I use a water bottle and water from the top? Which is better?
Thanks in advance,
Martha
momstitch

Back to top Go down

Need help with growing from seed indoors Empty Re: Need help with growing from seed indoors

Post  ayanefan 3/24/2010, 5:07 pm

I'd like to know also how to start seeds in vermiculite and how to add water and when. So I'm going to bump this topic back up.
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  momstitch 3/24/2010, 7:09 pm

I just did this last night according to what Mel has said in his book. Use some margarine containers, cottage cheese containers (not the large ones), sour cream containers, that sort of container. Label your containers with name of seed, date planted and how many seeds used (usually between 10-20) Drill holes in bottom of these containers and fill almost to the top with vermiculite, shake it so it is settled.. Scatter your seeds on the vermiculite and then cover with a thin covering of vermiculite. Place filled containers in a shallow pan and fill pan up with 2" lukewarm water, the vermiculite will wick the water up and turn darker when it is water soaked. Removed water containers and let excess water drain out before putting them on a heating mat. Cover with a plastic cover of some sort until the seeds germinate.
I know how to start out but as my question states I don't know what to do after that as far as watering, so I guess we'll have to wait for that answer...
Hope this helps,
Martha
momstitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/24/2010, 7:18 pm

Hi,

Sounds like you need to water from the bottom. If your sprouts get a little wilty you can give them a light misting. I think you will need to put them into larger pots pretty quickly. No food in vermiculite. Hope this helps.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/25/2010, 2:37 pm

I just moved some of my seedlings from vermiculite to soil this week. They had only their seed leaves.

I put Mels Mix in 4 pack peat pots then sat the pots in a little water until the pots and soil were wet. Then I "drilled" holes in the soil to the bottom of the pot using a sharpened pencil.

I held the sprout by its seed leaves while I gently pushed the pencil through the verm. and under the root and lifted. I used the pencil to encourage the root down the hole in the soil then pressed the soil around the root and stem. I planted the sprouts a little lower in the soil than they were in the ver as they were a tad leggy.

I sat the peat pots in wet vermiculite and will continue to keep the ver wet.

Tomorrow I'll try to post pictures of the process.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  ayanefan 3/25/2010, 4:17 pm

mckr3441 wrote:
Tomorrow I'll try to post pictures of the process.
I feel like making a video of the process and putting it up on Youtube.
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  jenny-h 3/26/2010, 7:55 am

So, I have a question about this too. I have started quite a few seeds, but used the little discs that you water and they get big. anyways, Is it ok that I've used these and not the vermiculite that Mel suggests? I started my seeds before I read that. I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I really want this to work out. Some of my seeds have really sprouted nicely! I can't wait for the weather to get warm! Unfortunately we got snow last night. I sure hope that's the last of it.
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/26/2010, 8:43 am

Hi,
Your plants should do nicely in those little peat disks. I use those for most of my plants, except lettuce. For whatever reason lettuce did better in the peat pots with starter mix. After you get your first true leaves you will need to feed the seedlings. I also have a small fan pointed at the plants. It helps to prevent damping off disease. Have fun gardening.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  titans01 3/26/2010, 4:28 pm

So I've had some seedlings growing for just under 2 weeks now and today I'm noticing what looks light mold growing across the top of the soil. Am I screwed with these plants or can they be saved by putting something on them or replanting them in different soil? I used a seed starting mix to start these.

Also I've had a Amish Paste tomato that has been up for 5 or 6 days but it's all stem. The leaves are still folded up. Is this normal and this is my first year trying to grow my own from seeds?
titans01

Male Posts : 122

http://goodgameme.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/26/2010, 6:29 pm

Hi,

I seem to have the same mold or green slim on my plants. It does not seems to be bothering the plants, so I am leaving well enough alone. I repoted some of my plants and they still seem to be fine. My tomatoes have done so well that some of them have grown into the lights. I may have to replant a few seeds, as the tops of the plants appear to have gotten cooked. Oops. This year has been plagued with odd problems. But spring is just around the corner.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Need help with growing from seed indoors Empty 4 Pack vs. 9 Pack

Post  momstitch 3/30/2010, 6:57 pm

Mel says to use a 4 pack when you are ready to move the seedlings from the vermiculite. All I can find is 9 packs will that be ok? What is the advantages and disadvantages?
momstitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down