Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
One box planted! Toplef10One box planted! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

One box planted! I22gcj10One box planted! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
One box planted! Toplef10One box planted! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

One box planted! I22gcj10One box planted! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

One box planted!

3 posters

Go down

One box planted! Empty One box planted!

Post  MSJ 5/7/2011, 11:29 pm

Well, believe it or not I finally have my spring box planted. I bought enough Mel's Mix to fill one box about a month ago and have been waiting for a nice Saturday to get things ready so that I could plant.

Today my daughter drove 100 miles to help me. She put the extenders in the sprinkler heads so they wouldn't get buried with Mel's Mix. I will adapt to drip system later but in the mean time we can gently sprinkle with a hose.

Next we raked the garden spot trying to get it level. My soil is mostly clay and when it is dried out you have to go at it with a pick- ax so it's not really level but I just wanted to get things planted before it rains tomorrow. I decided that what grows best here is weeds and rocks. I swear those things reproduce. Every year I clear the rocks out, and every year I collect a bucket full for my neighbor who uses them to mulch her flower beds. If you can't beat them, use them to mulch. My little granddaughters helped by picking up the weeds and putting them in an ice cream bucket.

Next, we put the landscape cloth down and my husband helped set the boxes out to get them positioned. We put the wire stuff under the box to be planted and started putting in the Mix. We soaked it down enough so that water pooled after each bag. When we were finished, I covered it with netting from the fabric store so that neighborhood cats couldn't use it for a littler box.

It was getting pretty hot so I decided to wait for it to cool off to plant and I sent my daughter and granddaughters home. Tonight I used some old mini-blinds held in place with rocks to make my grids. I can do it for real later. My 12 year old daughter came out to help and was impressed with how rich the soil looked. I guess it isn't really soil, is it! It was still plenty moist after a pretty hot afternoon so I'm hoping I got it wet enough.

With her help we planted two kinds of peas, beets, radishes, Romaine, head lettuce, leaf lettuce, spinach, Arugula, and micro greens. I poked the holes and she pinched and covered. Then I covered it up again with netting to keep the Quail from relocating my plants. After all the preliminary work, the actual planting took less than an hour. I know it's late to plant these things but I'm hoping if I shade them when it gets hot they will still make it.

I hope the weather doesn't get too hot too fast. Not only for my cool crops but because the whole state is on flood watch with sand bags ready. There is still plenty of snow in the mountains and if it all thaws at once, the rivers and streams can't handle all the water.

Now I can work on getting boxes ready for the summer crops. One gardening friend said she waits until Memorial Day to plant because we can still have frost or snow, so I have a couple more weeks. One year I didn't plant until July and I still had a harvest. If I keep the ground wet, stuff will grow even in regular dirt. I will be interested to see how things do with the Mel's Mix.

Time to put my feet up and rest!
MSJ

Back to top Go down

One box planted! Empty Re: One box planted!

Post  shannon1 5/8/2011, 2:27 am

Well done cheers , what great daughters you have.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/8/2011, 2:31 am

Congratulations on a job well done. One box planted! 593714

Getting the first box in is an accomplishment, and now that you have practice, the summer boxes will be even easier.
Nice to have family that can help you get going.

Hopefully, the spring box will just take off and you will have a lovely assortment of fresh veggies. That is a good idea to create shade if you think it will be getting too hot before the spring veggies are ready to harvest.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted with your progress. Did you take photos, because we would love to see.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down