Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another planting consideration Toplef10Another planting consideration 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another planting consideration I22gcj10Another planting consideration 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Another planting consideration Toplef10Another planting consideration 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Another planting consideration I22gcj10Another planting consideration 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Another planting consideration

+9
cabinfever
camprn
nancy
staf74
middlemamma
Barkie
BackyardBirdGardner
quiltbea
boffer
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another planting consideration Empty Another planting consideration

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 9:45 am

Let's see, we have to think about companion planting, and rotating, and tallest to shortest, and trellis vs. non. BBG reminded me of another:

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:... I see what Mel says about not planting in rows. The two broccoli in another bed have holes in the leaves while the two broccoli in the main bed are fine. If I planted them in with the others, I'd have holes in all 4.

To plant like plants altogether or spread them out? The answer is what works best for you.

I usually spread plants out. I've had experiences similar to BBG's, where plants in one box get infested with bugs, and plants in other boxes don't get touched. Spreading out gives me a quality check of my MM. If all the plants are growing about the same, then everything is normal. If plants in one box are slow/poor looking, then I may have a problem in that box. Plants grow at different rates each summer. I just have a better feel for what is normal in a given summer when like plants are spread out.

On the other hand, putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, makes it easier to cover all the same plants with bug netting or shade cloth. For the tinkerers, it makes it easier to add whatever you are using. It could make it easier to water a certain way as well.

Decisions, decisions!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Another planting consideration Empty Re: Another planting consideration

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2011, 10:22 am

Boffer, you are so right. Decisions, decisions!

When I had all my cabbages side by side I easily tossed light row cover over them and had no flea beetle problems all season.

But this year I'm separating everything, except pairing peppers so they can 'brush shoulders' which I understand they like. That way they'll deplete only their own nutrition needs and there'll be energy left in the soil for other plants next year. Some plants may have a problem but others may miss that same problem. Its experimentation when you become an SFG'r.

I'm also keeping plan records so I know what is growing in each square so next year a different crop family will take its place. For me, that's a fun part of gardening. I love planning.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 10:42 am

Holy cow, Boffer just overthought something!! Alert, alert....close the garden gates. Keep the crazies inside!!

I like to consider myself more a "minimalist" when I'm probably not. I like to consider myself a simpleton whenI'm probably not. Truth is: I'm a lazy s.o.b. of a gardener but can overthink things with the best of them.

However, the laziness usually wins out. I don't worry about companion planting at all. I rotate by randomly mixing up my squares because that will keep things separated from the buggies...two birds, one stone. I add compost and have learned to water with compost tea when things look like they need a little pick-me-up. However, I also have some turbo juice (MiracleGro) on hand, too, when I feel I really need a quick shot in the arm.

One day, I'll have a better system figured out......if I don't overthink that, too. Laughing

To each his/her own! There are three things we should all have in common here, and I think we know what they are...

Happy Gardening!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/5/2011, 12:31 pm

Um, rather than have detailed plans which I'll forget to update, file somewhere and just lose I'm going for a keep it simple half and half approach. Main "cottage" garden - herbs and veg mixed in with fruit and flowers, SFG beds Bug Netting and if something fails in the "cottage" side hopefully there'll be some or something else in the SFG side or vice-versa.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/5/2011, 1:17 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Holy cow, Boffer just overthought
something!! Alert, alert....close the garden gates. Keep the crazies
inside!!

lol!

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:However, I also have some turbo juice (MiracleGro) on hand, too, when I
feel I really need a quick shot in the arm.

Another planting consideration 13366
What do I have to do to get you to put down the Miracle Grow Bottle, walk away slowly and switch to Fish Emulsion? Is a 12-step program necessary here?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/5/2011, 2:17 pm

What do I have to do to get you to put down the Miracle Grow Bottle,
walk away slowly and switch to Fish Emulsion? Is a 12-step program
necessary here?

Yet another consideration here though is at what stage of the plants growth are we needing to inject this...."shot in the arm" and what part of the plant is your edible part. If your lettuce needs a boost then yes....fish emulsion is perfect as it is a 5-1-1 balance of macro nutrients (N-P-K). The higher Nitrogen ratio will induce copious vegetative growth and naturally, that is what you want because you eat the leaves.

However, if your crop is needing the shot in the arm around blossom / fruit set time, then fish emulsion is NOT the correct choice unless balanced with something higher in the P-K. Perhaps then a balanced Miracle grow is apropos but better liquid organic choices do exist IMO (but I would use it in a pinch if it meant life or death). Tomatoes for example benefit from early applications higher in nitrogen producing leaf and stem growth. As blossoming occurs though, switch to fertilizers which are higher in Phosphorus and Potassium. Too much Nitrogen fertilizer at blossom time results in lots of lush green leaves, and little fruit or certainly less than you might have gotten.

To chime in with spacing or clustering similar crops, personally I do both depending on crops. I will put basil and tomato together in the same box alternating squares as they companion nicely and to give the maters a little more room to wiggle. I see the benefit in both but I'm too OCD with visual patterns to be able to put things all over the place so my spacing is still patterned. Besides, some crops (ie Broccoli) get soooo big that not only does it shade out other smaller crops of the the cooler season such as Lettuce / spinach etc but its roots become big bullies and overrun the smaller plants squares, essentially choking them out and stunting growth.

Sorry to muddy the waters .... just some more things to ponder and go mad over.

Decisions Decisions indeed :scratch:

After all that said..... you can always try the "pin the tail on the donkey" method of planting your boxes. I bet that will work for some just as good too Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 3:17 pm

To be short and not derail the thread, I found a fabulous bargain on 20-20-20. I am a proponent of balance fertilizers in just about everything I do. If it won't burn, I'll give it a college try. That said, 20-20-20 is walking a very thin line on the "burn" idea.

Oh, and I'm not an "organic" guy, nor am I all that concerned with being "green." I like the ideas, but often times it is a more expensive way to go....and requires much more time and effort. See "laziness" above.

I water my impatiens with MiracleGro about every two weeks. They get to about 24-30 inches tall by Labor Day....and thick....lemme tell ya about thick. They usually slow traffic when people drive by because they are so big peope swear they aren't impatiens. I learned that from my Nana.

I swore I'd try to give nitrogen to tomatoes this year until they start to blossom. Then, I switch off to a little lower "balance" fertilizer. With the middle and last numbers being 20, also, I couldn't resist. That's the highest I have seen. So, college try again.

I knew I'd get a little flaming for saying so, but I am a "full disclosure" kinda guy. What you see is what you get, and I ain't ashamed to tell you...lol. Sometimes I get into trouble with that attitude, well most times...
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 3:27 pm

staf74 wrote:...After all that said..... you can always try the "pin the tail on the donkey" method of planting your boxes. I bet that will work for some just as good too Very Happy

cheers I like that, Staf. That's exactly how I do my planting! cheers
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/5/2011, 3:41 pm

BBG - since you opened yourself up to the flames, I will give you a light toasting. I have no problem with Miracle Gro - I no longer use it but I won't tell someone they shouldn't. My issue is Roundup. It is vile. As one who raises gray treefrogs and monarch butterflies in an attempt to slow down their deteriorating rates, I have to say this stuff is awful. Here is what savethefrogs.org says:

"Roundup (also sold as Touchdown Total) is lethal to gray treefrog and leopard frog tadpoles, and most likely a host of other as yet untested frog species. Roundup is one of the most commonly applied herbicides in the USA; it's produced by Monsanto, the same folks who gave us Agent Orange. Over half of the DNA found in frogs is also found in humans, so if these pesticides kill frogs, imagine what they do to us! "

It eventually works its way into groundwater supplies and since frogs lay their eggs in water and because their skin is so soft and absorbant it poisons them at an alarming rate. Please, please reconsider using it. Help me save the frogs! Very Happy
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/5/2011, 3:45 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
I knew I'd get a little flaming for saying so, but I am a "full disclosure" kinda guy. What you see is what you get, and I ain't ashamed to tell you...lol. Sometimes I get into trouble with that attitude, well most times...

Hey, are you my long lost twin?

Sorry for de-rail, oops.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/5/2011, 3:46 pm

I'm also sorry for the derail - I couldn't remember in which post he talked about Roundup so I plopped it here. Sorry boffer!!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2011, 4:08 pm

boffer wrote:
staf74 wrote:...After all that said..... you can always try the "pin the tail on the donkey" method of planting your boxes. I bet that will work for some just as good too Very Happy

cheers I like that, Staf. That's exactly how I do my planting! cheers
+1 Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2011, 4:09 pm

Barkie wrote:
BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

Hey, are you my long lost twin?

Sorry for de-rail, oops.
+1 Triplet? Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/5/2011, 5:04 pm

Personal choices are just that and when you make personal decisions on what to eat and how it was produced / grown etc, no one gives two hoots or should not as you are not affecting anyone/thing else. Perhaps the grey area lies where unintentional and/or willful neglect comes into play where your decision then negatively impacts others or other things (said case of froggies) down the line, especially if another perhaps less aggressive option was available. Do we have a responsibility to take a second look at that choice? Personally, I think yes but all you can do is plead and nudge. The moment you pontificate or patronize (which no-one is doing), you've lost a potential opportunity to initiate positive change. But....Free will trumps all; whether rightly or wrongly.

I believe the round-up reference Nancy was on a thread relating specifically to a type of invasive grass. We have bermuda here and I don't fight it as bad as I could in my boxes by raising them on gravel but it does break though somewhat often and I hand pull it. Its kinda fun watching the runner pull up and unravel. That does NOT take care of it by any stretch and I know it will be back in the very same spot in another couple of weeks but I just can't bring myself to use Round-up. That example is obviously FREE of $$$ and an easy one to make as I like manual labor....wierd??...not in my world...I'm a P.E teacher by day; in good shape and use my garden in lieu of a trip to the gym at times. Some just don't have the time / inclination or endurance for physical tasks. Each to their own. It is what it is.

I'm trying to be conscience of being greener all the time but this whole notion is certainly not where the OP was heading. Sometimes threads just morph into jello and so I'll yield to Boffer but happy to continue a respectful discussion wherever it may lead. Not wishing to turn up the heat on BBG here because you have to admire his candidness and honesty.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  cabinfever 5/5/2011, 5:11 pm

This thread is very detrimental to us newbies! Have a heart, guys! Things are overwhelming enough the first time around! affraid
cabinfever
cabinfever

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/5/2011, 5:29 pm

cabinfever wrote:This thread is very detrimental to us newbies! Have a heart, guys! Things are overwhelming enough the first time around! affraid

Methinks you be a potential candidate for said "pinning of tail on the donkey" method of planting Wink

Editing this to contain the following info. Be gald to help with ANY question you may have. PM me also if needed.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 5:34 pm

I'm the last person to be offended by the derailing of a thread. I'll just derail it in another direction!

You guys can play with your concoctions and timing all you want.

In the meantime, I'll be obstinate, obnoxious, and obtuse about staying true to the directions in the ANSFG book, as I plod along year after year, happy as can be with the results that I get. It could be that I'm slow, or lazy, or lack the Type A gene, or just aren't interested. But the amount of money and time you guys spend on indiscriminate applications of amendments on your gardens, just doesn't sound appealing to me.

I don't doubt that some of those applications are beneficial. But until you start comparing your results against a control box, in the the same year, you aren't acquiring data that is beneficial in the long run...you're just playing in the dirt.

FOOD FIGHT!!!!!! cheers
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 5:39 pm

Sorry to affect the newbies...lol. Like I said, I try to keep things simple most times. So.....not my fault.....neener neener neener....lol.

Also, we need a emoticon with serious flames coming out of it in a funny way. I could have some serious fun with that one....and I assume others could, too. Wink

I agree that we should try and be green when presented the choice. But, I believe money is also a deciding factor. As is time and effort.

One thing I will add is that using RoundUp DOES affect other people and other things....case in point.....Nancy. So, even though I have the choice and right to make said choice, I need to be cognisant of the fact I DO affect others with EVERY choice I make.

See, I can flame myself, too. I do it all the time. Y'all just ain't round to herr it. Wink
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/5/2011, 5:41 pm

@ Boffer......

Another planting consideration 304405 Another planting consideration 739404
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/5/2011, 5:51 pm

Another planting consideration 60389 Enjoying the movie......whatever will happen next?
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 5:52 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:@ Boffer......

Another planting consideration 304405 Another planting consideration 739404

Pshaw! My broccoli can beat up your broccoli any day!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/5/2011, 6:01 pm

Here is a link to an on fire mad smiley face, camprn used it and I cant get it to work here.. what the heck am I doing wrong.

Here is the link though
http://www.cakedot.com/on_fireMadSmiley.gif

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/5/2011, 6:09 pm

'What it's like to get old...when the act of eating hot peppers is more painful exiting than entering!'

Another planting consideration On_fireMadSmiley

Think Johnny Cash...'And it's burn, burn, burn, the ring of fire, the...'
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/5/2011, 6:12 pm

Ok how did you make it work I copied and pasted that and it didnt work this is what happened when I did Another planting consideration QObeDQteN0vHQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==\

I figured it out.. Another planting consideration On_fireMadSmiley
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 5/5/2011, 6:29 pm

boffer wrote: 'What it's like to get old...when the act of eating hot peppers is more painful exiting than entering!'

Another planting consideration On_fireMadSmiley

Think Johnny Cash...'And it's burn, burn, burn, the ring of fire, the...'

Boffer, you're just too funny! I got a good chuckle out of this one.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum