Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Showing off! - Page 2 Toplef10Showing off! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Showing off! - Page 2 I22gcj10Showing off! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Showing off! - Page 2 Toplef10Showing off! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Showing off! - Page 2 I22gcj10Showing off! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Showing off!

+17
boog1
Hyzleyes
sherryeo
Tril
Old Hippie
The Cynergist
Furbalsmom
camprn
clfraser
CindiLou
staf74
quiltbea
spankyleatherlips
Nonna.PapaVino
WolfHeart
Josh
BackyardBirdGardner
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Showing off! - Page 2 Empty Showing off!

Post  sherryeo 5/2/2011, 10:01 pm

BBG & Furbalsmom, My hubby keeps bird feeders in our backyard or tries to. He says that he just doesn't believe that there is such a thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder because every one we've ever had, the squirrels manage to get into. Sometimes, they will knock it to the ground to break it so they can get at the bird food. Evil or Very Mad Do you have any trouble with squirrels getting into your bird feeders? Any suggestions? Thanks. Love the photos - truly beautiful. Smile
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Showing off! - Page 2 Empty Re: Showing off!

Post  Furbalsmom 5/2/2011, 10:13 pm

We have very few squirrels around the lake we live on.

Our biggest problem is Stellar Jays, noisy, big jays that knock all the seed out of the feeder onto the ground. We have seen one Stellar Jay empty a gallon of seed from the feeder in 7 minutes.

Our best solution was placing 1/4 inch hardware cloth over the tray that holds the seed as it feeds from the container. All of the birds can come in and take some seeds, even the Jays, but the Jays can't sweep their beak back and forth to dump all the seeds to the ground.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 5/2/2011, 10:32 pm

AHH MAZING shots, BBG!!!
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/3/2011, 7:40 am

My "anti-squirrel" tactics include two black labs and my BB gun.

Now I need something that will keep the turkeys out of my yard! I won't send the dogs after them... or shoot them (although, it IS turkey season this month...). But MAN, they make a mess. Mad
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/3/2011, 5:52 pm

i was sitting at the table drinkin a coffie and not 1 or 2 but 4 rose breasted grosbeak males show up at the feeder Shocked the other half was floored when i told her ta come have a look see. guess we dont get them around here all that often,first i seen them sence i moved up here 4 years ago. 2 females have been to the feeders in the past couple of days. mus be a sign of spring tween them and the grackles and brown headed cowbirds and red winged black birds bout the only ones we had at the feeders all winter was chickadees finchs sparroos

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 5/4/2011, 12:23 am

Furbalsmom wrote: (no camera No dag nab it)

Dag nab it is right; I would have loved to see that.

We don't really see anything other than robins around here. Oh yeah and those gigantic crows. When I first moved here in '93, I used to see all kinds of blue jays and cardinals, but they seem to have disappeared. Maybe I can talk my Honey into letting me put some stuff up to attract more varieties.

xoxo
Cyne
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/7/2011, 10:13 pm

The tree swallows have returned to the lake area and these poor babies are so busy flying around they don't even look where they are going. I have had three come into my semi enclosed porch today. They do not willingly land on the broom so we can gently direct them to go over by the door. If you remember, the hummingbird sat on the broom for us to take him to the door.

Stressed Tree Swallow
Showing off! - Page 2 I_can_10

Sitting among the chive blossoms
Showing off! - Page 2 Swallo10

Sitting on the empty seedling pots
Showing off! - Page 2 Swallo11

The purple blue color on their backs is amazing
Showing off! - Page 2 Swallo12
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/9/2011, 10:07 am

That last picture is outstanding! I love it!!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 5/17/2011, 7:59 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:That last picture is outstanding! I love it!!

I agree. What is the name of that bird, or is that the tree swallow?
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/18/2011, 12:14 am

That picture is the tree swallow.

Today we had an Anna's Rufous Hummingbird that got into the semi enclosed porch. We ended up scooping it up in our hands and setting it in the rosemary bush where it sat a little stunned for a few minutes, then it flew away.
Frightened Anna's Roufus Hummingbird on the porchShowing off! - Page 2 Fright10
Sitting on the window frame - can you see the pollen on it's nose? It was sipping from the flowering plants on the porch.Showing off! - Page 2 Annas_10
Resting before flying offShowing off! - Page 2 Annas_11
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/18/2011, 12:55 am

So cool Furbalsmom....I miss seeing hummers. We never saw them in AZ when I lived there but growing up in CA I saw them all the time.

I put out a feeder here last year hoping to attract some and never saw a one.

So far this spring all I see are robins. I see them hopping all through my boxes in the morning...I sure hope they are not eating my seeds.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/18/2011, 7:27 am

I had my first hummer of the season yesterday. Seems awfully early. And I can't find my feeder!!!
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/18/2011, 7:39 am

got to see a baltimore oreio for first time yesterday while i was chatting on here a couple of males landed on a plastic selfing unit right outside my slider i grabed the camara hit the start button an see << LOW BATTERY>> GOODBYE click i was like Evil or Very Mad @!$%&&^%$$#$#% off they flew soooooo the other half made me go buy oranges to set out an see if they come back batterys changed crossin my fingers.

boog
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/18/2011, 8:29 am

The day after I posted my Baltimore Oriole pictures the local newpaper printed a picture of them that someone from my town had sent in! I've had my pair here every day since then. They make a neat sound... kind of a trilling chirp.

I bought two more Peanut Doughs for my suet feeders AND some very berry ones. I put out one of each, thinking the Orioles might like the fruity ones better. They don't. They not even landing on that one!
Tril
Tril

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/18/2011, 11:24 am

Tril wrote:The day after I posted my Baltimore Oriole pictures the local newpaper printed a picture of them that someone from my town had sent in! I've had my pair here every day since then. They make a neat sound... kind of a trilling chirp.

I bought two more Peanut Doughs for my suet feeders AND some very berry ones. I put out one of each, thinking the Orioles might like the fruity ones better. They don't. They not even landing on that one!

The Orioles like the humming bird feeders. My daughter fills one with the red humming bird food and one with the orange oriole food but both types of birds use both feeders.

We won't see orioles here in southern California til july or august.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/18/2011, 6:10 pm

Awesome shot of that hummer. Your window is providing a great backdrop for all those trapped buddies.

I am getting ready to try with Hummingbirds this spring/summer. I am currently plotting the best location for the feeder. I want something that will both blurr and freeze the wings when they feed....and is right outside my window.

For those of you looking to observe birds in the backyard...

If you put a feeder close to a window, try and keep it less than about 6 feet. Why? So, they don't kill themselves when startled by flying right into the window....and they will. I have several hit my windows all the time. Just this Saturday morning, while relaxing with the wife, the window got peppered by birdies. The fledglings are still learning to fly...lol. The regulars know where the windows are. But, they will not pay a lot of attention when a Cooper's Hawk buzzes the feeders. They will see sunshine and fly right into a window.

I got a chance to shoot today and yesterday afternoon. Here are the better ones so far this week...

Peter my White-breasted Nuthatch
Showing off! - Page 2 5735100314_3579bc910e_z

Mrs. Pujols
Being that I live in St. Louis, the dominant couple is appropriately named Sir Albert and Mrs. Pujols, but I have three pairs that fight over the feeders..
Showing off! - Page 2 5734550927_47458a458e_z

Woody my Downy Woodpecker I also have three pairs of Downies this spring...
Showing off! - Page 2 5735099512_c07362c686_z

Black-capped Chickadee I was so close on this one, but I still think it's super cool timing. If you look, his head is out of focus ever so slightly.
Showing off! - Page 2 5734550323_abc301a5cc_z
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/19/2011, 9:21 am

i need ta ask what kinda camara do u use?? 35mm? the pics are a HE!! alot chrisper than that digital thing i got, but it aint nuttin ta brag about either think i payed 20 bucks for it.

boog
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/19/2011, 10:00 am

just after that last post the small one landed on the shepard's hook here's two pics

Showing off! - Page 2 Pict0013

Showing off! - Page 2 Pict0014
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/19/2011, 1:02 pm

Yes, it's sort of 35mm. I jumped into the digital age a couple of years back before my family took the kids on their "real" first summer vacation to Myrtle Beach. I wasn't going to miss that, or take subpar pictures with my experience. I knew I wanted better, saved the money, and bought the camera.

It's still not a huge investment for photography, though. It's a Canon EOS Rebel XSi. About $600 for the body and first "kit" lens (18-55mm). That gets me my landscape/scenery shots and most of my portraits of the kids. But, I am a huge sports guy, bird guy, and action guy. So, I knew I needed more "reach." I also sprung for the second "kit" lens (55-250mm). Again, it's not what I dream about, but the setup works really well for my needs....and budget.

The whole outfit, with battery, charger, memory card, card reader, bag, etc, ran me just under $1000. It was a bite out of the tooshy, but it's been so worth it.

Watch out for Josh, too. He is learning the hobby and doing really well with his mom's camera. If anyone is interested, I would encourage you to learn the basics of how these cameras work. It isn't rocket science, and these days the cameras do a lot of the work for you. Not at all like when I shot black/white film for my father's newspaper back in the day (early 90s...lol). So much has changed, and we have ALL gotten better as a result.

It's such a fun hobby when you know a little more than the average Joe.

Oh, and all you guys with your Orioles are KILLING me. I'd almost give my right arm to have one in my yard. I just don't see many of them around here.....and I know they are around. Love seeing everyone else's bird shots, too.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/19/2011, 1:50 pm

i do have a 35mm with 3 differant len's an flash i jus need ta get the book out an learn how to use it sad part about is bein it uses film a shots a shot no matter how it turns out the digidal if i hate the pic jus delete it.

boog
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/19/2011, 2:33 pm

boog1 wrote:i do have a 35mm with 3 differant len's an flash i jus need ta get the book out an learn how to use it sad part about is bein it uses film a shots a shot no matter how it turns out the digidal if i hate the pic jus delete it.

boog

I have two old 35mm's I used to use. Once the digital era hit, I stopped using them, too. It's just easier to get a decent picture right instead of having to wait until the film comes back from processing. I went almost 8 years only using digital point and shoots....and was relatively happy with what I was doing. However, that trip changed my mindset completely....about ME having the control over the shots. I want as much control as I can get.

When I first looked into MY type of camera, in the digital era, they were running in the thousands! Shocked They also had CDs in them instead of memory cards. The barrier to entry was just too high. It's still high, but it's low enough I decided to save for it. I have never been happier with my results. But, obviously, it's not something everyone is willing to do. All about personal choice.

If you want a fun idea, that's less expensive, google "digiscoping" and do some poking around with that technique. I've seen some incredible images using that method, too.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/19/2011, 3:52 pm

helps if your subject is a tad closer that orange half was 20 feet away now its only 4 still hada zoom in allthe way thats a female baltimore oriole if anybody dos'nt know

Showing off! - Page 2 Pict0023
Showing off! - Page 2 Pict0022
Showing off! - Page 2 Pict0020
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/19/2011, 5:10 pm

It makes a huge difference! Not that the other shot is bad, but these are better. Bringing the subject in, especially when it's rather small, is really important. As a photographer, amatuer or otherwise, your job is to lead the viewer's eye to the point you want them to see. One way to do this is to "fill the frame" with your subject. It's the primary technique I use with birds. There is nothing else around to distract you from seeing what I want you to see....the bird.

My feeders are ridiculously close to my house.....like 6 feet. I have them that way so I can shoot small birds with my lens and have them filling the frame without me having to crop too much out in the computer. The more you crop out, the lower the quality of your image most times. It tends to get fuzzy.

I know plenty of guys that hand feed their backyard birds. That way, the birds are so close they are easy to take pictures of. But, hand training wild birds obviously takes time. Time I use for my garden, this forum, or other hobbies I have. Oh, and family....lol.

Keep shooting, and keep sharing, guys. This is becoming one of my favorite threads here.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 5/19/2011, 6:21 pm

Ok BackyardBirdGardener I have one that's not on your list, It's not very close, It flew over the garden and landed at the top of a big tree. I took the photo at 100 feet away. After I cropped it, and lightened the photo a bit, you can see the bird fairly good.
buzzard

old buzzard
A Buzzard!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/19/2011, 6:26 pm

Buzzards have their place in the food chain, but they definitely have a face only its mother could love! Shocked

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next