Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Rhode Island Toplef10Hello from Rhode Island 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Rhode Island I22gcj10Hello from Rhode Island 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Rhode Island Toplef10Hello from Rhode Island 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Rhode Island I22gcj10Hello from Rhode Island 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Rhode Island

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Rhode Island Empty Hello from Rhode Island

Post  hmerlet 4/26/2011, 11:30 pm

I came across SFG in my local home improvement store. I immediately purchased the book and some raised bed boxes. I am just waiting for some time off of work to get started!! As a child, some of my fondest memories are of the gardening I did with my family. As a busy single person the old style garden that my family had is not practical, but this way looks fantastic. If anyone has any tips for me before I actually start the process, I look forward to reading them. Hope to hear from you all.
hmerlet

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Hello from Rhode Island Empty Re: Hello from Rhode Island

Post  quiltbea 4/26/2011, 11:40 pm

Welcome from a Mainer.
You'll love SFG. Its an easier way to garden than rows.
Harvesting those fresh, tasty crops if the biggest benefit.
Be sure you check your regional group to see what's happening in your neck of the woods.
Read the book cover to cover and then get your hands dirty.

This board is full of techniques and tips and ideas so check it out daily.
Don't be afraid to ask specific questions. There are several people that can help, I'm sure.

Good luck,
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/26/2011, 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum. You asked for tips? I have only one: Promise yourself that you'll 'do it by the book'. No excuses; no rationalizations; no quit.

Some folks find it tougher than others to get started properly. But no one complains when they get started right. The data is starting to come in: those who start gardening by following the ALL NEW SFG book, are more likely to be gardening in five years than those who don't. Happy Gardening.

(P.S. They sure made your town look beautiful in the TV series that ran a few years ago, starring Melina Kanakaredes.)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/27/2011, 9:48 am

Hello from Rhode Island 396615 Hello from Rhode Island 396615 Hello from Rhode Island 396615

So very glad to have ya!

Let me see, tips before you start. I can think of three things:

• Peat Moss in compressed bales is actually twice the volume listed on the package. If it says 3cu.ft. it is actually 6 cu.ft. when fluffed up.
  • Moisten the peat moss before you mix it into the Mel's Mix. peat moss tend to repel water until it is moistened the first time. Warm water works best for this.
  • READ THE LABELS ON YOU COMPOST BAGS. You want your bags of compost to be as pure as possible. Some good ones are cow, horse, and chicken manures; mushroom compost and worm castings. make sure that the bags are 50%+ peat or mulch. Especially in the case of peat it will throw off your Mel's Mix.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. We are always eager to help out fellow SFGers if we can. Also, we LOVE pictures around here. So, once you get your SFG going please post some. We can learn so much from each other just by looking at the beautiful pictures posted on these forums.

Please stop on by your regional forums when you have a chance. Regional forums are a great place to get region specific information, ask regional questions, and generally get to know folks from your area.

Take care and happy gardening!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/27/2011, 10:02 am

hmerlet wrote:I came across SFG in my local home improvement store. I immediately purchased the book and some raised bed boxes. I am just waiting for some time off of work to get started!! As a child, some of my fondest memories are of the gardening I did with my family. As a busy single person the old style garden that my family had is not practical, but this way looks fantastic. If anyone has any tips for me before I actually start the process, I look forward to reading them. Hope to hear from you all.

Hello from Rhode Island 396615 hmerlet, we are really glad you joined us. Purchasing the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book is the best first step in order to have a great garden. Of course, that assumes you read and follow the directions. Very Happy Mel has a wonderful way of explaining why and how to get your garden growing.

Best tip? Make sure you follow the directions for Mel's Mix. One little hint, don't go by the size listed on your peat moss, which is usually a compacted bale. You really need to fluff the peat moss out of the bale before you measure. It will expand to almost two times Shocked the volumne listed.
It is also very important to find five good types of compost. Check the ingredients listed on the compost bag. Sometimes the compost blend includes fillers of peat moss, which when added to your vermiculite and measured peat moss, can cause you to have an excess of peat moss and your mix will be short in necessary nutrients.

Not trying to scare you at all, just want you to have the best possible start for your veggies.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress. By the way, we I love you pictures.

Edited to add: Dizzygardener and I had some very similar thoughts on tips for you. Sorry if this is a duplication of information.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/27/2011, 1:25 pm

That third bullet should read " READ THE LABELS ON YOU COMPOST BAGS. You want your bags of compost to be as pure as possible. Some good ones are cow, horse, and chicken manures; mushroom compost and worm castings. make sure that the bags are NOT 50%+ peat or mulch. Especially in the case of peat it will throw off your Mel's Mix. "

I forgot the word "not" in the original post. Sorry and thanks FB for bringing that to my attention.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down