Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
combining compost - Page 2 Toplef10combining compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

combining compost - Page 2 I22gcj10combining compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
combining compost - Page 2 Toplef10combining compost - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

combining compost - Page 2 I22gcj10combining compost - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

combining compost

+13
camprn
Goosegirl
Kelejan
boffer
UnderTheBlackWalnut
stripesmom
Miss M
Bristow
Old Hippie
shannon1
Furbalsmom
altagarden
tegaan
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

combining compost - Page 2 Empty Re: combining compost

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 3:29 am

When I bought conduit, they would not cut it, but loaned us a tape measure and pipe cutter so we could cut the pieces to allow them to fit into my car. (Left the truck home that day)

By the way, if you happen to buy 20 ft pieces of 1/2 inch PVC( a bit less expensive than buying 2 - 10 ft pieces), you can coil them a bit into the back of a short bed, crew cab pick-up truck and the leftover ends fit over the passenger side door mirror. It does require the passenger to be already in the vehicle before the pipes are tied to the passenger side mirror. I kept waiting for the coil to sproing undone and fly all over the road, but it stayed put the whole 20 mile trip home. Should have taken a picture of that trip.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/12/2011, 8:30 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Dee and Bristow........ combining compost - Page 2 396615 Comment ca va? We are so happy to have more Canadians here on the forum. Yayyyy! combining compost - Page 2 445227 combining compost - Page 2 445227 I think you may be our only Quebecois SFG here but that is okay. I am in BC. Dee, it doesn't matter which of you posts of if you both do. We are delighted to have you both here.

You will find SFG the best way to garden. Best of luck to you in this new venture. Make sure to post any questions you have and also any photos. And don't be alarmed if we get to acting silly sometimes. We are kind of like family here so tease and joke sometimes and hope that you won't mind. Even better, we hope that you will join in. Wink

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:LOL - welcome! Some of the stores in my area, central Illinois, won't cut product for you. I've seen a guy out in the parking lot, with his saw plugged into one of the electrical outlets cutting his wood himself to the lengths he needed it so he could fit it into his car. I am lucky and married a guy with an 8 foot pickup truck bed. Smile Shhh....don't tell him I was attracted to the truck first. Wink

When I was young I went out with more than one guy because I was in love with his car, truck or motorbike and not him. Pretty shallow of me. LOL!

Gwynn

Bonjour everybody and Merci for the warm Welcome!

Old Hippie, where did you get those gorgeous Canadian flags? It sure is a sight for sore eyes and something we don't see much around these parts. I have a small Canadian flag on my bomber jacket and boy, have I gotten stared at! I don't care! Last I checked, Quebec was still part of Canada, right? You betcha!!! And if we really are the only Quebecers on this site, please, I beg you, don't treat us like delicate orchids under glass! I hope that when my neighbours see our splendid garden, they will ask question and join in the fun. Not holding my breath though... Rolling Eyes

And we do love the "getting silly" part! Do tease and joke!

Huh, one question: is it unusual to get a "little" frazzle (I'm being polite here 'cause what I really want to say is "freaked out" but anyway...) about when to start planting, what to plant, along with what, starting journals and losing sleep at night because time is running out, the weather this weekend is gonna be lousy, etc., etc., etc.??? I'm just describing Dee here (just looked over my shoulder see if she's around Laughing ) coast is clear, but man, I think she's losing it!!! Any help there? Anyone?

Thanks for the welcome, UnderTheBlackWalnut. It just so happen that we have a walnut tree in our back yard. Don't know what colour it is though. It looks green to me... Very Happy

And Gwynn, I don't think that you're shallow at all, just your boxes (6")... Rolling Eyes Sorry, I just had to!

I hope you guys can help me calm down Dee here. Then again, maybe I'm the one who's too laid back and you'll all agree with her and light a petard under my butt??? affraid

Bristow
Bristow
Bristow

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2011, 8:33 pm

Hi Bristo, I am only 3 hours south of you!! combining compost - Page 2 396615 to the SFG Forum! HA! I need a wee petard under my butt too! funny! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/12/2011, 8:43 pm

camprn wrote:Hi Bristo, I am only 3 hours south of you!! combining compost - Page 2 396615 to the SFG Forum! HA! I need a wee petard under my butt too! funny! Very Happy

Hi camprn, and thanks for the welcome!

Sigh... If this was a year ago, I might have written "we'll be taking a drive down there some day and get to meet you". But with the price of gas at $5.40 per gallon (I did the conversion into gallons as we buy it by the litre here) and I doubt it will ever go back down, I guess the only place we'll ever get to chat is here. What a shame though. We've never been to New Hampshire, just heard a lot about your state while watching The West Wing, back a few years ago. Glad to meet you!

Bristow
Bristow
Bristow

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/12/2011, 9:49 pm

Bristow said: Huh, one question: is it unusual to get a "little" frazzle (I'm being polite here 'cause what I really want to say is "freaked out" but anyway...) about when to start planting, what to plant, along with what, starting journals and losing sleep at night because time is running out, the weather this weekend is gonna be lousy, etc., etc., etc.??? I'm just describing Dee here (just looked over my shoulder see if she's around Laughing ) coast is clear, but man, I think she's losing it!!! Any help there? Anyone?
Anytime you go into a new experience, there is some frazzle What a Face involved. Wine helps combining compost - Page 2 433311
Don't forget, this is supposed to be fun! It is only seeds. The first effort with any project is not always as smooth as when you gain experience. It is all about learning a new method of growing veggies. You have grown veggies before, and once the construction and filling of boxes is completed, this is going to be so much easier for you both.

If Dee wants to plan what and when to plant, check out the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book, Mel's final summary, pages 252-259 as well as pages 192 - 193 for plant sizes and spacing. That is all the charts you need to determine when to plant what, whether it is seeds or transplants for summer or fall gardening.

Dee said: There is a family of moles living in that jungle as well as rabbits albino and goodness knows what else combining compost - Page 2 523562 ( 🐘?) . I am planning on planting a row just for them (the four legged inhabitants) near the fence that separates the two properties in the hope that they leave the content of our boxes alone. Keeping toes and fingers crossed...
The chicken wire bottoms for your boxes should take care of the mole problem. As far as the bunnies, bats and elephants Laughing, I have deer and the occasional bunny. My table tops are ok with hoops and netting. I do have an older garden area that will house my tomatoes in buckets, artichokes and strawberries. I will be wrapping deer netting around that garden area. As long as it is secured around the bottom, it should keep rabbits out,
but I don't know how well it will do with elephants combining compost - Page 2 680166
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/12/2011, 9:57 pm

"but I don't know how well it will do with elephants combining compost - Page 2 680166"

Furballsmom, try www.elephants.com I am sure they will help you as they have now made gardens to help feed their elephants.

I think they have six-foot high piping around theirs. It doesn't keep out the rabbits, though.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/14/2011, 3:04 pm

stripesmom wrote:Dee and Bristow,
My DH asked me how much I have invested in my boxes and I said I hadn't kept track. I haven't either, but I know it's a lot. I've had to drive all over creation to find stuff and with gas prices the way they are Rolling Eyes that just added to it. It will all average out in the end though. Last year, I joined a CSA, since I didn't have a garden. Even though this is a good thing for some people, it was a huge mistake. I spent $560 for a share and got very little produce and most of it was not very good. She used her best things for the farmers market and then the stuff she couldn't sell went to the CSA. She had really good reviews too, so I suspect they were friends or family that posted the reviews. I know I don't have that much invested in my boxes and I know my produce will be fresh this way.

I really want to get a composter. I've checked out craigslist and found a neat one for $80. Now to just convince the old man that I need one. He does have a truck (which is a stick and I can't drive it), so he'll have to go get it.

Yesterday, I went to the lumber yard to get pvc pipe and electrical conduit. They wouldn't cut it for me, so I had to haul it home in my Blazer. It just fit when shoved in catty cornered.

Please forgive my ignorance, stripesmom but, what exactly is a "DH"? combining compost - Page 2 601593

Bristow
Bristow
Bristow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/14/2011, 3:29 pm

DH = Dear Husband. There's another one, but you only use it when you're made at your D(ear) H(usband). Wink

DS = dear son
DD = dear daughter
DW = dear wife
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/14/2011, 4:22 pm

Tril wrote:DH = Dear Husband. There's another one, but you only use it when you're made at your D(ear) H(usband). Wink

DS = dear son
DD = dear daughter
DW = dear wife

Now that clears it up combining compost - Page 2 926169 Thanks!

Huh, what's the one for when you're mad at hubby? combining compost - Page 2 671790 Just curious...

Bristow
Bristow
Bristow

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 5/14/2011, 4:30 pm

DH can be dear husband, dear hubby or.... d--- head. Sorry, but you did ask. Embarassed lol!
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristow 5/14/2011, 4:35 pm

Tril wrote:DH can be dear husband, dear hubby or.... d--- head. Sorry, but you did ask. Embarassed lol!

lol! lol! lol!

I like that!

Dee
Bristow
Bristow

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 5/14/2011, 6:44 pm

It does seem to depend upon the day and what has occurred, lol. Love that Dee Very Happy
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/14/2011, 7:47 pm

[quote="Furbalsmom"][quote]Bristow said:

but I don't know how well it will do with elephants combining compost - Page 2 680166[/quote

Elephants make a big pile for a wonderful ingredient in ZOO-POO.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/14/2011, 7:54 pm

I always thought the D was for darling.
If angry at the person, then its that big thing that holds back water at reservoirs but spelled differently. D.mn.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/15/2011, 6:40 am

Tril wrote:DH can be dear husband, dear hubby or.... d--- head. Sorry, but you did ask. Embarassed lol!

Or Dunderhead ? jocolor
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2