Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Adding dirt? Toplef10Adding dirt? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Adding dirt? I22gcj10Adding dirt? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Adding dirt? Toplef10Adding dirt? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Adding dirt? I22gcj10Adding dirt? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Adding dirt?

5 posters

Go down

Adding dirt? Empty Adding dirt?

Post  scmelik 4/21/2011, 12:49 am

The area that I have my SFG is a cement pad that has kind of been over grown with weeds the past few year. It is big enough that It will be a perfect place for my compost, close to the garden(s), good sun, etc. When I was out there the other day cleaning up the pad a bit, I noticed quite a bit of dirt on top of the cement when I was raking up all the debris. Is it going to be a problem just throwing that in compost along with everything else?
scmelik

Back to top Go down

Adding dirt? Empty RE: adding dirt ?

Post  westie42 4/21/2011, 12:57 am

That is the best thing you could do for the new compost pile. The best recommendation is to compost right on the ground. That way bacteria, worms etc can become a valuable part of it and add to the process. If on concrete then adding a little soil regularly would nicely enhance the process. Weeds with viable seeds attached may cause some trouble by passing along uncomposted live seeds and diseased plants too are bad for the compost pile.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Adding dirt? Empty Re: Adding dirt?

Post  WardinWake 4/21/2011, 2:16 am

scmelik wrote:The area that I have my SFG is a cement pad that has kind of been over grown with weeds the past few year. It is big enough that It will be a perfect place for my compost, close to the garden(s), good sun, etc. When I was out there the other day cleaning up the pad a bit, I noticed quite a bit of dirt on top of the cement when I was raking up all the debris. Is it going to be a problem just throwing that in compost along with everything else?

Howdy Somelik:

As long as you have a hot compost pile (160 to 180 degrees or higher) any seeds that you import into your compost pile from the soil should be killed along with the seeds that you will have naturally in your compostable materials. A hot compost pile will have a proper mix of green, brown and moisture. See the section on composting in the "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening" book.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/21/2011, 12:08 pm

westie42 wrote:That is the best thing you could do for the new compost pile. The best recommendation is to compost right on the ground. That way bacteria, worms etc can become a valuable part of it and add to the process. If on concrete then adding a little soil regularly would nicely enhance the process. Weeds with viable seeds attached may cause some trouble by passing along uncomposted live seeds and diseased plants too are bad for the compost pile.
Nope the dirt is no problem and probably will help the pile by introducing microbes that are beneficial to the pile. There are several threads about composting on this forum that you may find helpful, with good links and lots of info. You may use the search feature to find those threads.
Not to contradict Ward, but I think that seed viability drops dramatically when temps in the pile hit 130F, the higher the temps, the less viable the seeds becomes, until it is killed.

You can read more here in Composting Basics. What a Face
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  dawj 4/21/2011, 7:47 pm

I use a black composter myself but i think the concrete will sure hold the heat in the summer and if you cover your pile with a dark tarp or garden size trash bags (only on the top to help with holding in the heat air is needed in the process) Remember to stir that pile everyday to speed up the process. A composter is like 100 at tractor supply and worth every penny faster than a pile and easier to roll around the yard to your SFG. Compost is really priceless think of how much people spend for it? How much do people pay for manure? The best part about YOUR compost is YOU know whats in it and you can enjoy black gold...you make friends too....your neighbors will be begging for it when they find out you have compost. Brown, green, water and most important heat and stirring the more you mix it the faster it breaks down. You might even find a used one on craigslist. I've had mine for years and it paid for itself the first season.
dawj

Male Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down