Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So, how to fasten the grid together? Toplef10So, how to fasten the grid together? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So, how to fasten the grid together? I22gcj10So, how to fasten the grid together? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
So, how to fasten the grid together? Toplef10So, how to fasten the grid together? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

So, how to fasten the grid together? I22gcj10So, how to fasten the grid together? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

So, how to fasten the grid together?

+13
Dunkinjean
CindiLou
yosoypanadero
Goosegirl
Mirjam
quiltbea
BackyardBirdGardner
kjenkins82
sherryeo
ashort
GlassHen
boffer
retired member 2
17 posters

Go down

So, how to fasten the grid together? Empty So, how to fasten the grid together?

Post  retired member 2 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:11 pm

I am ready to put my grid on my boxes and am wondering what everyone did to hold the grid together at the intersections. I was going with the nut and bolt idea, but my husband says that is not the cheapest or the easiest. Ideas?
retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

So, how to fasten the grid together? Empty Re: So, how to fasten the grid together?

Post  boffer Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 pm

another option is aluminum pop rivets
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

So, how to fasten the grid together? Empty Re: So, how to fasten the grid together?

Post  GlassHen Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 pm

This is what I did for our grid last year and it worked out perfect. I was able to reuse it this year too.

I notched out some cheap lathe with a circular saw so they "locked" together on their own...

I found a bundle of these 48" scraps for super cheap, so I picked it up. At first I was going to lie the grid flat and screw it together. But that to me seemed like too much work and a waste of 40 screws. I decided to make a self locking grid.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 09DSC_3189

I clamped the wood together and using a circular saw I cut them down to size and made some notches. I made the notch directly in the center first and then I measured 12 inches out from the center for my second and third notches.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 10DSC_3190

So, how to fasten the grid together? 12DSC_3198

So, how to fasten the grid together? 11DSC_3195

All I had to do next was slide them together in the boxes. No screws necessary.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 13DSC_3199

Hope that helps someone Smile
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm

GlassHen wrote:This is what I did for our grid last year and it worked out perfect. I was able to reuse it this year too.

I notched out some cheap lathe with a circular saw so they "locked" together on their own...

I found a bundle of these 48" scraps for super cheap, so I picked it up. At first I was going to lie the grid flat and screw it together. But that to me seemed like too much work and a waste of 40 screws. I decided to make a self locking grid.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 09DSC_3189

I clamped the wood together and using a circular saw I cut them down to size and made some notches. I made the notch directly in the center first and then I measured 12 inches out from the center for my second and third notches.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 10DSC_3190

So, how to fasten the grid together? 12DSC_3198

So, how to fasten the grid together? 11DSC_3195

All I had to do next was slide them together in the boxes. No screws necessary.

So, how to fasten the grid together? 13DSC_3199

Hope that helps someone Smile

Brilliant - nice job

to the OP - I just use string wrapped around screws on the frame...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 pm

clb58,

I don't even know what an aluminum pop rivet is - but Boffer is very knowledgeable and I'm sure what he suggests works great. I am in awe of GlassHen's method. But my husband is really not very carpentry-oriented. We just used a staple gun and stapled our pieces of lath together and to the frame. It may not be as elegant as other methods, but it's good enough for me. The lath that we were able to find seemed pretty flimsy and I'm not sure it would have held up with heavy screws, anyway.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  retired member 2 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Boffer what are aluminum pop rivets?
retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:25 pm

I used the straightest pieces of bamboo I could find and tied them with garden twine at 12 inch intersections. They may not be completely accurate but pretty close and I like the way the look. Smile
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

Post  GlassHen Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Sherry Owens wrote:
I am in awe of GlassHen's method. But my husband is really not very carpentry-oriented.

My husband isn't carpentry-oriented either....doing this grid project is how I learned to use a circular saw. Smile
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm

GlassHen - You go, girl! I'm proud of you - getting what you wanted done even if hubby couldn't do it! I'm all for that - unfortunately my desire to be independent, self confident and pro-women's lib goes out the window when the threat of power tools arises - I'm afraid of the noisy things!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 pm

GlassHen wrote:My husband isn't carpentry-oriented either....doing this grid project is how I learned to use a circular saw. Smile

Good for you! Cutting boards in half is one thing. Cutting these kind of notches with a circular saw is something else altogether. Uh...I don't know if I would have been comfortable doing it with a circular saw!

Anyhow, rivets look like this, they come in different diameters and lengths:
So, how to fasten the grid together? Zrivet10

They are installed with a tool that looks like this, about $25
So, how to fasten the grid together? Zpop-r10

If you need the grid to fold up (collapse) then nuts and bolts or rivets work well. If not, tying the intersections with string, or zip ties, or baling wire, or whatever, will work fine.

A lot of us are starting to use string or yarn for a grid. It's just too cheap and easy not to, and the plants don't seem to notice the difference! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 pm

If money is of concern, a lot of us use string. Personally, I also like the look better. I feel string gives me more planting room than lath.

Measure every 12 inches around the perimeter of your bed. Drive either a nail, screw, or an "eye" screw into your marks. Just run your string lengthwise down and back and down and back. Then, do the width the same way. Your strings will obviously cross and you will have a grid in no time.

String and nails are cheap, relatively speaking.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

So, how to fasten the grid together? Empty Mine is cheap screws and twine

Post  quiltbea Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 pm

I've tried venetian blind slats last year, and they were pretty good, but they move in the wind so I had to put rocks on them to hold them in place.

This year I screwed 3/4" screws along the top at the foot marks on my raised beds and attached twine.
So, how to fasten the grid together? 04-12-14
Like so. Easy and cheap.
I tried screwing inside the box but I found that the twine just wouldn't hold at that angle. It kept popping off. Instead I put the screws along the top and now it works fine.
The venetian blind you see inside my A-frame is just a temporary marker. I put in 2 tomato transplants so I have some maturing into late fall inside the A-frame, one at the tallest points on either side of the frame, so I don't put a twine marker there. The blind slat will be suitable there since its where I will put plants I am hardening off and where I'll start new lettuce until they can go in the garden..
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 am

hi, it depends on what you use for a gid; I used thin wood lath, and I just stapled them together with an electric stapler (the kind you use for upholstery and stuff, not the kind you use for paperwork).
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:36 am

GlassHen wrote:
Sherry Owens wrote:
I am in awe of GlassHen's method. But my husband is really not very carpentry-oriented.

My husband isn't carpentry-oriented either....doing this grid project is how I learned to use a circular saw. Smile

Mine either. I borrowed a drill from work to assemble my boxes (can't find my charger) over the weekend, but had to do a bit of cutting as well (circular saw). When Monday morning came around Hubby asked if I was taking the saw back as well, I just grinned and said "No way, that's MY saw!" He just gave me a disgusted look and shook his head...
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Brilliant - nice job

Same here, 2 1/2" wood (deck screws) to hold the box together, and hemp string wrapped around every foot to grid it off. I did that lath in the first year, it got old fast, started rotting, and i didn't like how soil stayed up underneath the lath, I wanted it all to be smooth.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 pm

I use eye screws so I won't scratch myself. It and twine make a nice easy grid.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:28 pm

My husband and I made a 4 x 4 for our son and family in NY state and used twine and thumbtacks as a grid and it worked fine! Very Happy

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

yosoypanadero wrote:

Brilliant - nice job

Same here, 2 1/2" wood (deck screws) to hold the box together, and hemp string wrapped around every foot to grid it off. I did that lath in the first year, it got old fast, started rotting, and i didn't like how soil stayed up underneath the lath, I wanted it all to be smooth.

Didn't think about using hemp string... I guess when season is over, you just light it up... So, how to fasten the grid together? 53366
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:45 am

I used hemp string last year and it did not last the whole summer season. Sad

This year I am using nylon mason twine in some boxes and 1/2 inch thick cedar my husband ripped from scrap wood for at least one box. the cedar is put together with bolts, washers and nuts so I can collape the grid and put it away over the winter.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

So, how to fasten the grid together? Empty Plastic snap rivets

Post  kevin95630 Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 am

I used the slats from a cheap set of vinyl blinds ($10 new, free if you can scavenge them), and held them together using plastic snap rivets. You can find the plastic snap rivets at a computer or electronic supply place. They use them for holding things in place in computer enclosures. They work great because you don't need a tool to push them together, they are plastic, so they last forever, they are small and easy to work with, and cheap (a couple dozen for $2).
kevin95630

http://www.ulc.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 am

kevin95630 wrote:I used the slats from a cheap set of vinyl blinds ($10 new, free if you can scavenge them), and held them together using plastic snap rivets. You can find the plastic snap rivets at a computer or electronic supply place. They use them for holding things in place in computer enclosures. They work great because you don't need a tool to push them together, they are plastic, so they last forever, they are small and easy to work with, and cheap (a couple dozen for $2).
I know it's been a couple of years... Do you still use those? If so, can you post a picture? (I'm looking for replacements for the ones in the grids I got from the SFG Store. My mom says they used to use something like that, but metal, to hold legal papers in folders in the 50's)
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  jjlonsdale Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 am

I used 3/8" dowel rods from Lowe's. They were 76 cents each and they already come in 4' lengths. Then I used zipties (the small 4" kind, something like four bucks for 100) at the intersections. You just have to alternate the angle of your zip-ties: if you do one join with your ziptie at a / angle, the next one should be a \ angle, and so on. It was by far the easiest part of my whole garden setup!
jjlonsdale
jjlonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down