Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Toplef10Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? I22gcj10Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Toplef10Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? I22gcj10Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South?

+5
Goosegirl
Furbalsmom
elliephant
dmsandlin
RobinLR
9 posters

Go down

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Empty Hello from Little Rock...Middle South?

Post  RobinLR 4/12/2011, 12:22 pm

Well I didn't want to lurk for too long. I have been reading posts for a week or so now and find you all to be a very kind bunch. I have gone to forums of other sorts before and never went back after seeing how rude people can be to one another, even with a common interest.

I guess I am in the Middle South zone, it looks like Little Rock is on the cusp. Since I don't have the winters that northern AR has I figured I should associate with the lower part of the state.

Well, my boxes and grids are built, I have the rebar and pipe for the trellis and mm is mixed and in the boxes...then it dawned on me that the tomatoes I planted two summers ago were eaten down to the dirt by squirrels and I think I saw a couple sitting around laughing at me while my husband leveled and filled my boxes. Guess I will have to build a cage around everything now. I was looking at the gallery and saw another new members pics, thank you scubadoo for posting them, I think that may be my solution also.

By the way, I wanted to say that my husband mixed three boxes (24 CU FT) worth of mm in the back of his pickup bed. It worked great, he just backed up to the beds and shoveled it out. Make sure to keep the windows closed to the cab though, the interior is now brown instead of gray.

Thanks for hearing me,
Robin
RobinLR

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Empty Welcome!

Post  dmsandlin 4/12/2011, 12:26 pm

Hey, RobinLR. I'm in Bryant but work in LR. Hope you enjoy this forum and style of gardening as much as I do.

What are your plans for planting?
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Empty Re: Hello from Little Rock...Middle South?

Post  elliephant 4/12/2011, 12:43 pm

LOL Too funny about the truck cab!

This really is a friendly forum. Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 396615
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Empty Re: Hello from Little Rock...Middle South?

Post  Furbalsmom 4/12/2011, 12:50 pm

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 654548 Robin,
RobinLR wrote:By the way, I wanted to say that my husband mixed three boxes (24 CU FT) worth of mm in the back of his pickup bed. It worked great, he just backed up to the beds and shoveled it out. Make sure to keep the windows closed to the cab though, the interior is now brown instead of gray.
Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 889526 I can see it now. One of our members had vermiculite in her car, with a hole in the bag. She ended up in a vermiculite snow globe.

How wonderful to have your beds filled and ready to go. (except for the squirrel barrier) We don't have too much trouble with squirrels here, but the deer keep grazing on our wildlife buffet unless there is deer netting or some such protection.

Because I have an abundance of cabbage worms in my neighborhood, I took a tip from a couple of our members and am using tulle (like for wedding veils) I had some, but bought more when it was on sale at my fabric store, and made tents, over my hoops. This is great for a bed that contains veggies that don't need to be pollinated, things like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, beets and radishes.

Enjoy your SFG and please keep us updated on your progress. We I love you photos too!

Again, Welcome Robin!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? Empty Plan(ting) too much!!

Post  RobinLR 4/12/2011, 12:54 pm

I am in Otter Creek so we are right next door dm!!

I have plenty of seeds for next year now. I bought the seeds at the same time I bought the box supplies then had to find all of the mm components and wait for my husband to place the boxes and mix the mm for me.

I think I will plant carrots and marigolds this week and try to get something built for the squirrels. I just know they will eat my seeds and any seedlings I plant, I don't want to spend the money just to look out and see a squirrel buffet. It is depressing looking out at three lonely boxes with perfect soil in them just waiting to spring to life.

I guess I could plant low growing plants and make the small cover like the one in the book for now. I have a lot of trellis plans though, and the kids were looking forward to eating the beans.
RobinLR

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/12/2011, 1:02 pm

RobinLR wrote:I think I will plant carrots and marigolds this week.....

If you are going to plant carrots this week anyway, do a square on Friday 4-15-11 for Carrot Week! (click on the banner at the top of the forum page to go to that thread) or search 'Carrot'

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  dmsandlin 4/12/2011, 1:19 pm

I don't have to worry about critters for now - just a 4 1/2 lb toy poodle who likes to jump up in the beds and "help" with the watering, but cheap fencing has taken care of that problem.
This is my 2nd year of gardening & 1st year of SFG. Anxious to see what thrives and what dies when the heat cranks up.

Happy growing!
Donald
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/12/2011, 4:17 pm

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here

So glad to have ya!

I'm in the middle south as well. Please drop on by the middle south regional forums and give us a holler.

I'm at a new place this year and there are squirrels galore. I'm a bit concerned for the safety of my future tomato forest. So far, they've stayed out of my garden and in the trees. Do let us know how your cage works for you.

Take care and happy gardening!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/12/2011, 5:06 pm

RobinLR wrote:I guess I am in the Middle South zone, it looks like Little Rock is on the cusp. Since I don't have the winters that northern AR has I figured I should associate with the lower part of the state.

Welcome aboard, Robin!! I'm glad your first impression has been a good....errrr correct...one. The people are great here. So polite. And, I know of plenty other forums where people seem to hide behind the computer screen and become real jerks. It's very, very rare here. In fact, I don't think I've seen it yet.

At any rate, you likely are a middle south person. But, I would encourage you to poke around all the forums, especially neighboring regions. Like you mentioned, your winters don't really compare to northern Arkansas. So, your climate doesn't sort of fit there......in winter time. However, it may in spring, or some other time. You know your climate better than any of us, especially if you pay attention to it more than most people. So, you will likely know which climate fits you best at certain times. Get familiar with them, they aren't rigid boundaries.

Take care, and hope to see you around the forums!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/12/2011, 5:24 pm

elliephant wrote:LOL Too funny about the truck cab!

This really is a friendly forum. Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 396615

Howdy:

Last summer I went to the doctor with a gash in my leg. For a MD he can be somewhat plane spoken at times. When he asked how it happened I said I fell out of the back of my pickup while shoveling out horse compost. Grinning from ear-to-ear He said, "Let me get this straight, you fell out of your truck while shoveling horse S". Yep. Smile

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/12/2011, 5:31 pm

Hello from Little Rock...Middle South? 654548 fellow Middle Souther. Fire away with questions to help your SFG thrive and we'll do our best to help. We have a great climate here for almost FOUR season gardening.

Good luck !
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down