Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Collecting rainwater Toplef10Collecting rainwater 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Collecting rainwater I22gcj10Collecting rainwater 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Collecting rainwater Toplef10Collecting rainwater 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Collecting rainwater I22gcj10Collecting rainwater 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Collecting rainwater

+17
landarch
donnainzone5
CindiLou
FamilyGardening
viola
cheyannarach
Unmutual
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
BackyardBirdGardner
Old Hippie
Ha-v-v
camprn
NAR56
boffer
twangster
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty Rainwater Harvesting

Post  twangster 1/5/2011, 12:47 pm

Hello everyone! I just bought two 275 gallon IBC food grade totes to use for rainwater collecting from my roof. I could build a 4' high deck to gravity feed the water to my garden beds but my beds are about 40' away. Should I use an electric pump and leave them at ground level? I'm thinking if I use a pump, I could bury pvc across the yard. Also, I'm thinking a soaker hose is my cheapest route, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
twangster
twangster

Back to top Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty Re: Collecting rainwater

Post  boffer 1/5/2011, 1:11 pm

Hi,

The idea of gravity powered watering systems is a great one, but a lot of folks on the forum have been disappointed with the results.

I think you'd be happier with a pump system. It will be more time efficient, and allow you to consider many different watering options. Some folks report good results with soakers; some like the drip systems; some still use a garden hose and wand. But they all require more pressure than gravity provides.

Choksaw mentions in this post that he is starting a similar project soon. He is one of the gravity watering experimenters from last spring who were disappointed. I look forward to seeing his video. He has done some nice how-to threads.

Let us know how it goes.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  NAR56 1/7/2011, 5:44 pm

I have 1 275 gallon IBC container for rain water at gound level and I use a sump pump I got at Harbor Freight for around $40. The sump pump is connected to a garden hose with a watering wand and I am pleased with the results. My sump pump will not fit into the IBC without modifying the IBC, so I have to fill a 20 gallon plastic tub and pump it out from there.
NAR56
NAR56

Back to top Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty Rainwater Harvesting Manual

Post  camprn 1/27/2011, 7:31 pm

Rainwater Harvesting Manual from the Texas Water Development Board.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/27/2011, 8:01 pm

camprn wrote:Rainwater Harvesting Manual from the Texas Water Development Board.
Nice manual Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty Collecting rainwater

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 10:12 am

We have talked about rainbarrels on here before and some of you didn't think you get very much rain in the summer, at least not enough to warrant getting a rainbarrel. Here is a link I found rather interesting. You put in your Zip code and they will tell you how much you can collect in your area. Thought some of you might be interested.

http://www.bushmanusa.com/?gclid=CIzYqarKiqgCFQQ7gwodyFkoDA

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/7/2011, 10:19 am

Very cool. Now, what on earth will I do with 27,000 gallons of water this year? Open a neighborhood theme park, maybe? And, charge admission.... Twisted Evil Now, THAT is a reusable resource.

Thanks so much for sharing! I hope a lot of people realize they get more water than they thought.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 10:27 am

I know!! It is amazing isn't it!! We really don't realize how much of a valuable resource water is and how much of it we just let go to waste. We haven't had that much rain here this spring, but when the snow started melting, my DH filled all four of our rainbarrels with snow. That melted down and filled them about a third of the way. It rained quite hard yesterday for about 15 minutes and they are all full now.

Between SFG, composting and collecting rainwater, we really could make a huge dent in the problem of world hunger.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/7/2011, 10:28 am

I was one of them. Neat site, thanks.

My thinking was correct. But the obvious solution that I overlooked, was to get bigger storage tanks so they could hold more water longer to get through the dry spell. Now, I wonder how much that tank costs that's bigger than an 8 person hot tub? Razz
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 10:39 am

boffer wrote:I was one of them. Neat site, thanks.

My thinking was correct. But the obvious solution that I overlooked, was to get bigger storage tanks so they could hold more water longer to get through the dry spell. Now, I wonder how much that tank costs that's bigger than an 8 person hot tub? Razz

You were one of the ones I was thinking of when I found that site. Some of those are humongous aren't they? LOL! Speaking of hot tubs......Mother Earth News, back when we subscribed to it light years ago before it had glossy photographs, had an article on building a wooden hot tub. So if you built one of those you could just put a roof over it, fire up the gigantic stove you would need to heat it and use it as a hot tub all winter. Wink Then use the grey water to water your garden come summer. Grey water is a great garden resource.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/7/2011, 10:51 am

I think I remember that issue! But the secret truth about hot tubs is...the only thing they're good for is to help young men get young women out of their clothes! Think about it: how many people do you know have owned and used a hot tub more than ten years? There's so many used ones available that people can't give them away. The American population is aging, we don't need hot tubs anymore! rofl

I agree that grey water is a great resource. Now, if we could just convince the building inspectors of that.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 11:06 am

boffer wrote:I think I remember that issue! But the secret truth about hot tubs is...the only thing they're good for is to help young men get young women out of their clothes! Think about it: how many people do you know have owned and used a hot tub more than ten years? There's so many used ones available that people can't give them away. The American population is aging, we don't need hot tubs anymore! Collecting rainwater 889526

I agree that grey water is a great resource. Now, if we could just convince the building inspectors of that.

You probably DO remember that issue. Collecting rainwater 262465 Since when has advancing age stopped men from trying to get women to take their clothes off? You obviously haven't spent enough time visiting people in seniors homes. So since you won't be needing the "hot tub" anymore Wink you can skip the heating part and just save the water.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty Collecting Rainwater ILLEGAL?!!

Post  mollyhespra 11/23/2012, 8:15 am

I thought I'd start a new topic on this but the credit goes to the Keyhole Garden discussion where this came up.

Maybe this is old news for some of you, but my jaw just about hit the floor when I read up on it.

Did you know that collecting rainwater is illegal in a few states?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/23/2012, 8:56 am

Oh water rights is a VERY SERIOUS thing. Yup, water is tremendously precious out west. So little water falls out west that more of it gets taken out of the Colorado river than is replenished annually. Unless it snows A LOT in the mountains, the river is a mere shadow of it's former self.

Have you ever read The Milagro Beanfield War ?

The link you provided leads to an article that lacks adequate general historical information about water rights and it seems like an inflammatory piece regarding 'Liberty' in general. Water, where ever it is, is a very, very precious resource that needs management. Particularly in arid areas. I was glad to see recent changes in the Colorado laws.

Water rights in the USA have a long history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_right#Water_rights_in_the_United_States

http://water.usgs.gov/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Collecting rainwater WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/23/2012, 9:44 am

Thread moved to Everything Else.

You got it camp. In arid climates like Colorado, water is a precious commodity. Especially when other towns, states, farms, ranches etc. downstream depend on the flow of water not only from rain, but ice melt as well. Snow and snow melt is of HUGE importance here in Colorado. I'm just hoping we don't have another summer and winter like we did this past season, or we are going to be in hurting Embarassed

Collecting rainwater Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/23/2012, 6:51 pm

Homes just a block from us have "water rights" from a canal that is close by. Where I live we don't have access to that "water". I don't know if I would want it anyway. I have heard there are lots of weed seeds and chemicals. As if our faucet water doesn't have chemicals.

I have heard of others using "grey" water and have been contemplating doing research on whether the "grey" from tubs and sinks can be used here in Utah outside. A problem would be how to get it outside easily without breaking our backs and spilling it everywhere. Some bath water is quite clean after its use. It seems a shame to just let it go down the drain and have it go get "treated". I will go and try to do my research.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/23/2012, 7:05 pm

I found the laws for Utah and it sounds quite complex with lots of strict requirements, which is understandable. It sounds expensive but I will try to find if someone has been successful with this in a simple and inexpensive fashion. Free would be good, lol. The Health Dept. even has to come and inspect the set up.

One item I noted was that the "grey" water could not come in contact with vegetables to be eaten. That is interesting.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 11/24/2012, 7:15 am

Most people use grey water for fruit trees to avoid all the issues of "unclean" water. Brad Lancaster has done excellent work in harvesting rainwater in Arizona.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/24/2012, 7:48 am

I think Mother Earth News has had articles of retrofitting for collecting rainwater, diverting water in other ways and grey water use.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Collecting rainwater WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/24/2012, 10:22 am

Wow, I had no idea that rain water would have sooo many rules.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Collecting rainwater Empty I´m lucky

Post  viola 11/24/2012, 1:30 pm

Wow, I guess I should be lucky to live in Sweden. When I read about your problems with water I feel a little bit ashamed of myself that I have been complaining about all the rain we have been given in our country this year. It seems like it has been raining everyday and all my containers are filled and running over for a long time ago.
If I could I would send you some water Very Happy .
viola
viola

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/24/2012, 2:56 pm

I will have to use some on my fruit trees Unmutual. Every bucket full would be that much less going down the drain!

Cheyanne, I agree.

Viola, but too much of anything is about as bad as too little, even rain.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 11/24/2012, 8:38 pm

What a Face
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 11/27/2012, 2:09 am

We don't have water issues in Iowa so far. Of course another year like last could be the point were we get asked to conserve. But water is collectable even without a permit as long as it is less than 25k a day taken. So far that is what I have found. But we do have areas that were getting concerned last summer with the drought. And a few spots had their water reservoirs get low enough to have to buy from other sources.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/28/2012, 11:16 pm

I hope you get good rain, but not too much!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next