Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Free Poo! Toplef10Free Poo! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Free Poo! I22gcj10Free Poo! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Free Poo! Toplef10Free Poo! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Free Poo! I22gcj10Free Poo! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Free Poo!

+4
FarmerValerie
MasonGarden
lizzo
sarah in the garden
8 posters

Go down

Free Poo! Empty Free Poo!

Post  sarah in the garden 4/5/2011, 9:28 am

I had to purchase compost for my MM because I am a newbie gardener. I was so frustrated because it seemed like the same small limited selection at every garden store I went to (cow & mushroom). I did manage to find some hen manure (got very excited)! So I decided to start composting.

My compost bin is a truly ugly thing that is wonderfully serving it's purpose, but I need more mass to get things going. It suddenly occurred to me when we took the kids swimming at my husband's aunt's house.....free poo!

The aunt and uncle live on a lot of property about an hour north of us, and they have a donkey and several goats. I'm pretty sure that is safe to use, herbivores, right? I am welcome to any and all I can shovel and haul away.....

My question is, what is the best way to do this? Just shovel into some heavy duty trash bags, throw it into the back of the SUV and spritz the car with air freshener? It seems like such a pain and a lot of work, but so much free compostable material....I can't resist.... Rolling Eyes

I appreciate any advice! (I am a stay at home mom, so I'd probably be doing this with 4 yr old daughter in tow). Free Poo! 109486
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Free Poo! Empty Re: Free Poo!

Post  lizzo 4/5/2011, 9:34 am

Great score! Now you're thinking like a real SFGer! Other members have reported doing exactly what you're planning on. Their advice: secure the container tops to keep said stuff in the container; apparently it gets messy to clean up if you don't!
lizzo

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 9:49 am

How about 5-gallon buckets? The lids on these lock fairly securely, and you can store the compost in them if you need to. They are fairly inexpensive to buy, but you may be able to get some for free from local restaurants. There is a Firehouse Subs restaurant near us that will give you a pickle bucket for a $2 donation to the Fireman's Fund. Good luck collecting your free poo!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/5/2011, 9:52 am

You just had to mention Firehouse Subs didn't you. I love me some Firehouse subs!!!

Don't bother with buckets from Lowe's the lids do not seal right, or tight. Home Depot or Sherwin Williams are an option, and restaraunts would be even better. Look for restaraunts that have pickles on the menu-they go through so many sliced dill pickles on the burgers most of them just give the buckets away. It is hard to get the smell out, but if all you are using them for is poo, than no worries, but I would not use them to store bulk food items, like sugar and flour in them.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 4/5/2011, 9:55 am

LOL! I tried new Firehouse Subs near me for the first time last week. Yum!! hungry Walked out with a bucket for my compost, too!
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah in the garden 4/5/2011, 10:13 am

Firehouse Subs, who knew?? I have a lot of 5 gal. buckets left in my shed from the previous owners of this house, but no lids to them. However, my hubby works in a Mexican restaurant on the weekends, I'm sure they have some buckets that will work for poo. A container with a lid is a much better way to go than some trash bags!

I have read (and re-read) Mel's book cover to cover and I am really trying to be creative and inventive with all of this. I spent $ on my box and the MM, and built a smaller box and the compost bin from free materials in the garage and shed. I am hoping to impress my husband enough with the harvest to get a bigger gardening budget! Very Happy Very Happy
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/5/2011, 10:41 am

Sarah - I agree on the 5-gallon bucket idea. That's what I used last week when I collected some from goats & chickens. The lids kept everything from spilling and also did a great job of holding in the odors. Congrats on the score!!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/5/2011, 11:01 am

just a couple of hints..........We have new rules for hauling manure at our house.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you just use trash bags. They break and spilled poo in the back of the SUV is a definite NO-NO, even if it did smell way worse when you bought it used then after you spilled the poo in it.

Five gal. buckets are great but make sure the lids are on VERY tight. Free Poo! 46987 Use a hammer to smack them down. When you put the buckets in the SUV, make sure you put something around them to keep them from tipping over should you have to slam on the brakes, take a curve too fast or get rear-ended. Free Poo! 45993

At our house we now haul all poo in a trailer.

Gwynn

Free poo is a good thing.
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 4/5/2011, 11:04 am

Just have to say I received a bit of a jolt upon reading "swimming in the pool" and "free poo"... Oh, the images that jumped to my mind...
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/5/2011, 11:59 am

Old Hippie - Free Poo! 889526

Jazzymaddy, me too! When I first read it, I thought - Swimming pool + free poo + Shocked .

But, how great to have family with animals with desireable droppings.

And now I am quite sad that we have no Firehouse Subs here.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah in the garden 4/6/2011, 7:58 am

sarah in the garden wrote:It suddenly occurred to me when we took the kids swimming at my husband's aunt's house.....free poo!

Free Poo! 889526

Now everyone knows how my mind works...the kids are swimming in the pool and it makes me think of poo! I guess I just assumed everyone else would follow the impossible leaps and bounds my mind makes.

I was sitting on the back deck of Aunt & Uncle's house, watching the kids swim. The first half of the yard has a pool, swing for the grandson, and a pretty rose garden. There is a fence dividing the property in two, in the back half of the giant yard is a small lake with a dock where the donkey and goats just hang out. I was staring at the goats sitting by the lake when I thought of the poo.

The buckets are a fantastic idea! They will think I'm crazy, but I'm sure they'll let me haul away all I can shovel.
sarah in the garden
sarah in the garden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down