Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rhubarb Info Needed Toplef10Rhubarb Info Needed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rhubarb Info Needed I22gcj10Rhubarb Info Needed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rhubarb Info Needed Toplef10Rhubarb Info Needed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rhubarb Info Needed I22gcj10Rhubarb Info Needed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rhubarb Info Needed

+9
westie42
Esther
Nonna.PapaVino
HouseofWool
mtgrl788
Shoda
ayanefan
garlix
bonnie0128
13 posters

Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty Rhubarb Info Needed

Post  bonnie0128 3/21/2010, 5:03 pm

Does anyone know anything about Rhubarb? I think someone told me last year that it is too big for a typical SFG but I'm not sure. I'd like to grow some (if I can find it).
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty Re: Rhubarb Info Needed

Post  garlix 3/30/2010, 4:53 am

Rhubarb really gets too big. I would not cramp it into a square foot garden. If you have the space, plant it separate. While square foot gardening is great, it's not for ALL plants.
garlix
garlix

Male Posts : 20

http://iSaveSeeds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ayanefan 3/30/2010, 9:05 am

My dad grew HUGE stems of rhubarb; he took a box like the SFG boxes, placed it next to a barn to get partial shade and filled it with mostly compost and soil mixture. He threw in a couple of small transplants and by the 2nd year the box was full of rhubarb, he just let it go and watered it once in a while.
The box was probably 3x3 and it had an endless supply of rhubarb (well, almost).

Don't eat the leaves!
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  garlix 3/30/2010, 9:11 am

Now that you mention boxes, I remembered something. Once the plants start growing, my grandma would put cardboard boxes without a top around the plants. Then they grew a bit taller trying to reach the sunlight. I don't know if that affects the taste or nutritional value of the rhubarb, but the pies and deserts always tasted great! I got two rhubarb roots that I need to plant. I just haven't decided on a spot yet.

If anyone has rhubarb recipes, it's never too early to start sharing and collecting them.
garlix
garlix

Male Posts : 20

http://iSaveSeeds.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/30/2010, 9:47 am

Thanks for the info guys! I found a source today for rhubarb (it'll be ready in 1-2 weeks) so I'm very excited...although I've heard that you shouldn't harvest your first year?

I have no idea where I'm going to put it...but I'll find a place!

As for recipes...once I find the few I have, I'll post a thread in the recipe forum!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 3/30/2010, 1:41 pm

I actually planted rhubarb by our front door of our house (not a SFG). The plants look decorative and we have lots of rhubarb! Because the plant are pretty big and grow year round, I am not sure I would put them in a SFG unless you had some dedicated space.

Interesting note: Last year I pulled out some rhubarb because the stalks were not getting red. I thought perhaps I had grown the wrong variety. The new ones did the same thing as the ones before -- green stalks, very little red even though the variety said red.

After I did a little research I discovered that rhubarb likes cold winters and needs some cold in order to turn red. So, here in my yard in California, I have lots of green stalked rhubarb.

One more note, rhubarb is a heavy feeder and needs good soil or fertilizer.

Good luck!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty How to plant rhubarb

Post  mtgrl788 7/10/2011, 10:06 pm

So if I were to plant rhubarb I'd probably have to plant it in a separate 4x4 box or what size box would be recommended?
mtgrl788

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/10/2011, 10:09 pm

I just planted a spindly little rhubarb this week. I just stuck it in a large pot filled with MM figuring that I can always transplant into a bigger area once I figure out where I want it to go. Hopefully it will take.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 7/10/2011, 10:20 pm

We grow rhubarb here on Yankton Mountain...Good Lord do we grow rhubarb! Don't know the variety, but it's one with great red stalks. We call it Big Mama, because it is huge. It's been grown in the row garden for the last 10 years, getting bigger, and bigger every year. I've divided it three or four times, and given away starts, and Big Mama thrives on the attention. Regime for rhubarb growing: In the early fall, when it looks like Big Mama's getting ready to die back for winter (it does a winter die back here in Oregon), I dump a half bag of good chicken or steer manure compost on her. In the early spring when I see the first sign that Bib Mama is starting her spring growth, she gets the second half of the bag, or another variety of compost, depends on what's going into the other beds. After the first three leaves are out, I sprinkle some Sluggo into the center to discourage slugs (Oregon slugs are voracious in early spring). That's it, unless you count searching the internet for rhubarb recipes to use up all the rhubarb. Enjoy, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty Rhubarb

Post  Esther 7/10/2011, 10:46 pm

When planting it, it needs at least a 3x3 it goes 2 ft deep in the ground and spade in your manure. if thers no source of animal manure, work in compost and a pint of compleat fertilizer under each plant. Set the plant with its crown level with the ground and back fill with good compost, setting it with your hands. My mon always put a layer of old manuner in bottom and than filled with good compost and the sides keep it in. They like shad and morning sun, a well draining soil. They make great food and the flowers are pretty. But dont eat the leaves. I also use brocken egg shells not to ground up cause the slugs dont like them, if you crush them to find they can just go on over them.

First year dont harves at all, second year pull off a few; by third year you can harvest all. When you start getting smaller stalks, its time to divide.
Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 7/10/2011, 10:53 pm

This link to the rhubarb compendium was listed in another thread earlier. It has plenty of info and a lot of recipes. http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/10/2011, 11:31 pm

Great link Westie!
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 7/11/2011, 1:30 am

I wouldn't put it in MM. When you go to pull a stalk out it will end up pulling the whole thing out of the box.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty Re: Rhubarb info needed

Post  garden girl 7/11/2011, 2:59 am

Interesting to hear how rhubarb does in different areas of the country, and perhaps because of different varieties.

My dad brought me a start from his several years ago. I didn't know much of anything about gardening at the time, so I just stuck it in a spot in the "garden" without adding anything at all that I remember. It survived, and now is huge. I seldom do anything to it at all - it thrives even on little water, on a very exposed, south facing part of the lot where it gets beaten up by both sun and wind. Nothing seems to bother it!! The only trouble I have is that some critter doesn't know the leaves are poisonous - all leaves near the ground, and many that are more upright get nearly shredded. But that doesn't stop it's production and vigor. I grow WAY more than I can use, so at least my friends don't have to buy any at farmers markets, etc.

I have no idea what variety my dad gave me, and I've never divided it, although I'm sure I should! I live in hot, dry, and windy south-central Washington.
garden girl

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 7/11/2011, 3:09 am

@mtgrl788 - I have two rhubarb plants and an Earth Machine 80 gallon compost bin in one 4x8 box. They are growing in whatever soil was in there and have been doing well for two seasons. HTH.

JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 7/11/2011, 10:00 am

I did the same as garden girl. I got a start off my father in laws and just stuck it in the ground. This soil is hard and like clay. The first year, my husband thought it was dying, so he mowed it off. This year, the second year, it's huge. I'm letting it be and told the old man not to mow it off this time. I do water it occasionally, but that's all. Maybe I'll give it a shot of Miracle Grow next time I think about it.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Rhubarb Info Needed Empty Rhubarb

Post  mtgrl788 7/11/2011, 11:22 pm

Thank you guys. I love rhubarb. I make this pie/cake jello mixture and it's amazing. Usually made with strawberries and rhubarb but i like it on the sour side!
mtgrl788

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 7/11/2011, 11:48 pm

Rhubarb has to be one of the most under utilized and under appreciated vegetables in the garden. what else can become drinks from punch to wine, desserts from cookies to pies, cakes and cobblers, soups hot or cold used with other vegetables and meats. It’s use is so versatile. Dr. Oz touts it as a cancer preventer, herbalists have used it in medicines or just as a tonic. This site http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ should be required study before gardening can begin.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down